What's new

Shaving Everyday

I think @brucered gave some great advice. I usually try to tell newer people something similar if they are getting irritation.

Try changing your goal from daily BBS to getting a smooth, comfortable shave without irritation. All a BBS really gives is a few more hours before getting a shadow. With time and practice, you will find your shaves improving.

If you are used to cartridge razors, you may be applying more pressure or "bearing down" because it kind of works with those razors. With a DE, it's' better to just keep the pressure very low.

My personal routine is usually a daily shave with two passes plus some touch-ups. I think most men who shaved with DEs in older times only went with one or two passes plus some touch-ups. Maybe they would try for a closer shave on special occasions, but not every day.

This morning I switched back to AS-D2 from Fatip Grande Classic. It definitely helps. I also work on my skills. Thanks for your kind reply and the link.
You might also consider trying a different razor. The AS-D2 was my first de razor. I needed to do allot of passes and buffing with this razor. A more efficient razor might give you less irritation.
If you like mild razors the Tatara Masamune is mild but a noticeable step up in efficiency from the Feather.
The Henson +++ is also a autopilot type of razor with even more efficiency.

I have only been DE shaving a few weeks
Started 1 shave a week
Now 2 shaves usually Friday & Sunday
I am off work this week so every 2 days for practice (maybe every day why not!)

Never shaved on a work day in case of a screw up but will start that when i return & shave every 2 days

Last edited:
I generally shave every day. I enjoy it and don't like stubble. I'll go a day or sometimes two without shaving occasionally but that's rare. Since I switched to safety razors, I have less skin irritation shaving every day.

I shave just about every evening after I shower. Night shaver. I usually make 2.5 passes if I shave every day. I have a thick coarse beard with super human growth. I have a goatee and a mustache, here is my normal routine.

XTG and ATG on cheeks.
XTG and ATG Neck, I usually make a 3rd or cleanup pass XTG on my neck.
This gets BBS every time.

Since I started wet DE shaving, my face is in the best shape of my life. I think it is really up to how each individual's face holds up. I don't think its a once shoe fits all.

A painter once told me shaving is very much like painting. How you hold the brush and whether you pivot from palm or elbow makes huge difference. Let me try all your tips and get back to you. Thank you for your kind reply.
I tend to follow the same guidance. Similar to if I were painting or drawing, I try initiate most shave strokes from the shoulder (and the elbow follows). I find this helps combat the tendency to apply too much pressure, when compared to using the smaller movements of the wrist and fingers.

Three pass daily shaves with what some would call aggressive razors. No problems at all and if there are, it’s usually me and not the razor or the blade.

I think the cure for all is ‘no pressure’

Cheers,

Guido

I do a daily four pass shave with a straight razor and get great shaves with lovely smooth skin and zero irritation.
What does some barber ive never met from a different continent know about my face?

Hi fellow shavers, I’m new to this forum and shaving with DE for couple of months.

I am doing a 3 pass (wtg, xtg and atg) shave and shaving everyday.

But when I spoke to a barber yesterday he said 3 passes are too much if I shave everyday, no matter how gentle I am.

Couple of questions:
What’s the shave routine you follow for everyday shave?
Shaving under the jaw is a trouble. I’m never able to get a bb shave, but I always end up with a lot of irritation only at this area. Any advice?
I do best if I shave every 2 or 3 days. My beard doesn't grow very fast, so that works for me. I'm usually 3 passes. Still working on making decent lather.

Hi fellow shavers, I’m new to this forum and shaving with DE for couple of months.

I am doing a 3 pass (wtg, xtg and atg) shave and shaving everyday.

But when I spoke to a barber yesterday he said 3 passes are too much if I shave everyday, no matter how gentle I am.

Couple of questions:
What’s the shave routine you follow for everyday shave?
Shaving under the jaw is a trouble. I’m never able to get a bb shave, but I always end up with a lot of irritation only at this area. Any advice?
Use an adjustable razor, i had the same type of problem behind the jaw and under it near the ear so i bumped my fatboy down a few notches and no more irritation ingrown hairs or razor burn, also skin stretching helps immensely to get BBS(skin stretch onlt a little bit, you done wanna pull the skin so hard that can lead t its own issues but shaving 3 passes daily…. Wow that is toooooo much, i shave 3 passes once every 3 days at 2 days im still very close to bbs at 3 i start to feel very minor stubble, so i run a 2 pass XTG and ATG Then i give myself a break and let it grow for 3-4 days then 3 passes and so on. I suggest tou use a shave oil right before you lather, i love Maggards oil, lime is my number 1 eucalyptus is my number 2 and sweet orange is 3.. just 3 deops into your hand rub your hands together ro spread the oil then rub your face down
Theres sometimes i even rub a couple drops in between passes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    609.6 KB · Views: 2
I shave daily and although for work a one pass shave would do it, I shave daily with two passes for a 1st class irritation free shave.
Lather > 1st pass wtg > and without relathering the 2nd pass atg.
Between the first and second pass I only lightly moisturize my face and use the residual slickness for a dfs to bbs shave.
A top shaving soap / cream provided, for me the Arko, the Saponifcio Varesino, Cella crema da barba and the Speick shaving cream.

Top Bottom