What's new

Shaving over a scar?

I had neck surgery some years ago and there is a scar on my lower neck line.

It seems like no matter how hard I try or careful I am, I nick myself...

Any ideas?

Thanks, Steve

Can you give a bit more info? How big is the scar, angle, is it near jawbone or lower neck area? Also what razor are you using?
I have fairly fresh scar under my chin, near my neck. The edge of the scar is rugged and not exactly smooth. At first i was very worried i would nick or cut the scar area, but so far not even a small nick or irritation. But it is not a big scar in terms of lenght or overall size. I do shave over couple of moles on my face, only cut them or nick em very rarely. Mostly when i am not focusing enough.

Pressure is important but so is "speed", i have noticed that if i go too slow/hesitate i sometimes nick myself in trouble areas. I think different angle could be worth trying, if possible. Are you doing different passes over the scar area WTG/XTG/ATG? Noticed the nick happening on certain pass?

I have pretty substantial scar in almost the same place from surgery about four years ago. I only shave down, which is across the scar line, with REALLY no pressure. While I still nick it occasionally, most times it's aOKay. :thumbup1:

Just be careful.

I have a mole on my neck just above and to the left of my adam's apple. My cartridge never cut it but since I've been shaving with a double edge, and depending upon which blade I am using, I tend to nick or cut the mole such that it takes quite a bit of effort to stop the bleeding. What I have found works is a combination of what BSAGuy said which is to mark the spot where the mole is after lathering and before setting blade to face. And then as I work towards the mole I gently and slowly shave around it and when actually shaving over the mole itself, I do so extremely gently applying absolutely zero pressure. Well, it worked this morning. Monday however was a completely different outcome. I have my good days and I have my not so good days. And I take them as they come.

My surgical scar runs from behind the right ear to almost the Adam's Apple, very clean healing but so tender was almost five months before even attempting to shave.

I save that area for the end, regain my focus, zero pressure, less if possible, quite slow steady stoke down across it, (the blade parallel to the scar). Start at the Adam's Apple and step back towards the ear with each stroke.

Surgery was in 2011, i am starting to also shave it with the blade perpendicular to the scar but again it's a very smooth, clean scar. So far never had a bleeder (going either direction) but it's always approached with caution/trepidation.

Focused, (i can drift off) slow, steady, and zero plus pressure. A nice slick coat of lather is also reassuring.

dave

I guess it depends on the scar. I have a facial scar from years ago and its no problem to shave over so long as I go in the length direction of the scar. You could try touching up around the scar with lightly tightening the skin and using a small head cartridge like a Mach3 instead of a DE.

The scar is about 3 inches long. It is near my lower neck area, no where near my jawbone. I use a late 40's superspeed (no date) with a Feather blade. Most of the nicks happen when trying to shave perpendicular to the scar. Although, sometimes the nicks occur in other directions also.

I have been using Cremo Cream lately and seems to provide the slickest and best protection. I really appreciate your feedback and assistance!!!

Steve

Top Bottom