What's new

shaving mugs/scuttle recommendations

so i'm watching this video by geofatboy on youtube (i've learnt a lot on his vids i like them)

another noob question, so do you essentially need to use a shaving soap/puke with the scuttles? because he puts it on the top of the scuttle

Welcome to B&B, Sir saj1985!

I heartily recommend the hard plastic Proraso mug! Essentially unbreakable, nice handle, ridges on bottom will either hold puke puck or help lather cream (which I use it for)! Affordable as well!

proraso green truefitt hill feather january 2 2018.jpg

I used a bowl until about a month ago. I picked up a cheapo Scott from Amazon and the warm lather has made it immensely more pleasant to shave. I would like to what I bought, but I’m in the US and the link probably won’t help in a different country. Search for Savanna Shave Scuttle.

0D14459F-6B50-4667-B906-9044F6339340.jpeg

for a high end scuttle, search Google for Moss or Georgetown scuttle.

I like the ones from Captain's Choice, a B&B Vendor. I have a ceramic one and just got a copper one

I also have a Becker Scuttle that does not get much use.
1607265888539.png

I prefer Scott's bowls because they are shallow enough that you don't clink your brush against the edges and they are made with ridges on the bottom that help make great lather.

1607265839247.png

Some great recommendations above! :a21: :a21:

I humbly suggest that you try a few bowls from the kitchen or a thrift shop. (You might even luck out and find an Old Spice mug!) Trying a few sizes/shapes should give you a good idea of what size/shape you prefer. Also, you may find if you really prefer to face-lather (which is my preference).

As a start up give a basic salsa bowl consideration. I roughed up the inside with coarse sandpaper, and then glued four pennies to it. I have a wooden shaving bowl with a lid coming either Christmas or my birthday (31 Dec).

DSCF2351.JPG

so i'm watching this video by geofatboy on youtube (i've learnt a lot on his vids i like them)

another noob question, so do you essentially need to use a shaving soap/puke with the scuttles? because he puts it on the top of the scuttle
I personally wouldn’t use that type of scuttle in the video,I’ve got 2 and they’re purely ornamental. A bowl like the Captains choice or a mug like the Proraso are more useable. If you really want warm lather the wider scuttles are fine, but I’m too clumsy for ceramics as I’ve found to my cost!

Welcome to B&B, Sir saj1985!

I heartily recommend the hard plastic Proraso mug! Essentially unbreakable, nice handle, ridges on bottom will either hold puke puck or help lather cream (which I use it for)! Affordable as well!
so thats just a mug not a scuttle though right?

I used a bowl until about a month ago. I picked up a cheapo Scott from Amazon and the warm lather has made it immensely more pleasant to shave. I would like to what I bought, but I’m in the US and the link probably won’t help in a different country. Search for Savanna Shave Scuttle.

View attachment 1191404

for a high end scuttle, search Google for Moss or Georgetown scuttle.

that looks a bit like this oine i saw on amazon, im tempted by the price got decent vreviews only thing is i dont like the big qshave logo :(

I like the ones from Captain's Choice, a B&B Vendor. I have a ceramic one and just got a copper one

I also have a Becker Scuttle that does not get much use.
View attachment 1191406

I prefer Scott's bowls because they are shallow enough that you don't clink your brush against the edges and they are made with ridges on the bottom that help make great lather.

View attachment 1191405
i think i want a scuttle because i can pour in hot water from the kettle and have a warm lather

that looks a bit like this oine i saw on amazon, im tempted by the price got decent vreviews only thing is i dont like the big qshave logo :(

I didn’t care for that one either because of the big logo. Call me picky, but that’s how I felt. I searched for the scuttle that I bought on the UK Sita and it isn’t there.

Here is the one I bought from Amazon US.

Reactions: saj
whats your lots thought on this diy scuttle?

It would work fine, but it would work better if there were ribs and/or protrusions in the inner bowl. That gives the brush something to beat against to help make the lather. You could glue some coins in the bottom to give it that rough texture.

The other thing I’m not a fan of is it’s two pieces. I can see myself breaking it because I’m klutzy like that. I want a one piece scuttle with a handle on it.

Reactions: saj
Top Bottom