What's new

shaving mugs/scuttle recommendations

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
If I'm feeling nostalgic, I can use an Old Spice mug or Burma Shave and even an antique occupational mug. if i'm looking for that traditional hot water scuttle, I went the bargain route and use an white, Old World Gravy Scuttle with a cork to hold hot water, or the antique blue & white Union Pacific Railroad Scuttle. If I travel and want a scuttle, i take my favorite, Large Green Marvey Rubber mug and place it on top of a small plug-in, potpourri warmer for a quick warm lather and brush shave.

thumbnail (1).jpg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm going to have to experiment this winter. I used a hillbilly scuttle last winter: a china bowl that fit down into a large soup mug. It gave me nice warm lather which was really nice, but I discovered a spot that just blows up with irritation if I use hot lather.

That's OK in warmer months. I will try again this winter. In the meantime, I have been through a selection of coffee mugs and bowls of various sorts. My current lather bowl is a hammered stainless steel bowl that I found for $4.00 in a local kitchen shop.

IMG_0454[1].JPG

I've looked locally for one of those baby-food-masher bowls that's like a plastic suribachi. I will be looking online for one, along with some other alternatives like the gravy scuttle. Who knows? I may just have to hit up Sarah Bannerman or Georgetown for one, even if in the end I can't make much use of it.

O.H.

OkieStubble

I'm going to have to experiment this winter. I used a hillbilly scuttle last winter: a china bowl that fit down into a large soup mug. It gave me nice warm lather which was really nice, but I discovered a spot that just blows up with irritation if I use hot lather.

That's OK in warmer months. I will try again this winter. In the meantime, I have been through a selection of coffee mugs and bowls of various sorts. My current lather bowl is a hammered stainless steel bowl that I found for $4.00 in a local kitchen shop.

View attachment 1193446

I've looked locally for one of those baby-food-masher bowls that's like a plastic suribachi. I will be looking online for one, along with some other alternatives like the gravy scuttle. Who knows? I may just have to hit up Sarah Bannerman or Georgetown for one, even if in the end I can't make much use of it.

O.H.

Good post. when I use a soap, it's straight from the puck to the face, so a simple mug works on top of a small heat source. My shaves last maybe 5 minutes and I do two modified passes? So I don't need long term heat for a lathered brush. The same with cream and a scuttle. I don't build lather in the bowl, so I don't need a large scuttle. The Gravy Scuttle is small and more of a conical shape that perfectly holds a brush full of lathered cream.

Have really enjoyed my Timeless plastic bowl for the last few months. Received a Captain's Choice copper bowl today. When opened package a very nice looking bowl, first thought, looks a little short, may make a mess. Used for the first time tonight with a Captain's Choice SC sample. Bowl nice and warm when soaking, warm lather for a while +, lathered great and fast +, my first impression was wrong, the design of the rim kept the lather in the bowl very well +, very easy to gather up with brush and press into bowl +, very comfortable in the hand +, easy to clean +, looks great+++++

+1 on the Captain's copper bowls. Been using one for over a year and love it. The patenia is really looking nice as well ... who knows, in 30 years people will be fighting for it on eBay! :001_tongu

Reactions: saj
One thing to keep in mind, the stopper falls into that scuttle quite easily. I hear it's a real pain in the *** to get it back out.
yea thats what i read on some of the amazon reviews,
imo you would have to push in some what for it to go in but yea you never know if youre unlucky

If I'm feeling nostalgic, I can use an Old Spice mug or Burma Shave and even an antique occupational mug. if i'm looking for that traditional hot water scuttle, I went the bargain route and use an white, Old World Gravy Scuttle with a cork to hold hot water, or the antique blue & white Union Pacific Railroad Scuttle. If I travel and want a scuttle, i take my favorite, Large Green Marvey Rubber mug and place it on top of a small plug-in, potpourri warmer for a quick warm lather and brush shave.

View attachment 1193436

I like the idea of using a mug warmer. but doesn't it get too hot? There are some with adjustable temp.

OkieStubble

That adjustable mag warmer is a great idea. But the one I have works well. A ceramic mug will get pretty hot on it if I left it on there long term, but since I am using a rubber mug, it insulates the brush and lather better and because a 2 pass modified shave just doesn’t last that long, so it’s not really in use that long.

ordered one of these porcelain shaving bowls as i need somewhere to keep my brush when its being soaked in water

Ohh yea forgot to post a pic but this porcelain mug for a tenner delivered is really good tbh

How do you like your Qshave scuttle? Functional?
Well it's my first ever scuttle so can't really compare it to any other but I absolutely love it mate!

generally I like warm lather but In this weather bearing in mind I'm a head shaver I especially am loving the warm lather and scuttle as a whole

It's hand made too and at the price point I got it I have to say it's probably the best value for money scuttle I could find, as it was my first ever one i didn't want to spend too much thinking what if I don't like it, you know...

Only thing put me off it was the qshave logo but in the flesh it's actually not that bad,
Plus I got the qshave adjustable razor (merkur futur clone) with stand and leather cover etc so does match well too so overall very pleased tbh

Top Bottom