What's new

Shaving irritation and allergies to ingredients

Some people get irritation from shaving and think it might be the razor (it could be), their technique (it could be), or they are just cursed, somehow. What many don't realize is that shaving soaps and creams have things in them that are known allergens for a lot of people. Linalool is one of these.
It is a fragrance added in small amounts but for those who are sensitive to it, that is enough to cause irritation or burning.

There are other irritants, too. Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is another culprit. Palmitic acid and parfum are also known allergens.

This isn't the first place people want to go when they have irritation and redness. Some might think, 'Not me! I'm not allergic to anything." but nobody is that special. Maybe we need to be more careful about what we put on our faces?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Some people get irritation from shaving and think it might be the razor (it could be), their technique (it could be), or they are just cursed, somehow. What many don't realize is that shaving soaps and creams have things in them that are known allergens for a lot of people. Linalool is one of these.
It is a fragrance added in small amounts but for those who are sensitive to it, that is enough to cause irritation or burning.

There are other irritants, too. Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is another culprit. Palmitic acid and parfum are also known allergens.

This isn't the first place people want to go when they have irritation and redness. Some might think, 'Not me! I'm not allergic to anything." but nobody is that special. Maybe we need to be more careful about what we put on our faces?
I started out choosing light scented soaps and got some great recommendations here on B&B. Unfortunately, because my skin reacts to the ingredients used to produce the scents, even the mild ones, I use almost all unscented soaps now. I can still use two lightly scented soaps I kept around now with only minor irritation, but I still get some reaction even from them.

I discovered after about a year and a half that lanolin irritates my skin a little. I'm sure I didn't notice it early on because my shaving and honing technique wasn't great. It was very noticeable after a couple months of using soaps without it and then coming back, though. Confirmed with a few different samples from different makers. Too bad because it rules out some nice soaps. But now I know.

Thx for the info and citation?
I take it you're a physician?

That was a huge breakthrough to me. I thought I’d never have any reaction to any soap until I realized that Palmolive was the thing causing the irritation. Everything was blamed before the soap, I even trashed a tuck of 5 blades.

What came out of this was that I started paying attention to that exact feeling and now I’ve identified another one (arko) that’s causing the same thing, not as intense, but it’s there.

Live and learn…

I started out choosing light scented soaps and got some great recommendations here on B&B. Unfortunately, because my skin reacts to the ingredients used to produce the scents, even the mild ones, I use almost all unscented soaps now. I can still use two lightly scented soaps I kept around now with only minor irritation, but I still get some reaction even from them.
I’ve always had sensitive skin. It took a couple of years and a few samples to arrive at a soap that worked for me. Another year before realizing my skin required extra nourishing post shave care. A mid week night cream application. My skin care represents a large part of my shave. It was a lengthy learning curve. I now enjoy the healthiest skin and closest shaves of my life. A successful trip.

Just to follow up without opening a new thread.

Another one to the list, cella red.

After Palmolive, I’ve been identifying the same symptoms over and over again.

It’s weird, I remember getting this post shave discomfort and thinking it was just a bad shave, but now somehow it seems to be even more pronounced when it happens. Skin changing as years go by?

Another thing, one day using cella is ok, the problem begins on the third consecutive day. How come not there on the first use?

On the fourth day, just to test it out, I used canned foam and believe it or not, it felt amazing with no hint of reaction. Yes, canned foam! (Noxzema, foamy and barbasol)

Maybe a good rotation is the solution, but even so, it’s not ideal…

For now, Proraso and Razorock are ok, but need further confirmation.
I’ll try figaro tomorrow and Sunday, followed by cella green…

More to come…

Just to follow up without opening a new thread.

Another one to the list, cella red.

After Palmolive, I’ve been identifying the same symptoms over and over again.

It’s weird, I remember getting this post shave discomfort and thinking it was just a bad shave, but now somehow it seems to be even more pronounced when it happens. Skin changing as years go by?

Another thing, one day using cella is ok, the problem begins on the third consecutive day. How come not there on the first use?

On the fourth day, just to test it out, I used canned foam and believe it or not, it felt amazing with no hint of reaction. Yes, canned foam! (Noxzema, foamy and barbasol)

Maybe a good rotation is the solution, but even so, it’s not ideal…

For now, Proraso and Razorock are ok, but need further confirmation.
I’ll try figaro tomorrow and Sunday, followed by cella green…

More to come…
Simple, don't use Cella. It might be the almond oil or any number of things that don't agree with you. Moon makes an amaretto shaving soap if you just have to have that smell, though I've never tried it.

I have had a few soaps irritate my skin. It is often the perfume in them. I quite using them and problem solved. Why not try something relatively mild like La Toja, Vi-John (has lanolin, so if you are a rare person sensitive to it, be warned. Most are not), or Cella Green, or Proraso blue. Some of the artisan soaps have some for sensitive skin, too. Forgive the advice, it's just that I've been through this and thought it was technique years ago. Then, I realized it was the shaving soap (in my case, canned foam).

I would have recommended La Toja Sensitive shaving cream, but Henkels has someone who is brain damaged and they have stopped production.

Simple, don't use Cella. It might be the almond oil or any number of things that don't agree with you. Moon makes an amaretto shaving soap if you just have to have that smell, though I've never tried it.

