What's new

Shaving Mug or Coffee Mug...Difference?

I think the only errors here, are assuming what other people's definitions or a shaving mug are. There is no universal definition, nor use, of a shaving mug. Some people use their mug for putting soap in and loading their brush from, some people use it for building the lather. I use my shaving mug for rinsing the razor, which keeps the water in the sink free of stubble for face rinsing. That shaving mug was indeed originally a wide drinking mug, but a "regular" coffee mug probably wouldn't fit the bill for me.

A shaving mug is a more or less mug shaped object, used for some part of the shaving process... even if it's just storing the razor in between shaves. There is no universal role that one should be used for. Different mugs will suit different people for different functions.

Take scuttles for example. Some are water carriers with integrated soap dishes, and some are double walled lather bowls. Totally different items and useage. Some have brush rests, and some don't. Mine is a water carrier and soap holder, with no brush rest, and only takes convex bottomed soaps. Can't build lather in it, and unlike some traditional scuttles, the bouth isn't wide enough to soak a brush in. It's still a scuttle.

I use a "bowl" of some description for putting soap/samples in to load from. It's very rare, but occasionally I'll use one that hasn't got soap in it to start building a lather before face lathering. There's a turned wooden lather bowl which has grated Palmolive in it permanently, and a pewter quaich (Scottish friendship cup) or small food bowl for both a loading bowl for samples or lather building as needed. I don't specifically reserve set bowls for set functions. I just grab something available to suit the required task at the time. Over time, I discovered the dimensions that I needed the bowl to be, was mostly influenced by the brush I was using (especially handle diameter and loft). Bowls which worked great for my Omega Hi-Brush, didn't work so well with my Kent Infinity.

A mug is a mug and a bowl is a bowl. There is a clear difference. No one is saying how they should be used.
The OP wants to know what the difference between a coffee mug and a shaving mug. They are both mugs but neither one is a bowl.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
A mug is a mug and a bowl is a bowl. There is a clear difference. No one is saying how they should be used.
The OP wants to know what the difference between a coffee mug and a shaving mug. They are both mugs but neither one is a bowl.

Ummm... yes they were, and my underlying point was how the item (handled or not, and by whatever name) is intended to be used, and with what, affects which are or are not suitable for the intended task. Form follows function.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
A coffee mug is the perfect size for mug-lathering. It seems several people in this thread are confusing mug-lathering and bowl-lathering. They are not the same thing.
:a9:

We're not confused, we're just trying to be nice when we imply that you don't want to mug-lather. :straight:

This is the one I have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077BV9GS6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 3.40.46 PM.png

I'm a face latherer, so I only need my mug to hold the soap while I load the brush, not to build lather in. I could build lather in there if I wanted to, though.

Newbie here. Question: I've been looking for a proper container for shaving soap and saw some cool shaving mugs. But honestly, what is the difference between an official "shaving mug" and a typical coffee mug that I can grab out of my cupboard?
Nothing. I use a slow feed dog bowl. Thats what works good for me. Functionality should be a strong consideration.

Attachments

• 79C4B927-3586-4F16-9F41-5055B7C4FBB8.jpeg
    79C4B927-3586-4F16-9F41-5055B7C4FBB8.jpeg
    828.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 931C3EE4-03BC-4B18-A937-6E03C2A42F66.jpeg
    931C3EE4-03BC-4B18-A937-6E03C2A42F66.jpeg
    748.9 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: CCR
If your coffee mug fits a soap puck well, and isn't too deep, it would make a fine shave mug.

Pier 1 Latte (2).JPG
Works great with the larger, rounded soap pucks.

Keep trying things and eventually you will find the size, shape, material and texture that works for you. You will be surprised how much of a difference each of these factors make.

Reactions: CCR
Top Bottom