What's new

Shaving foam and brush. Impressed.

I just saw this Italian barber using a brush and a shaving foam for a client.

I am really impressed and I will try the next time I shave. Looks like a good mix of techniques.

Ok, Immediately noticed something: that was a TON of product he used. Those proraso foam cans are usually $9-$10 a piece and are about the same volume as a can of barbasol. As someone who frequently uses foam, I would be able to do 2 complete 3 pass shaves with just the amount of foam he used for that first lather.

Now with that said, I have tried to use foam with my brush a few times and found that you do need to use a ton of product and that you can't "build" the lather on your face like you normally would because it just dissipates. If you overload your brush and gently paint it on, it will work and it will help to lift your hair a bit. I get better results with foam by squirting a very small amount on my finger tips and massaging it in really well before then taking another small amount and evening out the "layer" on my face.

Excellent feedback. One bit of information.

The Proraso in Italy is about 4 usd.

Ah yes, totally forgot about that haha. It's funny because I have no problem spending $9-$10 on a tube of their cream but I'm always shocked and turned off by seeing $9 for a can. And no, that's not because of anti-can snobbery but simply because I find barbasol to be a fantastic canned product at less then $2 a can. I had a small travel can of the proraso green foam just to try and I did find it to be slicker and require less product when compared to barbasol but didn't find it better "enough" to necessitate 9 times the price. That was awhile ago and my thoughts on a lot of things have changed so it's worth giving another try.

The barber is short-cutting the lathering process used when employing a real soap/cream.

The foam from a can usually contains things that allow for that. It's chemical vs. labor IMHO with the outcome being similar. If you don't mind the chemicals then have at it.

Chris

Ok, Immediately noticed something: that was a TON of product he used. Those proraso foam cans are usually $9-$10 a piece and are about the same volume as a can of barbasol. As someone who frequently uses foam, I would be able to do 2 complete 3 pass shaves with just the amount of foam he used for that first lather.

Now with that said, I have tried to use foam with my brush a few times and found that you do need to use a ton of product and that you can't "build" the lather on your face like you normally would because it just dissipates. If you overload your brush and gently paint it on, it will work and it will help to lift your hair a bit. I get better results with foam by squirting a very small amount on my finger tips and massaging it in really well before then taking another small amount and evening out the "layer" on my face.
Would you like your barber to get that intimate?

Haha no, not saying it that way (though I've seen many a barber shave video that did include a head and face massage). Just in relation to OP saying they would try this themselves next time they use foam that I've found equal if not better results with fingers vs brush.

But the thing I enjoy most about lathering is making the lather hot using my scuttle. This would be cold lather, so even if it worked, I would not like it.

I too have tried this but as above to no avail. I seem to remember it's because the proraso (or other tined goo) when in the tin has the air introduced into it as it exists the can, so it's ready to use. When you lather from scratch you introduce the air as you swirl the brush about. A little like mixing a cake, it's flat until you start mixing and 'folding' in the air. I use tined goo, tubes of cream and hard soap. For me I get good shaves these days even with store own brand goo.

One thing, that guy, host of the show, sells or advertises that duane shavettes. If anyone is intrested in non-plastic double sided shavettes he can get one for a few dollars/euros more called Universal shavette that I saw in Italy used by barber.
On a note, not the double sided, but takes whole DE

And I can't believe he uses proraso foam, price is the same, around 4$ for can, cream or soap.

Pretty interesting. I see on the first pass the barber is going what would be ATG on my neck (most of it anyway), and using techniques to expose the whiskers to maximize closeness of cut. That would be incredibly relaxing...I would probably struggle to stay awake...

Well, it *is* proraso foam, I'll give it a soft pass. That was a step in my descent into traditional shaving madness, I had a can of the Proraso white foam, and it isnt bad, was FAR better than **** foam I was using before, and then I met my barber who unwittingly pushed me right in

I get better results with foam by squirting a very small amount on my finger tips and massaging it in really well before then taking another small amount and evening out the "layer" on my face.

I like this idea. I use canned foam on occasion when I'm in a hurry, so I'll give this a shot next time. I normally shave in the shower when in a hurry, using foam, so I usually just rub regular amount directly onto a wet face, but I'll try this massage / layer method next.

My foam of choice right now is the Noxzema Aloe and Lanolin which was recommended by someone on this forum, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It has chemicals, but with the added Aloe and Lanolin it leaves a pretty nice post shave feel for canned goo.

I've never actually used Barbasol before, but I do have a can waiting next in line after the Noxzema to try out.

I like this idea. I use canned foam on occasion when I'm in a hurry, so I'll give this a shot next time. I normally shave in the shower when in a hurry, using foam, so I usually just rub regular amount directly onto a wet face, but I'll try this massage / layer method next.

My foam of choice right now is the Noxzema Aloe and Lanolin which was recommended by someone on this forum, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It has chemicals, but with the added Aloe and Lanolin it leaves a pretty nice post shave feel for canned goo.

I've never actually used Barbasol before, but I do have a can waiting next in line after the Noxzema to try out.

This method allows me to work the foam under my hair causing them to stand up a bit first. It's obviously not as much as a brush would do but it's still much quicker on application and clean up.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Ingredients: water, stearic acid, cocos mucifera (coconut) oil, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, glycerin, lactic acid, sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, menthol, camphor, eucalyptol, eucalyptus globulus leaf oil, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, sodium metasilicate, tetrasodium EDTA, hydroxyethylcellulose, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, geraniol, parfum.

Not my cup of tea, but if those ingredients don't bother you then have at it.

Ingredients: water, stearic acid, cocos mucifera (coconut) oil, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, glycerin, lactic acid, sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, menthol, camphor, eucalyptol, eucalyptus globulus leaf oil, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, sodium metasilicate, tetrasodium EDTA, hydroxyethylcellulose, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, geraniol, parfum.

Not my cup of tea, but if those ingredients don't bother you then have at it.

Do you drink soda? Do you breathe when you are in a city or do you hold your breath? Have you looked at the ingredients of your toothpaste, condiments, shampoo, etc? Do you use Tupperware for food storage?

Hopefully all that time spent label reading is enough to keep one a step behind a bus or an asteroid or to be late for a plane that crashes.

Danger is all around us at all times, sometimes we need to just live life.

Top Bottom