What's new

Shaving Items From California Ghost Town

Just got back from a vacation and stopped by Bodie, California. A gold rush boom/bust ghost town that was abandoned about 1942 but existed from about 1859. The town has a fascinating history you might want to check out. I saw these items and immediately thought "the forum members would love this!" No idea what year these are from but if I had to guess it would be 1942.
IMG_2588.jpg
IMG_2591.jpg

The razors in the first picture look to be "Old type" razors. By 1942, many people probably had "NEW" razors, Techs, or even one of those "Twist To Open" types. The "Old type" was an outdated commodity after thinner, disposable blades were being sold, rather than vintage, retro, or collectable as they are now.

Compare that situation to lots of folks getting rid of vinyl LPs when compact discs took over, because CDs were "better". Vinyl LPs are back in style now; why would anyone ever have given away their LPs? So too, perhaps, old razors were just something no longer worth worrying about.

Of course, they could also just be props placed in the buildings to help add interest for tourists....:001_smile

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Just got back from a vacation and stopped by Bodie, California. A gold rush boom/bust ghost town that was abandoned about 1942 but existed from about 1859. The town has a fascinating history you might want to check out. I saw these items and immediately thought "the forum members would love this!" No idea what year these are from but if I had to guess it would be 1942.
View attachment 1007685 View attachment 1007686
Looks like my bathroom.

The razors in the first picture look to be "Old type" razors. By 1942, many people probably had "NEW" razors, Techs, or even one of those "Twist To Open" types. The "Old type" was an outdated commodity after thinner, disposable blades were being sold, rather than vintage, retro, or collectable as they are now.

Compare that situation to lots of folks getting rid of vinyl LPs when compact discs took over, because CDs were "better". Vinyl LPs are back in style now; why would anyone ever have given away their LPs? So too, perhaps, old razors were just something no longer worth worrying about.

Of course, they could also just be props placed in the buildings to help add interest for tourists....:001_smile

+1! Good explanation!! Newer must be better! :a13:

Top Bottom