What's new

Shaving head (Oster Classic 76, Wahl Balding) question

I've seen many Oster classic 76 on Amazon and they have different casing, some are renewed (probably refurbished), does it matter which model you get w/ casing ? I was looking at the cheapest models...

Also should I get the Andis 1/150" blade only as extra or do I need the Oster #00000 1/125" as well ?
The 1/150 trimmer blade is enough, with the purchase of the clipper you get 1 or 2 blades included....The Classic 76 : Oster Classic 76 Clipper - Williamsport Bowman Barber Supply - https://www.wbbarber.com/catalog/oster-classic-76-clipper/ ....loads of good info here and the prices are very fair. Bear in mind, the OSTER Classic 76 never gets thrown out...you replace the toggle, cord, brushes, whatever wears out is easily replaced. Mine is at least 35 years old and I've replaced the brushes 3 time, cord twice, toggle once......You can get your blades sharpened online cheap, but use a service that uses a " LAPPING DISC " .....

Between the Oster and the Wahl, I'm more satisfied with the Wahl. I'm not a barber, my equipment only gets used on me, and I follow simple maintenance.

It doesn't take long at all to get the hair knocked down to a 1-day growth. You can actually feel a little aftershave burn after using the Balding clippers.

If you're using the Balding clippers a few times a week, a haircut is as easy as running the clippers in the dry shower and then letting the hair go down the drain. They're so tiny that they won't clog anything.

Every 1-2 days, it struggles with even 24 hour growth on the back of my head.

I just realized today I has been shaving with the One Blade on that yellow casing and once I removed it I got the closest shave possible, not BBS but pretty darn close. The docs talks about the green bar when the blade is worn out, you said that's not a good indication of the wear level ?

The 1/150 trimmer blade is enough, with the purchase of the clipper you get 1 or 2 blades included....The Classic 76 : Oster Classic 76 Clipper - Williamsport Bowman Barber Supply - https://www.wbbarber.com/catalog/oster-classic-76-clipper/ ....loads of good info here and the prices are very fair. Bear in mind, the OSTER Classic 76 never gets thrown out...you replace the toggle, cord, brushes, whatever wears out is easily replaced. Mine is at least 35 years old and I've replaced the brushes 3 time, cord twice, toggle once......You can get your blades sharpened online cheap, but use a service that uses a " LAPPING DISC " .....

Very informative, thank you. What do you think of Oster Model 10 or Octane in comparison ?

I saw Octane is the only one you can get directly from Amazon, but that's like 2x of the price for being cordless.

Between the Oster and the Wahl, I'm more satisfied with the Wahl. I'm not a barber, my equipment only gets used on me, and I follow simple maintenance.

It doesn't take long at all to get the hair knocked down to a 1-day growth. You can actually feel a little aftershave burn after using the Balding clippers.

If you're using the Balding clippers a few times a week, a haircut is as easy as running the clippers in the dry shower and then letting the hair go down the drain. They're so tiny that they won't clog anything.

Yeah I do own a few Wahl clippers (one corded and one smaller that is an all-in-one package that is cordless with tons of attachments) and I have been fairly happy with both but neither can cut that short. Wahl customer service has been very helpful in the past replacing broken attachments for me free of charge.

The Pro for the Balding Clippers is that it costs half of the Oster 76, but the drawback is that it's just a Balding Clipper so you can't really use it for anything else like regular haircut as I understand. But it's definitely on my list...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I had one cordless clipper that I used professionally, but it was YEARS ago, like 35+. It of course did not have a lithium ion battery, hence it was useless in a relatively short period of time.

Buy corded, it doesn't get in anybody's way except the barber. Nothing worse than the battery dying in the middle of your haircut.

Unless it's your barber dying in the middle of cutting your hair!

I had one cordless clipper that I used professionally, but it was YEARS ago, like 35+. It of course did not have a lithium ion battery, hence it was useless in a relatively short period of time.

Buy corded, it doesn't get in anybody's way except the barber. Nothing worse than the battery dying in the middle of your haircut.

Unless it's your barber dying in the middle of cutting your hair!
Agree, stay away from cordless. Don’t have near the power and the batteries get worse and worse over time.

I just realized today I has been shaving with the One Blade on that yellow casing and once I removed it I got the closest shave possible, not BBS but pretty darn close. The docs talks about the green bar when the blade is worn out, you said that's not a good indication of the wear level ?

Very informative, thank you. What do you think of Oster Model 10 or Octane in comparison ?

I saw Octane is the only one you can get directly from Amazon, but that's like 2x of the price for being cordless.

Yeah I do own a few Wahl clippers (one corded and one smaller that is an all-in-one package that is cordless with tons of attachments) and I have been fairly happy with both but neither can cut that short. Wahl customer service has been very helpful in the past replacing broken attachments for me free of charge.

The Pro for the Balding Clippers is that it costs half of the Oster 76, but the drawback is that it's just a Balding Clipper so you can't really use it for anything else like regular haircut as I understand. But it's definitely on my list...

The green indicator strip works fine for me on my face, I usually can push it up to an extra week of daily face shaves. However.. that thing just does not want to cut my hair. I can get tops 10 somewhat acceptable head shaves before it tugs so hard that it will just stop running in my hair (not the battery, this happens even when full). It's great on my face though, I alternate between that and my Braun foil shaver for my face. The Philips oneblade gives me a closer shave with less irritation potential on my neck but the Braun foil shaver gives a closer shave on my cheeks and chin. I hate using two tools for the same job so I just grab either.

The green indicator strip works fine for me on my face, I usually can push it up to an extra week of daily face shaves. However.. that thing just does not want to cut my hair. I can get tops 10 somewhat acceptable head shaves before it tugs so hard that it will just stop running in my hair (not the battery, this happens even when full). It's great on my face though, I alternate between that and my Braun foil shaver for my face. The Philips oneblade gives me a closer shave with less irritation potential on my neck but the Braun foil shaver gives a closer shave on my cheeks and chin. I hate using two tools for the same job so I just grab either.

You were right about the Oneblade, the first blade went sort of dull in about a month with every 2-3 days head shaves. I have 3 more blades so they should last me another 3 months, then I can look for something else unless I can find these blades on discounts. I am leaning toward the Oster76 but not 100% about it tbh.

That blade that stopped shaving the head (it was somehow tugging like you said), still works great on my face though.

Use the 00000 blade on the Oster Model 10, then go to the BaByliss cordless foil shaver.

I didn't get any clippers, since my hair is already very short with very short stubble , but got the new Babyliss foil shaver and woah - it's amazing!

BBS head shave.... I can't tell the difference vs using Cartridge/DE razor, it's very smooth.

I'll post a review later, as I use it a bit more as I've only used it twice so far.

Top Bottom