What's new

Shaving is...

I thought it would be fun to post random musings about what shaving is to me/you/us. Philosophy, I suppose, but whatever works. I have been inspired by the numerous comments to the effect that shaving is meditative, and have begun to settle into that myself (even though I'm still a complete newbie).

I don't know if such a thread can support itself, but I thought this one worth repeating:

Shaving is like yoga for the face.

Since I've started wetshaving, I'm much more aware of the eccentricities of the shape of my face. I'm also more aware of when I am tensing my jaw and cheeks (which is where I've been holding my stress for a while). I think I've been grinding my teeth in my sleep less as well.

I had a similar epiphany when I started doing yoga years back (and stopped mostly). :smile: It helped me to be more aware of things like tensing my shoulders and sitting with poor posture.

Me before: "Man, I forgot to shave again!"

Me now: "I can't wait to shave, this is going to be so good."

Nice. :smile:

Shaving is NOT for the impatient...

Rush it, and you might get cut. You also have to wait a whole day to give it another go...

I work alot (10-14 hrs a day 7 days a week) and both my jobs are very stessful so my morning shave is my "me time". I take my time relax and think of nothing but the shave (fear of blood loss keep my mind free of distractions lol).

matthew

If I can crib from myself:

Shaving has moved from a routine at best, a chore more often, to a wonderful ritual from which I emerge feeling truly pampered. I now look forward to shaving each day, and that feeling more than repays the little bit of equipment required.

In fact, I have discovered that the focused attention and meditative mindset of shaving with a safety razor can produce a zen experience in the morning shave.

Most of us live hurried lives, multitasking and rushing. What the morning shave with a safety razor offers is a small oasis of unhurried calm and single-minded attention to remind you of what it feels like to take your time and not be doing one thing while thinking of something else. That reminder is useful, otherwise one can completely forget that state of mind and how to achieve it.

And it even seems possible that this shaving ritual can increase your self-esteem, if modern psychology is to be believed.

Your blog is something that inspired me on this front. :smile: Thanks for all the info, tips and inspiration.

proxy.php

I just wanted you guys to know that i am shaving as we speak. I have my laptop in the bathroom checking the forum out while shaving. Does that make me odd or does it ring any kind of bell?

Yea the doorbell is ringing, lemme see who it is. Oh it was my shrink.

Shaving is...no longer a quick, painful part of the day using the cheapest tools I can find. Shaving is now a great part of my day. Hot face cloth or shower, sound of lather being made in a cup, and the feel of a brush, a great DE razor, and a nice AS balm. I agree, Matthew..."me time."

IshavedMyFaceOff said:
I just wanted you guys to know that i am shaving as we speak. I have my laptop in the bathroom checking the forum out while shaving. Does that make me odd or does it ring any kind of bell?

Yea the doorbell is ringing, lemme see who it is. Oh it was my shrink.
Don't get lather on the keyboard. Wouldn't want to waste good lather!:001_tt2:

Top Bottom