What's new

Shaving Factory Shavette: My opinion and looking for an alternative

First of all, I apologise if I posted in the wrong thread.
A shavette is not a Straight Razor per se, but is not a Double Edge safety razor either... is it some sort of Single Edge safety razor? I think I'll leave it as a topic of discussion for the ones who like metaphysics and philosophy.

Two weeks ago I bought at amazon.com the next combo: "100 derby blades + 1 free shavette" it arrived this monday and I tried it that very night and... I liked the shave, I liked the experience. I have mixed feelings about the shavette.

Performace was flawless. Blade was secure in its place and it was easy to clean but...
It's a bit too light and the securing mechanism could be tighter.

As you can see in the picture, the securing mechanism is pretty straight forward:
1. you put your finger in the black button on the left
2. you push to the right and place the blade
3. you pull to the left and listo!

Problem is... the blade holder does not sit as tight as I wish and with a medium tug, the blade holder slides out like 0.5cm.

I want to ask for those few of you who use shavettes: Which shavette do you recommend?
I have narrowed it down 3 products but I'm open to suggestions:
1. Parker shavette
2. Dreadnought shavette
3. Dovo shavette

I am looking for some weight, secure blade holding mechanism and easy blade placement (I've read bad things about the dovo shavettes in this last point) I have 100 blades ready to use and while this shavette does the work, I would like to have a better tool.
I will not buy a straight razor, mainly because is just too expensive and I do not have the means to give it proper maintenance.

Thanx in advance for your help good sirs :D and sorry for the long post (and I even cut some text!)
proxy.php

Last edited:
Of those 3 I've only tried a Parker (SR1) model, but it was very good once I got used to it.
Of course it was a gateway drug to Feathers, KAis, a real Kamisori and a bunch of real straights I can't use!

Had to look for the CJB in google, they do look pretty.
i wouldn't mind to get me one of those... As long as I can use my derby blades :laugh:
all in all, i am hoping i can find a nice quality product that is not too expensive.

Last edited:
Had to look for the CJB in google, they do look pretty.
i wouldn't mind to get me one of those... As long as I can use my derby blades :laugh:
all in all, i am hoping i can find a nice quality product that is not too expensive.

They're designed to be used with Feather/Kai/Dorco/cjb blades (probably others, too), but not DE blades as they're different sizes.

I wouldn't recommend putting a DE blade in a CJB. CJB is made for Artist Club blades, a system made by Feather (Dorco and Kai also makes AC blades, the CJB is made by Dorco as well).

The topic of this thread is disposable blade straight razors. After all, any straight razor is also a single edge razor (but not a single edge safety razor) - they only have one edge, don't they?

I've tried the Sanguine Coolcut, the Dreadnought/Bluebeards Revenge shavette is a rebranded Coolcut. I've also tried the Sanguine X-D20, which I like much better. The scales have a different shape, the X-D20 feels better balanced. The tang ("tail" of the blade) is straightened out on the X-D20, and more curled on the Coolcut. I assumed the curled one would be better because it would keep my little finger in place, but using both I know I was completely wrong. With the curled tang you only have one place to put your finger, with the straightened you can put the finger and its weight wherever you want, which I found is very important. The straight tang is long enough, you won't move your finger off by accident.

I'd recommend the X-D20 to anyone curious about half-DE shavettes, it's affordable and well designed in my opinion. The Dovo is far more expensive, but you can get holders for it to use it with hair shaper blades (green holder) and special Dovo blades (black holder), so it's more flexible. If you are set on using your Derby blades, the X-D20 will do just as well for you.

I have both the Parker, and the Dreadnought. The Parker scales fell apart after about a month. The Dreadnought is bigger and IMHO, better built than the Parker, no problems with it.

Of the ones you've listed, I've only used the Parker SR1 and it's a pretty good shaver; the stainless scales give it some heft as well, pretty close to an actual straight. It holds the blade in pretty tight too and uses half of a DE blade. They're single edge by virtue of having half of a DE blade, but there's no guard or other protection to make them a 'safety' razor. Same with a conventional straight.

If the price/maintenance of a straight is throwing you off, why not check out whippeddog.com? Larry has packages on offer to give you everything you'd need to get started, including a shave ready razor, basic strop and pasted strop to keep you going for a good long time.

Wow, thanx for the help!
thanx for the advise about the CJB and the blades, it is a shame because they look quite nice. Maybe somewhere in the future I'll try a CJB (with the right blades of course hehe :laugh:)
Also, I searched for the X-d20 and the SR1 (i had seen only the parker with plastic scales) and both look nice. The name of the first is more appealing because it reminds me of the d20 dice you use to play dungeons and dragons haha, but i will consider this parker razor.

I will also check the mentioned site. Not sure if I'll be buying another SR but who knows!!! :D

thank you very much for the input!

Damn you all!
Wet shaving was suposed to be cheaper than cartridge haha

Thanx to all the input you provided, I decided to put on hold the purchase of a new shavette and get myself a CJB razor (Feather artist is too expensive). Not right away because I want to practice with the current shavette but yeah... thanx to you and to this thread, once again I'm on the "Must have it!" train :laugh: Seriously, thank you very much for your input and opinions. You will hear from me again since I'll try to write a proper review of the Shaving Factory shavette and also I'll do my best once I buy the CJB (sorry Fountain Pen, you'll have to wait)

Oh, and sorry for the double post :blush:

you could also consider an Weck Sextoblade (also uses different single edge blade like the CJB, Feather) .. but you will have to hunt down some on ebay or something (not new) .. weight and size is almost identical to say 5/8 straight razor
$2013-03-19 21.24.11.jpg

If you're looking for an inexpensive disposable blade straight, IMHO you can't beat the Parker's,any of them. I've used them all and none have let me down. Of course the Feather or the Kai straights are much better, but their cost is about the same as a regular straight. I've never had a problem with any of the Parkers, I have 4 of them, and the shaves are great.

I've had the Parker stainless steel model for around two years now with no issues. Just spent a week on the road with it, and it worked just fine. Helps to have some experience with it before dismissing it from the start. Mastering blade angle and skin tension are key here.

I ave the Parker sr1 stainless which has been faultless and the coolcut 4 on which the washers holding the blade in place just corroded away to nothing after a month! So I rescaled it and replaced them with brass.
the Parker is a good shavette; I've also tried the bluebeards shavette from shaving shack and that's great for the price.
stick a feather DE blade in a Parker and your in for a superb shave!!

Parker SR1 Will be then.... after I get my hands on a CJB :blush:
My major concern with the parker SR1 was that it could get some rust or something, but seeing most of you liked it made me lose my fears n__n

The Weck Sextoblade goes to the wish list :D

No sign of rust on mine; I use a pre shave oil and the blades do get a bit "greasy" to the touch and slightly gummed up but a quick wipe sorts it

Thanx for your input Kirisute!
The SR1 is on my cart at Amazon.com but it will wait a few months since I spent some money buying a CJB and the Feather blades haha.

I want to say Thanx to all the people who posted here n___n your input has provided a lot of insight and made me discover the CJB, Feather Artist and the Sextoblade :D So many items, so few money... I remember a signature from a Wetshaver (can't remember who and from where) that said something like "Wet shaving is supposed to save me money, right?" That made me laugh, I also remember another signature from a great member at DamnFineShave.com that went something like "I wetshave not because it's cheaper but because I like it" :)

Well, nothing else to say except: thank you!

I'll be writing a formal review in a couple of weeks, my beard grows slowly hehe

Top Bottom