I have had a few soaps irritate my skin. It is often the perfume in them. I quite using them and problem solved. Why not try something relatively mild like La Toja, Vi-John (has lanolin, so if you are a rare person sensitive to it, be warned. Most are not), or Cella Green, or Proraso blue. Some of the artisan soaps have some for sensitive skin, too. Forgive the advice, it's just that I've been through this and thought it was technique years ago. Then, I realized it was the shaving soap (in my case, canned foam).

I would have recommended La Toja Sensitive shaving cream, but Henkels has someone who is brain damaged and they have stopped production.
I don’t have problems with Proraso yet, and the white is amazing. Never tried la toja.

I’ll have to let those go indeed. Not worth it. As of now, Palmolive, cella and arko (100% sure).

Today I used figaro, no major issues, but the first use is always fine, even for the ones that give a reaction.

Nonetheless, I was left with a slightly and very slightly post shave tingling, which tells me it may go the same way as cella, increasing as days go by… but a test is still required.

For those “tests”, I’ve been using the same setup, no ATG pass, focusing on the mildest shave possible trying to isolate the soap as the only variable.

Figaro again tomorrow, we’ll see…

Thank you for the input!

TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream is like fire when I put it on my face. I love the smell, but I can't use it. Thankfully, I have a number of soaps that I can use.

Sandalwood oils and their synthetic substitutes can definitely cause problems. Back in the day, C&E Nomad soap was like fire on my face. Harris Marlborough (which also contains Sandal and Cedarwood) can give me a tingle too, although it's not intolerable.

I am finding that the older I get, the fussier my skin is. I just bought a kilo of VITOS red, which I have used happily in the past with no serious issues. Not now - first shave with the new block gave me a strong reaction to the Benzaldeyde and left my face red and puffy for several hours. It's the same stuff that is in Cella. I thought that the lower concentration in VITOS was tolerable for my skin but apparently not any longer.

I have never much cared about fragrances in shaving products anyway, but it's getting to the point where it's easier just to rule out anything with a strong fragrance in it.

Sandalwood oils and their synthetic substitutes can definitely cause problems. Back in the day, C&E Nomad soap was like fire on my face. Harris Marlborough (which also contains Sandal and Cedarwood) can give me a tingle too, although it's not intolerable.

I am finding that the older I get, the fussier my skin is. I just bought a kilo of VITOS red, which I have used happily in the past with no serious issues. Not now - first shave with the new block gave me a strong reaction to the Benzaldeyde and left my face red and puffy for several hours. It's the same stuff that is in Cella. I thought that the lower concentration in VITOS was tolerable for my skin but apparently not any longer.

I have never much cared about fragrances in shaving products anyway, but it's getting to the point where it's easier just to rule out anything with a strong fragrance in it.
I used Vito’s red exclusive for a year. Did not like or care for the scent. Loading off the brick into a smaller container, I would leave it uncovered until the scent disappeared. Vito’s an excellent performer.

Second day with Figaro. I was expecting post shave reaction but I was surprised I had none. No tingling or redness.

I don't know if Figaro uses the same fragrance substance as cella, but I'll continue with Figaro for a few days to see if anything happens, it's still early to tell.

Another thing, both Figaro and cella are opened for over 24h to see if it changes anything.

When I was young (45 years ago) I'd get little red dots that looked quite like little mosquito bites on my chest from regular grocery store bath soap. Luckily they would fade fast. No idea the brands. One Dr told me it was probably from the orris root they put in it. I've been using fragrance free or hypoallergenic soap ever since and have been red bump free. Somehow that went away and we've been using use White Rain bars now with no problems. It's a little strong on the perfume for me but Puppy Love Lips likes it.

I think I got some olfactory overload from some Florida Water I bought. I thought it was fading fast so sprayed some on my pillow (don't do this) because I read some people like to do that with Duru. Duru is lemon AS/cologne/hand sanitizer from India. So now I'm burned out on scents, even my beloved Clubman, which I thought would never happen lol.

Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde is a known skin irritant and can cause allergic dermatitis. It is so bad that it was banned in the USA. However, shaving soaps and creams, like Palmolive, made in other parts of the world sometimes still have it.

Ariana & Evans Kaizen after shave lotion: I get a burning feeling shortly after putting it on. At first it is even soothing, but after 30-60 seconds the burn kicks in. It is bearable, but I don't use it for this reason. Interestingly, I tried putting it on without shaving, no burn. But it isn't the alcohol like other AS splashes, alcohol stings for 5 seconds then it is gone. This does not sting, it burns.

Sandalwood soap: I might get a very minor tingling feeling when applying it for the 2nd or 3rd pass, I suppose the skin is irritated just a little bit by shaving, enough to notice the tingling.

Ariana & Evans Kaizen after shave lotion: I get a burning feeling shortly after putting it on. At first it is even soothing, but after 30-60 seconds the burn kicks in. It is bearable, but I don't use it for this reason. Interestingly, I tried putting it on without shaving, no burn. But it isn't the alcohol like other AS splashes, alcohol stings for 5 seconds then it is gone. This does not sting, it burns.

Sandalwood soap: I might get a very minor tingling feeling when applying it for the 2nd or 3rd pass, I suppose the skin is irritated just a little bit by shaving, enough to notice the tingling.
Some sandalwoods bother many people. TOBS sets my face on fire. However, Proraso red is okay, but it only has a light scent.

Top Bottom