What's new

Shaving on the battleship New Jersey

I took a tour of the USS NEW Jersey BB62 today (Camden, New Jersey).
On one of the crew bunks, several items were laid out as examples of what a sailor from the Viet Nam era might have had in his possession. Of course, the shaving gear caught my eye.
The razor was a Gillette Slim adjustable, along with a pack of Schick blades. I'm guessing a sailor could have purchased a Slim at any PX, correct?

Attachments

• $1017151442.jpg
    $1017151442.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 190
  • $1017151443.jpg
    $1017151443.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 188
  • $1017151443a.jpg
    $1017151443a.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 188
  • $1017151238a.jpg
    $1017151238a.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 188
That's not a wholly inaccurate razor to put on display but a more appropriate razor to place there would have been Tech or a Super Speed :)

No doubt a Slim would have been offered at the PX but the Slim would have been the least likely of all razors to see service on the New Jersey (and enjoyed the shortest lifespan), if you correlate her service years with the years of production of the Slim.

Still very cool to see and thanks for sharing.

Awesome! I'll have to look for that the next time I tour her. My profile pic is me looking through one of the turret periscopes on USS New Jersey.

That's really neat ... thanks for sharing.

I've been wanting to tour the BBNJ, its only a few miles from here. Now I have more motivation to make the trip.

That's not a wholly inaccurate razor to put on display but a more appropriate razor to place there would have been Tech or a Super Speed :)

No doubt a Slim would have been offered at the PX but the Slim would have been the least likely of all razors to see service on the New Jersey (and enjoyed the shortest lifespan), if you correlate her service years with the years of production of the Slim.

Still very cool to see and thanks for sharing.

i don't know about that. I was in the military from 69 to '73 and Vietnam all of '70. The razor generally used the was the adjustable. I know I used one through at least 1971, and most of my buddies did also. The Gillettes were always available in the PX and I would also assume in the Navy exchange. I do not recall anyone using a Tech, and Superspeeds were pretty rare.

I was on a cruiser in Vietnam and for the life of me I don't remember what I shaved with. I believe I didn't shave as Admiral Zumwalt had just let us grow beards and it was the only time in my life I grew one.

This is a pretty cool post. This makes me want to tour the Missouri to see if I can find something on there. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom