What's new

Shaving Oil

Shaving oil is very muich a YMMV type of thing.

Couldn't agree more. If it works for you, go with it. And this advice applies to many things with shaving.
I would also challenge the OP to try using plain old Extra Virgin Olive Oil in place of any pre-shave oil or shaving oil that he may be purchasing. It will likely work just as well if not better, and be 100th the cost

Couldn't agree more. If it works for you, go with it. And this advice applies to many things with shaving.
I would also challenge the OP to try using plain old Extra Virgin Olive Oil in place of any pre-shave oil or shaving oil that he may be purchasing. It will likely work just as well if not better, and be 100th the cost

The potential issue with using olive oil for preshave is that it is very high in oleic acid (about 73%). Oleic acid is known as a lather killer, so if you use it, use it sparingly.

The potential issue with using olive oil for preshave is that it is very high in oleic acid (about 73%). Oleic acid is known as a lather killer, so if you use it, use it sparingly.

Back when I used EVOO as a preshave oil I never experienced anything like that at all. I think its a non issue because you have such a think layer of the oil and its worked in, and then on top your think lather.

Back when I used EVOO as a preshave oil I never experienced anything like that at all. I think its a non issue because you have such a think layer of the oil and its worked in, and then on top your think lather.

It sounds like you followed my advice about "use it sparingly".

Does using an oil only clog your razor? is it more difficult to rinse off? I haven't tried it... and have a plethora of oils that I use for beard....
This is an older thread.
I shave 🪒 daily. I recently began using just shave oil to shave. I chose this one. The only unscented one I could find. It was one of the few the said shaving oil, rather than pre-shave. I switched from using a gel. Easy to use. Just apply 5 drops on wet skin. A little goes a long way. I spread it on with my hands. I really rub it in. Super slick when shaving. My single edge glides over my skin (face and head) easily with fewer strokes. It does not leave my skin oily.

I am a one pass shaver who uses lots of blade buffing. Face and head.
(5 drops on each). I recently shaved off my goatee. When area being shaved gets dry I just wet razor and face like usual.

While shaving, no clogging. It is nice to see what I am shaving. I get a smooth, comfortable shave. Easy to wipe off with a towel. I use a blemish pad to clean face and head afterwards. Less stinging than when using a gel. Skin very moisturized already. I still apply beard oil on face and head. Only issue. When cleaning razor I notice a little extra gunk. It requires a few more swipes of my small cleaning brush to remove. I spray my blade and razor with alcohol to be ready for my next shave.

I have been using shave oil less than a week. I use warm water. Soon I will try tepid. So far so good. I thing I found my new normal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
Last edited:
Top Bottom