What's new

Shaving in the Summertime

Snakebite is nice. Krampert's Frostbite is really nice, too.

If you have a stainless steel razor, try putting it in the fridge or freezer before shaving, too. (But be careful to only do a cold water rinse...I'm no metallurgist, but I shouldn't think that hot water on really cold metal would be wise.) The cold razor is a nice bonus.

Except for the one week this month, we don't really have blazing-hot summer weather in SoCal until August-September. So I'm usually pulling heavier soaps out while "May Grey" and "June Gloom" go on.

August, September and October is when I'll start pulling out the lighter-scented creams. I typically don't have a lot of menthol products, but I'll definitely switch to cooler shaving water and perhaps cooling AS. If it's hot out I also add in moisturizing aftershaves or some Buddha Butter (well after AS application) because if it's really hot here, it's eyeball-drying as well.

Menthol-y goodness. I've tried Palmoliive Menthol, Ingram, Gillette, Arko, Derby, QCS Vostok, and QCS Iced Key Lime. Vostok is the coldest (by far), Iced Key Lime, Palmolive, Ingram, Gillette, Derby, Arko.

Next I want to try the Snot (Yeti Snot) and also Godrej Menthol Mist.

Otherwise I have two tubes of Palmolive Menthol ready to take on the Summer.

Aftershave question for the Chosen... Is it sacrilegious to mentholate the Veg? I splashed some on today to celebrate a particularly amazing shave and missed the menthol kick from the Fine products I have been gravitating towards lately. Can I get a special dispensation from the high priestess?

Aftershave question for the Chosen... Is it sacrilegious to mentholate the Veg? I splashed some on today to celebrate a particularly amazing shave and missed the menthol kick from the Fine products I have been gravitating towards lately. Can I get a special dispensation from the high priestess?

I do the same when I wear The VEG in the summer. Don't worry, you can't hurt The VEG you just make it stronger :lol:

for that fresh, clean summer afternoon shave, (AKA saturdays when i don't work)
i prefer a nice citrus or mentholated, or both, cream. such as GFT limes or maybe a little green proraso.
sometimes i might splash on a little castle forbes pre-shave, but this is only at my discretion.
i take my time with the shave, and then i will follow this up with some good ol' clubman pinaud aftershave.
maybe its those saturday mornings when i would go with my grandpaw and dad to the barber shop, usually in the summer months when i wasn't in school. maybe thats why the scent of clubman seems to link with bright, sunny days to me.
or maybe its just because the stuff is so freakin' nice smelling.

I don't change much of anything really - and I still use my scuttle filled with piping hot water. I *might* use Bay Rum instead of some other splashes/AS.

This is my second summer wet shaving. I'm sticking with my Stirling Menthol pre shave oil, and some more floral scents like Stirling Neroli, Rose, Barrister and Mann Ferox and Solstice, and just got some Dr. Harris Arlington soap.

I live in a house that is climate controlled so the winters and summers inside this place are about the same. Sorry...couldn't resist :tongue_sm I do chance fragrances seasonally but that's because the stay on the skin and temp outside has an effect on them. As far as shaving cream/soap and after shaves go...they dissipate too quickly and I don't rely on them for my scent, so my choice is just based on if I want a nice cool shave or a nice warm shave be it winter or summer.

I love menthol...Joris Osage Rub sometimes makes my eyes close. Frostbite is great. My new love is Floris Mentolado Vigoroso. I travel a lot. Floid did me right in 100f Las Vegas weather last week.

Top Bottom