What's new

Shaving Mug Idea

Hi all,

As a newbie, I am not sure where to start a thread on shaving mugs, but I thought that in amongst threads on brushes might not be a bad place. My apology in advance if there is indeed a better forum for this thread.

I just discovered B&B this weekend and have read the many FAQs and posting here with great interest. I have used a brush, soap, and multiblade razor for years, but I realize now that I haven't reached the full potential of wet shaving. I have ordered a Merkur and DE blades and look forward to the "real thing" once they arrive.

In the meantime, I have tried experimenting with "whipping up" shaving cream properly. I went to Target and purchased a green tube of the Proraso cream. Next, I needed something to use as a proper shaving mug to whip the cream (in the past I just applied the soap to the brush, then to my face: not whipping in a bowl). Also at Target I found what I think might be the best solution for a shaving mug I have seen: a rice bowl!

This is a tall (3 7/8"), and wide (4 7/8" outside diameter) bowl. The bottom of the bowl has nicely rounded sides and a wide, rounded bottom (2 1/2" diameter). Best of all: it has a thumb notch! As you can see in the attached shots (at least I hope the shots get attached), the notch allows you to grip the large bowl quite comfortably and feel great control.

I purchased an all-black bowl, but they came in a few different colors. It was $5.99. It works just wonderfully for whipping up lather!

Again, sorry if this is the wrong spot: I just wanted to share! :biggrin:

Best,

Thats pretty slick. I've got a hoss cappucino mug I use currently, but my wife might like to have it back at some point. This could definitely be an option.

I have a rice bowl from target also but it does not have the thumb notch or the other hole. I works really well though.

Well I had a rice bowl for a shaving bowl but the damn cat just knocked it off the sink and it broke in half. Well I guess I get to go shopping for another one.

Too bad about the broken rice bowl. :sad: Maybe the cat was just helping out: now is your chance to get the new one with the thumb notch!

fatt_tony said:
Well I had a rice bowl for a shaving bowl but the damn cat just knocked it off the sink and it broke in half. Well I guess I get to go shopping for another one.

That's a solid story to tell the wife. I'd go with that. You're not fooling any of us though. A new, improved rice/lather bowl is presented and on the same night yours takes a spill? You're suspect Tony. You're on notice. :wink:

cblalock said:
That's a solid story to tell the wife. I'd go with that. You're not fooling any of us though. A new, improved rice/lather bowl is presented and on the same night yours takes a spill? You're suspect Tony. You're on notice. :wink:

Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Sweet looking bowl!

Now if they sold another that you could place underneath, you would have a great do it yourself scuttle.

Marty

Hmmm...maybe that chopstick hole on the side opposite the thumb notch could be used in a scuttle-like arrangement. However, I think I should be careful: we don't want two rice bowls breaking on the same night! :wink:

Cheers,

Looked like a nice bowl... Went to Target to pick one up.. CLOSEOUT ITEM!! $4.18 ! Get 'em while you can.

Tried it. It's a heavy stoneware bowl that really holds the heat. Thanks for the tip!:biggrin:

fatt_tony said:

Get your own back on the cat! I use a stainless steel small cat food bowl which fits nicely in a cappucino cup making a scuttle. Or did, until I knocked the cup off and broke it. The steel bowl's fine though but you have to put up with the moggy giving you those looks...

Gareth

galopede said:
Get your own back on the cat! I use a stainless steel small cat food bowl which fits nicely in a cappucino cup making a scuttle. Or did, until I knocked the cup off and broke it. The steel bowl's fine though but you have to put up with the moggy giving you those looks...

Gareth

Hmmm... I wonder if those long hairs.. You know, the ones around kittys neck, could be used to make a brush.. Admittedly cats don't take to water too well.. But maybe worth a try.. :001_tt2:

fatt_tony said:

I went with a stainless steel camping bowl for just that reason. The bottom is a little flatter than I'd like, but I know that I'd break anythging ceramic.

I'm also considering looking for a cheap enamelware cereal or mixing bowl - they come in lots of colours and can be floated in the sink for a scuttle effect.

Inspired by the thread, I went to Target yesterday and got three lathering bowls. A rice bowl as above, but in a turquoise green, a small chocolate colored bowll, and a blue. I'll try them all this week. Target is a great source of lathering bowls. :001_smile I may have mentioned this, but I tried their heavy ceramic cereal bowl: great bowl, except that it was white, which made it hard to see the lather. So now I stick with non-white bowls.

Top Bottom