What's new

Shaving Pre-Shower

Lately I've been shaving before I get in the shower, and my results have been fantastic. It seems to be a way to put my oily skin to work for me, allowing close, smooth, slick, comfortable shaves! I reccomend that every guy try this at least once; I was amazed at the difference it made.

I read a post a few weeks ago by someone else who does this - was it you, Kyle?

I do shave before showering; better for me too
I wake up, shave, then Breakfast (I have better before breakfast too, less cuts) and then shower ; I have dry skin and showering means less natural oils for me ; before shaving, I wash my face at the sink with cleanser/ gentle soap, but just the non-beard area ; on the beard, just warm water

rossination said:
Lately I've been shaving before I get in the shower, and my results have been fantastic. It seems to be a way to put my oily skin to work for me, allowing close, smooth, slick, comfortable shaves! I reccomend that every guy try this at least once; I was amazed at the difference it made.

I read a post a few weeks ago by someone else who does this - was it you, Kyle?

Interesting. What does prep work consist of?

Not as much as you might think. I just wet my face really well and go from there - same as if I were to shave in the evening. I usually finish with a cold splash, but save aftershaves, balms, etc. until after the shower.

I think there are advantages and disadvantages with both. I have had nicks either way, and on the other hand I've had some good shaves either way. So long as you prep well, and that may not necessarily mean taking a shower first in my experience, then you stand in good stead to get a decent shave (technique allowing of course).

Hi Joe - I didn't today. I imagine that if I had a really gentle facewash I might try it, but I wouldn't want to mess with anything "heavy".

rossination said:
Hi Joe - I didn't today. I imagine that if I had a really gentle facewash I might try it, but I wouldn't want to mess with anything "heavy".

I may try the pre-shower shave if I find myself in a bad-shave rut.

Have you tried Avalon Organics Lavender Face wash? IT is rather gentle (IMO) and I can say that because I've tried many other face washes that dry my face out and led to lousy shaves. This stuff leaves my skin soft and supple. On days I don't shave, I don't use moisturizer anywhere on face after using it.

If one uses a face wash in the shower after shaving, wouldn't that be too drying, since some skin has been removed with blade ? even with a quality A-S balm, the skin needs more time to regenerate iself

In the summer I like to shave before showering. I shave, then I get a really clean feeling from a lot of cold water on my face in the shower. I'm more into the idea of showering first during the winter. My problem is that I just don't like a hot - or even warm - shower in the summer.

I shave before a shower too. Started years ago when I found I didn't break out shaving before. Now its more so to let any nicks stop before I get dressed.

What do you shave before shower folks do as prep. Do you go through the whole hot towel wrap thing, or just splash a little hot water on?

Splash warm water for maybe a half minute or so and lather on the face (maybe a bowl if the mood strikes) with a brush and shave. I to find it treats my skin better and less irritation to shave before a shower.

I also do wash my face with a face wash in the shower. I just wash the non shaving area and leave the shaved area alone except for a good water rinse.

John

As of recent I have been shaving before shower. And it has been giving me amazing results. I don't shave everyday, only every other.

I always start with a towel wrap for about a minute or so, than tons of hot water on the ole' mug, pre-pro prep cream, towel another 30 secs. and than I'm ready. I have also found that since I have a very sensitive neck, that I have started keepin a little bit of extra shaving foam in my mug for after my shower and thats when I do the clean up of any little areas that I may have missed.

I figured that whenever I go get a straight shave from a barber (which is way more often than not) they start to shave on my face only after the hot towel routine......because I haven't found a barber yet with a shower on site!

To be honest..., I don't do much for prep. ususally just splash a lot of very warm water on my face. Then I lather with whatever high quality cream I am using, such as Truefit and Hill or Taylors. I spend a lot of time lathering and I re-lather before each pass. I know this is far from ideal, but its what fits best into my morning routine. I probably shave 6 out of 7 days, and often I don't have a whole lot of time.

One tactic I occasionally use is to shower before shaving. Then, after, I jump back in the shower to cool off. But that's only when I have the time. In summer I shave before shower. When its really cold, I shower THEN shave.

works for me.

moses said:
What do you shave before shower folks do as prep. Do you go through the whole hot towel wrap thing, or just splash a little hot water on?

I just soak a facecloth under the warm tap and then hold it to my face for about 30 seconds, then simply keep repeating this a few times until I've been doing it for a period of about 2-3 minutes. I then start making my lather in a bowl. About halfway through doing that I soak the facecloth under the tap and hold it to my face again. Then, I carry on lathering and at the end of the lathering process I do one final facecloth-to-face, then its time to apply the lather to my face with the brush :smile:

Top Bottom