What's new

Shaving mug?

My dear mother-in-law, all to familiar with my shaving "problem" came home from vacation with what looks to be a vintage shaving mug. Not having much knowledge on vintage shaving mugs, I'm not exactly sure how this one is to be used. Anyone care to shed some light on this?

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
John
  1. Fill with room temp water
  2. Cut roses in yard
  3. Place roses in said water
  4. Thank Mother in law
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I think its no shaving mug at all.. Looks like a moustache-mug. The upper rim is supposed to protect your moustache from whatever is in your mug. But I can be wrong:rolleyes:

To please your mother in law you now have to grow a big, nice walrus-moustache :biggrin:

No, you fill the large side with cognac and the smaller side holds the cigar. Not very manly looking with the flowers and stuff though, but put a nice Romeo Y Julieta cigar and a good cognac and I am sure that can be over looked.:tongue_sm

It is an absinthe cup. You put the sugar cubes in the small side, tilt it a little and then pour the absinthe. The slots hold the sugar in place while the absinthe flows over in to the larger side. Though I like the oreo cookie better not really found of liquorice.

John its true,
I am sorry to say we have been protecting you from the truth.....

Its a Victorian ladies turn back travel commode ,the beaver brush is missing unfortunately.

I'm sorry- :mad:

fatt_tony said:
It is an absinthe cup. You put the sugar cubes in the small side, tilt it a little and then pour the absinthe. The slots hold the sugar in place while the absinthe flows over in to the larger side. Though I like the oreo cookie better not really found of liquorice.

Nice. That stuff is terrible by the way.

John, I have seen other mugs similar to that one for shaving. I never saw one with flowers though. :lol:

Is there a stamped company name at the bottom of the cup?

Austin said:
John, I have seen other mugs similar to that one for shaving. I never saw one with flowers though. :lol:

Is there a stamped company name at the bottom of the cup?

I am OK with my flowerness.

I'll have to check the bottom tonight as I don't have the mug with me.

Great! So it IS a vintage shaving mug. I'm guessing there used to be soap cakes that fit the top portion? Or maybe just cut a round one in half. Fill the bottom with hot water to keep it warm? Not a lot of room up top to whip up a lather, though.

With The Grain said:
with most soaps the idea is to typically just charge the brush with soap and not whip up a full blown lather on the cake. does it allow enough room for a brush to dip into the deeper portion?

Yes and no. I typicall do what you've said, but I've seen a lot of old scuttles where you keep the soap in the scuttle. Why would you put soap in the scuttle if you weren't going to keep your lather warm in there as well?

In this case, the place where you might stick the soap is very small. You could probably charge the brush with the soap there, but certainly not whip up lather. But I don't understand why you would want to keep the soap warm by itself.

Top Bottom