What's new

shaving head with safety razor

There is a safety razor without a guard for that. Safety might be misleading in this

Attachments

• F095E5AC-632F-462A-8D4E-CF897A199A0B.png
    F095E5AC-632F-462A-8D4E-CF897A199A0B.png
    532.6 KB · Views: 26
Many do. There are a couple of threads here on head shaving.
I use a Razorock Eco Hawk SE that uses half DE or saloon blades.
This razor has a hoe type geometry therefore you ride the cap and this works well for me on my head. I wouldn’t like to use it on my face as my preference there is steep angle/riding the guard.

Used cartridges for many years to shave the head. Once I felt comfortable after switching to DE safety razors last November, I began using them on the dome. Same techniques apply as face shaving: Go slow, light touch. The skin is thinner on top, so it is easier to nick. I have found that the Henson razor is awesome on the head.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I shave my head every MWF. I've used DEs, slants, SEs (Gem and AC), lather catchers and barber straights. The absolute best shaves for me are with either a good slant (ATT S2, RR Wunderbar, RR Stealth) or a barber straight (AC or 1/2 DE).

Spend a little time with it. It works.

O.H.

Do it all the time. Just go slow ZERO pressure; it gets better with practice. I go from top to down, then from front to back, finally may need a pick up here or there. Use both hands. Just make sure you don't have irregularities, some people have growths on the scalp with is a contradiction...you will cut it every time (in this case use an electric).

Using a cart is quicker vs DE. Use a slick runny lather, use a sharp blade and a medium aggression DE razor.

If you want to practice before, use a 2 blade cart to get the hand dexterity then move to DE.

Good luck with it.

I shave my noggin 6 days a week with whatever razor I'm using on my face. Today it was the Rockwell Model T on 2. It has a lot of blade so I have to be careful, particularly in the back of my head, but today was so smooth. If you're just starting, I'd suggest a mild razor like a Gillette Tech, or the Merkur 34c. That said, after reading many of the shaving threads on this forum, I'm convinced I'm very thick skinned. I rarely have any issues with sensitivity or irritation.

I shave my head with all my razors, but I have had a few days where I took a little patch of skin off since I made a mistake (I. E. Too much pressure, bad angle, or wrong blade for the razor). It just takes time to learn the angles of your noggin with using zero pressure

I shave the dome twice a week, using a Viking Blade Emperor on setting 4 and switch to 2 to finish. Last Sunday I got myself behind the ear. First cut since I started at Christmas. Just take your time and you'll be good!

If you want to practice before, use a 2 blade cart to get the hand dexterity then move to DE.

Good luck with it.

This is good advice. In fact, I started with a Headblade Sport, that gives you a sense of the angles that work. That is the absolutely easiest way to get started. $12.00 from headblade.com. And just to be safe, order the HB2/HB3 Adaptor 3-Packat the same time, just in case you drop it and break your adapter. They also used to be available at Walgreen's, don't know if they still are.

Avoid the Headblade cartridges. I like it with Sensor carts or Dorco or Personna Trac II cartridges. Then moved on to DE, but a Sensor or Gillette Mach3 is a middle ground, and of course what you need for carry-ons on aircraft, very easy shaving, not quite as close as DE, but very, very good.

Lots of choices.

Last edited:
Get a Merkur open-comb (all models use the same head design). Very mild and easy to use (negative blade exposure). The open comb won't clog up with longer hair. The perfect head-shaver.

I have been a head shaver for years, and with a DE razor for about 4 years. You will get the technique down, just be patient. I own a lot of great razors, but my favorite by far now is my Razorock Lupo SS .95, such a great shave every single time with a Gillette Silver Blue blade.

Top Bottom