What's new

Shaving Price Increases - Osma Alum Block and more

Prices for the materials needed to make shaving soap have gone up quite a bit. Some ingredients have more than doubled in price.
Yes indeed !
And one of the top veg ingredient in few years will be
almost out of reach .
A great source of stearic acid...

From wikipedia:
(...)Fats and oils rich in stearic acid are more abundant in animal fat (up to 30%) than in vegetable fat (typically <5%). The important exceptions are the foods cocoa butter (34%)[12] and shea butter, where the stearic acid content (as a triglyceride) is 28–45%.[13](...)

(...)
Cocoa butter is becoming increasingly costly.[13][citation needed] Substitutes have been designed to use as alternatives. In the United States, 100% cocoa butter must be used for the product to be called chocolate. The EU requires that alternative fats not exceed 5% of the total fat content.[11](...)

Cocoa butter will be quite expensive in the years to come .

Look up 'crystal deodorant' on a search engine and then hit the 'shopping' window and you will find a few alum sticks from various manufacturers sold as deodorants under $10 CAD. There's even "liquid crystal deodorant" which reminds me of the 'liquid alum' Bugs Bunny gave the opera singer, Giovanni Jones as a throat remedy in that classic episode. It contains "mineral salts" and purified water as the only ingredients.

Look up 'crystal deodorant' on a search engine and then hit the 'shopping' window and you will find a few alum sticks from various manufacturers sold as deodorants under $10 CAD. There's even "liquid crystal deodorant" which reminds me of the 'liquid alum' Bugs Bunny gave the opera singer, Giovanni Jones as a throat remedy in that classic episode. It contains "mineral salts" and purified water as the only ingredients.
Good recommendation.

I just buy this thought...

I am in Canada and $2.99CAD from arguably Canada’s best shaving supply retailer is about as cheap as it gets for 2oz of alum.

I bought a 3 pack of cool alum blocks 75g each for about 8 dollars including shipping on the bay.. They are cut not pressed blocks also ...

Top Bottom