What's new

Shaving Everyday

I'm a daily shaver, every day 2½ passes.
WTG
ATG
Jawline touchup
In time you will be better at it.
For start just do a daily one pass shave
Add gradually

How may passes you do and how often you shave is really dependent on your skin, your beard, your tools, and your needs. Some guys do one pass once a week and some guys do 4 passes every day.

I shave every day, 6am, and I like to be relatively smooth when I get home and kiss my wife at 6pm. So I do 3.5 passes (4 below the jawline). This is with a straight. I doubt I could get away with that with a safety razor, at least not without dialing in blade choices and technique.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hi fellow shavers, I’m new to this forum and shaving with DE for couple of months.

I am doing a 3 pass (wtg, xtg and atg) shave and shaving everyday.

But when I spoke to a barber yesterday he said 3 passes are too much if I shave everyday, no matter how gentle I am.

Couple of questions:
What’s the shave routine you follow for everyday shave?
Shaving under the jaw is a trouble. I’m never able to get a bb shave, but I always end up with a lot of irritation only at this area. Any advice?
I never do more than two passes and never try to get a BBS. Regarding upper jaw line, have you tried stretching your skin to pull it over the jaw line? Works for me.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you have to shave every day because of job requirements or you just like a nice clean face look I would look for a good adjustable razor and stick to 2 passes and a pick up pass or touch ups and know when to stop shaving because you will increase chances to irritate your skin the more passes you use.
My typical shave WTG + ATG + pickups for a close shave every time with not to many issues.
The Pearl Flexi or Yaqi the final count(TFC) adjustable razors are great + affordable.

Last edited:
Enough has been said already, so would just share my experience. I'm a daily shaver and do 3 passes with my Merkur progress. Sometimes, when I add to much pressure I would shave DFS for a few days with 2 passes and touch-ups.
And I don’t need to shave daily. I just like the process

I shave 4 passes every other day - WTG, XTG, ATG (2x). The 2nd ATG probably isn't necessary anywhere except my chin, but I do a full 2nd ATG anyway. Then I touch up the jawline. I have no ongoing irritation or issues.

If I shaved daily, I would likely not do the 2nd ATG or touch-ups.

I shave daily. I do two passes on the face and three on the dome. I've not had any issues, although the head shaving is only in the last 11 years. I don't think I'd venture to do even a 2 pass with a cartridge, but I believe that the cart design is to eliminate multiple passes.

I shave every day. If I go two days I'd have to make a light first pass and do two more. Every day it's always two passes one WTG and the second on alternating days ATG and XTG. Love shaving.

After going back to looking like citizen from bearded homeless type of person.🫠

I shave daily, most days teo passes, some only one.

Being retired, I have no one to say to me your out of dress code, or go home and shave better.

My beard is not hard to Beal with, stiff, or wiry. So I have my shaving foen to simple as possible.

Good prep is crucial. Straight shaves are also much gentler, oddly enough.

You are absolutely right, Shaving everyday might be gentler than having to fight with grown stubble when done right.

Absolutely pre-shave prep is important. I take a warm shower before shave when I wash my face and make sure facial hair ha moist. Then after shower, I apply pre-shave (Antica Barbieria Colla Crema Pre Barba) while I make the lather and wait out couple of minutes.

I am only new to DE so not much to add however, I was a WTG and then ATG daily shaver for 20 years, never heard of XTG or beard mapping. I have now mapped my beard and find that first pass WTG all over and then second pass XTG on my face and cheeks and ATG under jawline and on neck gets me a consistent daily DFS with two passes. I don't chase BBS just enjoy it if it happens.

Also how is your soap and lather? I thought I was good on both, I was wrong on both counts and suspect I still am but my shaves are now at a place I never thought possible.

Just my experience of what works for me so far.
Thanks for the beard mapping tip. I will do this weekend!

About lather, I’m still working on getting the perfect balance. I’m sure it’s not perfect yet. Also I use Antica Barbieria Colla pre shave cream and then use the lather using Truefitt & Hill 1805 Shaving Cream. Also spending time applying facial care after shave.

Thank you for the detailed response.

I've been getting great shaves with one pass. I shave every day & a single pass is time efficient & provides a very enjoyable & acceptable shave.
Thank you for your kind welcome. Letting go the BBS, and skill up for DGS both with preparation and shaving seems the path ahead. I’ll experiment bit from all the kind suggestions.

Shaving everyday, which I invariably do, necessitates applying moisturizer afterwards or else my skin starts to generate excess oil and becomes shiny to offset the skin's natural oil removed by soaps/creams in shaving

For my skin, I found that shaving every day was detrimental...it caused problems. I tend to shave two or three times a week now. But when I shave, my routine is a five-pass routine. WTG, ATG, sideways out to in and two diagonal (opposite of the other). I find that that combination of directions covers all the growth patterns on my face and neck. It's a lot easier for me because I have a mustache/goatee...so I don't have to worry about under the nose and upper lip and chin...those are tough spots to shave. BBS is easy to achieve, but as one poster already stated, BBS only lasts several hours before you're starting to feel the stubble in certain areas again. When you're starting out, I wouldn't recommend chasing a BBS.

If I really wanted to shave every day, I would do a two-pass shave, WTG and ATG...that would be all. Maybe once a week I would do all five passes.
Isn’t goatee genius? Avoiding most of the problematic areas. You are right to listen to your skin and doing the best.

Thanks for kindly responding. I am experimenting and did exactly that this morning.

I do a 3-pass DE shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) with touchup, every other day (48 hours). My shaves are so close, that after 24 hours I have light stubble and it isn't worth another shave, since I'm retired and have no real need to shave again.

My contention is that with every pass - every time the blade touches your skin - you risk more irritation or worse.

If I had to shave every day for work, I would likely drop the ATG and still get a DFS, without risking the irritation from over shaving.

Super sensitive skin
shave every day 3 pass use a mild razor and have been finding my fav blades recently
and soap IMHO makes a huge difference
been DE shaving 3 yrs and 59 yrs old my skin has never been better
I do use Neutrogena Hydro gel as a follow up that I really like

I can say I could not do daily with the Wolfman 1.15 after a week it would be so irritated same as say Rex Ambassador or the Lupo just to much blade exposure
so I do think its also testing and finding that razor that works for you
the one that is working for me is the Timeless Ti .68 SB and not saying that is the razor just saying what I use :)

some soaps irritate my face
Captains Choice cream is my fav then maybe SV soaps and TOBS is up there as my top 3
some AS also irritate me with consistent use so stopped those like Pinaud Clubman sadly :( and a few others and that also helped quite a bit NOT using those and using ones that I know I am good with

when the AS hits the face I am going for no burn cause that is just irritated skin that is reacting and I am reaching this no burn on a daily basis doing 3 passes so could be your razor is not mild enough ? Or technique ? Or soap ? Or blade ? :) hahahaha just have to try various things IMHO

good thread of some here shaving daily

The old YMMV of course but I would say if you want to I do think MOST can do daily 3 pass just might need some time to dial it in

This morning I switched back to AS-D2 from Fatip Grande Classic. It definitely helps. I also work on my skills. Thanks for your kind reply and the link.

@coconut I shave every three days on average and only one pass with touch up is needed.I am Italian with coarse prickly beard and I am often confused as to why others lather and relather multiple times. The only thing I can think of is that their lather is too thick, too dry or whether the person’s skin needs a good exfoliation.

I gave up on a brush and my legacy razors opting for a Henson and Jack Black Beard Lube. Its scary slick and I can see what I am shaving so its allows for one pass.

Top Bottom