What's new

Shaving in difficult directions

I've looked at earlier threads, but is there a good way of shaving those areas that follow where a Fu Manchu would droop, around the sides of your mouth?

(Everywhere except that is either sorted out, or, with an SAS on the neck, not worth bothering about.)

These areas seem to be very resistant to a DFS. WTG and XTG don't cut it (literally), however many passes.

Maybe I've answered my own question but how can you shave ATG there? It seemed like a contortion to me.

Is that what you have to do?

Maybe there's going to be a use for that Rockwell R1-plate, after all.

I have to concentrate when I shave this area, especially in the corners of my mouth or I’ll miss it. I just push my tongue on the inside of the corner and go XTG and ATG and I’ve got it covered.
However when my BBS wears off and stubble starts to come through, it’s always here first.

I sometimes fill my cheeks with air to shave tougher spots. It removes troublesome contours.

I use my tongue and air in my cheeks to help out too. It really makes a difference.

Unfortunately, my neck is the most troublesome part, and the trick doesn’t work there. If only I was a frog.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I use my tongue and air in my cheeks to help out too. It really makes a difference.

Unfortunately, my neck is the most troublesome part, and the trick doesn’t work there. If only I was a frog.
upload_2019-2-24_19-49-47.gif

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, everyone.

I just tried them out, and got a significantly better shave. I concentrated on several XTG passes and getting the skin to bulge out. (ATG still seems like a contortion so far, even with my favoured Merkur.) The right side is almost perfect; the left a bit worse, probably because I'm right-handed. Had slight burn afterwards, which isn't surprising, as those areas have never been so closely shaved.

It certainly exceeded going-to-work standards, so I'd call it a DFS.

Skin stretching my friend. If you're relatively young, you may be able to make the skin taught just by tilting your head back and from side to side. Otherwise, use the free hand to stretch the skin.

Also make sure you're using a sharp enough blade and an aggressive enough razor. I find it much harder to get a good shave with a mild razor. Because, like you, I have tough whiskers and tough spots, I like very aggressive razors.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, everyone.

I just tried them out, and got a significantly better shave. I concentrated on several XTG passes and getting the skin to bulge out. (ATG still seems like a contortion so far, even with my favoured Merkur.) The right side is almost perfect; the left a bit worse, probably because I'm right-handed. Had slight burn afterwards, which isn't surprising, as those areas have never been so closely shaved.

It certainly exceeded going-to-work standards, so I'd call it a DFS.
As a few others have mentioned, skin stretching is very significant especially in those areas that seem to be problem or troubled areas. I'd also recommend using your left hand shaving more often as its just as important to be able to use it as your right and it can become very rewarding too...

As a few others have mentioned, skin stretching is very significant especially in those areas that seem to be problem or troubled areas.

Certain razors require more stretching than others as well. Blade gap seems to be a factor in this.

Some of my razors (e.g. the Progress) require barely any stretching at all. Others (e.g. the Fatip Gentile) require perfectly taut skin.

Top Bottom