What's new

Shaving grown beard with open comb razor

Don't do it!

So after reading multiple threads and posts about RazoRock SLOC, I bought mine a few weeks ago. One of the benefits I had read about and viewed videos, was the ability to shave a grown beard directly with this razor. Supposedly it would not clog. Well it took me almost a hour to shave a 25 day old beard. With all the grown hairs that we're still left after a long while trying to shave everything off, I cleaned and dried my face and got the electric trimmer, got rid of the long hairs and prepared some more lather and shaved again. The blade was a used (3) Astra Blue.

Comments?

Attachments

• 20191121_092211.jpg
    20191121_092211.jpg
    889 KB · Views: 32
I haven't had more than a three day growth in years, but I'd be very curious to see how my razors would handle it.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Yea...the only razor I'd even consider tackling a full beard with is a SR (I've actually done that with excellent results). DE/SE/Cart=no bueno.

I actually just had an SLOC delivered and am very excited to use it. My impression is that it is not significantly more efficient than its old type cousin, but provides a better glide for the shave based on the top cap design.

I have 1.5 weeks of growth and will likely turn to my RazoRock German Slant for a more efficient shave.

One of the benefits I had read about and viewed videos, was the ability to shave a grown beard directly with this razor. Supposedly it would not clog.
About 1 week for any open comb is acceptable. Any longer and you need to clip down to ~ 6mm.

Well I took a 3" goatee + long stache with the RR Jaws (new edition) Nacet blade (dense coarse not a 7 hairs beard).. NO issues at all...one pass all gone, I did a second just to get ingrown hairs....

All previous shaves in life i used a trimmer first but after seeing so many youtube vids on ppl just going straight to DE or straights I dove right into it.

Next time I will do it again...probably w a Fatip or Muhle R41. I may use a napkin to clean the shaver instead of water since I do not want to clog my sink

The Gillete Guard is better for taking off longer stubble (I've used it for up to a week and a half) but it isn't designed for a full beard. No safety razor is going to be good for that.

I would recommend a beard trimmer/clippers next time.

A DE that has a larger gap or an adjustable can do it also. Seen videos of men shaving off beards with the Rex in seconds for example.

@xiletero that Muhle R41 video is brutal, and the guy says you have to be gentle, ha!

Thanks for all the comments / suggestions guys! Definitely will do it different next time...

Clippers is the way to go.

The SLOC excels as a buffing razor for the mustache and chin area. I use it to clean up after two passes with the German 37. It's a great combination.

The secret of the SLOC is dipping it in water frequently. It retains some of that water in the top slots.

The few times I’ve shaved long hair, I’ve used a Gillette Old type and had no issues plowing right through. Always after a long shower and plenty of extended lathering up.
The only time I tried anything else was the one time I tried a 34 Aristocrat. It started out ok but would jam up quickly. After a couple tries, I switched to a single ring and was done fast.

I have had very good success shaving a week's worth of growth with GEM razors.
Cuts through it like butter. I did this with a Clog-Pruf and a G-Bar several times. I never tried a full beard though. I agree with using a beard trimmer first for that.

R

romsitsa

Hello, open combs are less prone to clog than safety bars. Except the open comb has a small blade gap (for eg. Gillette Old type) and the safety bar has a large gap (for eg. Swing).
The only razor that won’t clog is a straight.

Adam

Top Bottom