What's new

Shaving Mug feedback?

Hey all! Hope you are doing great. I received a shaving mug (Geo F Trumper) as a gift a while back. Would you gents mind sharing your experience with them? I find soap goes all over the place when using the puck on top of it!!

Cheers

There we go :D

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-06-05 144018.png
    Annotation 2020-06-05 144018.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 13
I like it, congrats! It’s a good throwback look which I like. I’ve never used one. It’s on my list to try sometime. My daily shave I load from the puck then go straight to my face.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Soak your brush in the bottom. Lather on top. What’s not to like?

I may be making this up (or I might have actually read it here somewhere, I can’t remember) but supposedly you can fill the bottom with HOT water and it will give you a warm lather. IDK how that works though. I have a similar one but never used it.

So far I've found that the hot water poured at the bottom doesnt retain temperature for long. I'll continue to give it a shot but I'm preferring straight from the bowl so far! Would be great to hear more experiences about them though!

Cheers fellas

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Hmmm, seems I was just making that up then. Don’t believe everything you read online! But I’m not making up that I own a similar one, with matching brush.

4D123D44-0338-4922-B37A-0325E8F7B1E7.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've got one of those fox brushes. I never there was a ‘hunt’ scuttle to go with it! Thanks for posting the set.
I think there was a soap dish too. But I broke it. If it wasn’t a soap dish it was something else. I recall a 3 piece set and I dropped whatever the 3rd piece was

It's my understanding those old-fashioned scuttles are for loading the brush only, not building a lather in the top

I have one like it and use it often. Many if these have a rather small bowl and regular size pucks do not fit all the way in i.e. not flush with the bottom. I often use 2 inch diameter sample pucks that can be purchased from Mama Bear’s. There is also a vendor on ebay under “men’s moisturizing glycerine shave soap” aka “Love My Skin” that sells this size as well, and are much less expensive. $2.50 for a 1.5 oz. puck plus $2.50 shipping. No extra shipping for multi puck orders. Really good soap if you like glycerine soap. When I use a croap, I simply press some in the bowl. You could also grate a larger puck into the bowl and press it in. Back in the day, before hot running water, these were designed to be filled with hot water from the stove. The brush would be soaked in the bottom and loaded on top for face lathering, with repeated dipping of brush as you lathered. The holes on top were for draining so the puck would last longer.

Top Bottom