What's new

Shaving my legs soon.

Those times I have helped my wife, I have had best success with R41. If you need a longer handle, any third party handle will fit R41.
R41 got wider range of working angles and it is thus easier to pick up even the difficult hairs. Also it is is fairly clog-proof. One pass with R41 already gives a close shave. With other razors you might want to add pass(es).
It was stated he only has one razor and one on the way.

IMHO the Q-Shave will be a good choice. I own one and it is one of my favorites. I am a female DE and Shavette Wet Shaver. I would start with setting 3 and see how that goes for you. Then you can either stay with that or adjust it as you go. Most women start with an against the grain (up) pass but that is up to you given you have coarser and denser hair. Try with the grain (down) on one leg and then across the grain (perhaps XTG both ways) and then against the grain and see how that works out for you. That is how I shave my legs.

I think I'll do it midweek. It sure looks like I'll need a ton of cream. I've got hairy legs.

And yeah, I've got a parker shavette too. But I have no idea how to use it. Only used to scrape my right side face once and threw it back in the box.
Don't use the shavette for the first time on your legs. Trust me!

If I'm not needing to be skin smooth, it's impressive how effective one of the body hair electric razors are. In fact, the idea first occurred to me with a Braun battery-powered hair clipper with a cartridge razor on a sliding handle/head over the wet/dry electric. So far I've only used the electric alone with this device.

I also have an Artist Club DX and that is a damn fine shave going from the top of the legs toward the feet. Just control your blade angle so you don't go too far off shallow. This will be the same advice with a double edge; ride the cap, stay shallow, short strokes. and slow and easy does it. Now, I'll be the first to say there are angles and surfaces you might need help with; that can be a new experience all of it's own. If you're unsure do what you're comfortable with, ask someone you trust and don't go beyond what you are safe with.

I'll toss up, the reason I started was I'm experiencing nerve transmission disorders into my legs. One of the side effects is an occasional sensation 'hair crawling around down there on my calves' due to hair rubbing with my slacks or other pants. Shave it short can sometimes do a heck of a lot more than the medications I've been given to reduce this side-effect of a genetic disease. Smooth skin can be a few weeks of heaven - it almost seems as the break resets the sensitivity of the nerves on the front of my calves.

My wife uses carts with canned foam. When she runs out of foam she tends to use up all of my TOBS cream. :) I think she uses an against the grain pass and primarily shaves while taking a shower.

Buy her a tube of Proraso, her choice of scents. My wife loves it.

Been shaving my legs with a Gillette cartridge for years. Switched to a DE for my face only a month ago, and today used it on my legs. Brilliant. Skin feels so much better. I used the Edwin Jagger with an Astra blade. Not a single nick.

Used the Proraso cream.

When I switched to DE for my face, I thought that I would use my stock of cartridges for my legs. Now, even that is not gonna happen.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My wife has used my Merkur 38C "Barber Pole" many times with great success. I'm not an expert in this camp, but most probably any mild DE razor with a long handle would be a good choice.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
When I was a bicycle racer, leg shaving was important, not for "speed" but in case of an accident the leg was shaved before the hospital visit. Now for some leg shaving just may look/feel nice, like shaving itself.

Because you've never shaved your legs before they're likely a bit hairy. So if it were me I'd reach for something open comb for the first time shave. I'll shave my chest every so often (only when it gets pretty bad) and I've found that this works best to clear the initial mess. This will keep the razor from getting clogged as easily and make your task a bit easier.

After that, whatever you're using to shave your face would likely be fair game. I've shaved my wife's legs several times and I reach for whatever razor I'm particularly fond of at that moment.

I got bored last week and needed something too shave, soon why not shave my legs.
I used a 1912 Gem with a Astra blade, no blood letting or burn.

When I had a beard I also needed something to shave. I gotta say, it’s a weird experience.

I started by using trimmers to cut it down. Then I used a Murker 34c with a GSB.

It’s like a shock to the system if you’ve had long hair all your life.

Be careful around the ankle and knee area and you’ll be fine.

Top Bottom