What's new

Shaving in movies

I was watching "The Natural" last night and noticed for the first time the classic wet shaving in it. Probably would not have thought twice about it before wet shaving, but now I do.
Near the end, Pops and Red are shaving before the big game. Pops is shaving with a straight and Red is shaving with some kind of DE. Not sure what kind, as I am not a classic DE officianado. It had a silver head and a black handle. And sitting on the shelf in front of them was a mug with the handle of a brush sticking out. Do you think they had a silvertip, or do you think they just used a boar?

Just saw "The Dajeerling Limited". Shaving with a DE in it but never saw the brush work.

Crocodile Dundee - Good old Mick dry shaving with a DE before switching to that great big knife to try to impress the shelia.

I watched Soylent Green last night and the lead (played by Charleston Heston) shaved with what looked like a black handled (not tipped) SuperSpeed. We don't get to see him lather up, so no idea on what they used for that. But, it was nice to see that SuperSpeeds are still getting used in 2022.

Took my daughters to Hannah Montana :blushing: today and in the previews there is a Speed Racer movie on the way with a straight razor shave scene.

Its not a DE but when you say movie + shaving I think of The Color Purple. Beating on your wife then having her give you a shave w/a straight makes for a brave n stupid man.

I was watching "The Natural" last night and noticed for the first time the classic wet shaving in it. Probably would not have thought twice about it before wet shaving, but now I do.
Near the end, Pops and Red are shaving before the big game. Pops is shaving with a straight and Red is shaving with some kind of DE. Not sure what kind, as I am not a classic DE officianado. It had a silver head and a black handle. And sitting on the shelf in front of them was a mug with the handle of a brush sticking out. Do you think they had a silvertip, or do you think they just used a boar?

Could be a '60s SS...I have one with a silver head and tip with a black handle.

Its not a DE but when you say movie + shaving I think of The Color Purple. Beating on your wife then having her give you a shave w/a straight makes for a brave n stupid man.

Same with the movie Summersby. Jodie Foster plays the wife who shaves her husband with a straight blade. The husband played by Richard Gere. At one point, when she was shaving his neck, his hands cruise up to her butt as he tries to be affectionate. As a warning, she lets him feel the blade on his neck (she thinks he's still gonna be the abusive husband he was before he left for war). Pretty good movie and shave scene.

Help me out Trekkies, I seem to remember Troi shaving Riker with a straight in the movie Insurrection.

And how can we forget one of the many fight scenes in The Bourne Ultimatum which involves a straight razor as a weapon.

There's also a series of short movies on youtube involving DE razors by some guy named Mantic. You guys ever seen those?

Anthony Hopkins uses a DE in The World's Fastest Indian. He has his brush, bowl, and mirror on the hood of his car on the Bonneville Salt Flats. He uses water from his canteen. Now that's how a real man shaves...in the middle of a desert!

I just saw Brokeback Mountain the other day, I'm pretty sure Jake Gyllenhaal was using a slim, pretty cool!

In Blazing Saddles, there's at least 1 scene where Gene Wilder's shaving w/a straight while he talks to Cleavon Little.

...he's smoking a joint, too, but I digress.:biggrin:

Evan

In a Heroes episode,Sylar uses a straight. I've never tried one,, but i'm pretty shure that it was the wrong way to do it.

Mississippi Burning

Gene Hackman takes over from the barber who is shaving the corrupt deputy.
He gives that weird little Gene Hackman smile, gestures to the barber with his eyes and says "They make it look so easy." just as he puts the blade against the guy's face. Chilling!

Best Regards

Graham

Top Bottom