What's new

Shaving Journals

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I got an idea today but would like some input from the board before I do anything as I think there might be a benefit for the community. I, like many, had a shaving journal when I was learning to shave with a straight razor. Most of my shaves while learning (well, I'm still learning) are in that journal until I reach my first BBS. I read it again, more than a year later and guess what? It happened that way? I don't remember... Yep, I had issues and many many members really helped. I drop an update here an there in it, it's a good memory for me. I know that some members start a journal and they keep writing in it, which is good. Some also read older journals if they find it before they start and it hopefully helps them.

The idea is to create a page in Wiki that would list the links to those journals. I can copy the link in the General Shaving sticky for references. I think it would be good for new starters to read someone else journal and create their own. I don't think, unfortunately, that a lot of DE/SE users keep one... I'm would split the page by DE/SE/Straight Razors...

Thoughts?

it's a great idea... i think my DE notes dropped off after the 6th shave or so...

I was wondering when i would stop my straight journal, maybe at 100 or so... but i think as i progress I now treat it maybe more like my own SOTD more so... as I get new stuff with some attached comments...

I think it sounds like a good idea if only because some of the older journals, which are also packed with useful information, disappear so far out of sight that a newcomer might not find them.

I think it's a great idea. True the experienced shavers will not likely read them but new guys getting into shaving can see progress transpire. Plus some of them are pretty fun to read when OP's were struggling and you can see the cheering from the other guys.

A great way for first timers to learn.

I agree that it would be useful. I've found the currently available journals informative and entertaining.

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Gents! Any others?

I think it's a great idea. True the experienced shavers will not likely read them but new guys getting into shaving can see progress transpire. Plus some of them are pretty fun to read when OP's were struggling and you can see the cheering from the other guys.

A great way for first timers to learn.

OK - I will retract my 'Meh'. It's just that - for me - I just never found them that useful or particularly interesting, even when I was starting out (and I'm still learning...). I can see where they might be a help to some folks. To be honest, some of them just look like a compendium of minutiae. Not trying to pick on anybody, but that's just how some of these entries strike me. :whistling:.........:a49:

Luc

Staff member
OK - I will retract my 'Meh'. It's just that - for me - I just never found them that useful or particularly interesting, even when I was starting out (and I'm still learning...). I can see where they might be a help to some folks. To be honest, some of them just look like a compendium of minutiae. Not trying to pick on anybody, but that's just how some of these entries strike me. :whistling:.........:a49:

That's all right, it could be a meh. In your case you don't see it the same way and it's all right! :thumbup1:

I kinda agree with your assessment of a journal since i thought that was exactly the point. Kind of like a reality show or EDTV.

I don't know what's gonna be useful to me to write down so it might change depending on what i a thinking about that week. And some extra for perhaps personal trend analysis because again it might provide some insight into why cade sucks for me.

+1 on creating a wiki or thread which points to all the shaving journals. I think it is a great idea if someone has the time and energy to keep it organized.

That said, I somewhat agree with the OP that often times these journals are some of the least interesting threads to read. But my interest largely depends on the author, the feedback comments, and my mood. And most importantly how much time I have. If my time is squeezed, I tend to skip/scan these threads more so than other threads. (which ironically may not be as interesting). All said, I do think these threads have value and a place here. Especially to new straight razor shavers, who can see how other individuals progressed over time.

Top Bottom