What's new

Shaving Epiphany!

Today was the day! Thought I might share it with a sympathetic group.

I started shaving many decades ago with a DE razor, probably Gillette and shaving foam because that is what my father did. Continued until the cartridge razor marketing convinced me to convert. At the time life was busy and I wanted a quick convenient shave that didn't irritate my skin too badly. Fast forward name decades to several years post retirement and the realization I have the time to indulge myself and current cartridge technology gave me an acceptable shave but still some irritation.

After consulting with the B&B bible I dove in to purchase a Rockwell 6C, an Omega boar brush, and Proraso cream for sensitive skin (white tube). I have been experimenting now for 2 months with blades. Experimenting with blades has been interesting but I think I will simply commit to a 100 pack of Astras while I continue to refine my shaving technique. Once I have a handle on that I might retry other blades to see/feel the differences. So what is notable about today? My son purchased a little bottle of a preshave oil made locally (Victoria Grooming Co.) There may be better out in the market place but the improvement in comfort is a game changer! Up until today I could do 2 passes with some touch up and get an acceptable shave. It wasn't outstanding and almost always some irritation. I am using as much advice as I can glean from the forum and try to just use the weight of the razor, etc. Today with the preshave oil I did 3 full passes with a couple of touch ups. The shave was probably the closest I've ever had and no irritation.

I am hooked on shaving now. I can't wait until until the next shave. I look forward to more advice/suggestions from the forum and continue my journey in self indulgence.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Welcome! Try the Astra SS blade, unless you already have and that's the 100 pack you are thinking of getting.
Looking forward to your journey my friend!

Dave

Today was the day! Thought I might share it with a sympathetic group...

I am hooked on shaving now. I can't wait until until the next shave. I look forward to more advice/suggestions from the forum and continue my journey in self indulgence.
It's not all self-indulgence. Taking care of your appearance can improve your mood and the mood of the people around you. There is also something to be said for learning to do a task well and taking some pride in it.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Welcome to B&B
I have to agree with @FarmerTan on the Astra SS blades (blue pack)
Now you've discovered the difference a new product can make its time to get falling down those rabbit holes.

You're on the right road. For the first six months or a year, change is your enemy. And I agree with you about pre-shave oil.

Today was the day! Thought I might share it with a sympathetic group.

I started shaving many decades ago with a DE razor, probably Gillette and shaving foam because that is what my father did. Continued until the cartridge razor marketing convinced me to convert. At the time life was busy and I wanted a quick convenient shave that didn't irritate my skin too badly. Fast forward name decades to several years post retirement and the realization I have the time to indulge myself and current cartridge technology gave me an acceptable shave but still some irritation.

After consulting with the B&B bible I dove in to purchase a Rockwell 6C, an Omega boar brush, and Proraso cream for sensitive skin (white tube). I have been experimenting now for 2 months with blades. Experimenting with blades has been interesting but I think I will simply commit to a 100 pack of Astras while I continue to refine my shaving technique. Once I have a handle on that I might retry other blades to see/feel the differences. So what is notable about today? My son purchased a little bottle of a preshave oil made locally (Victoria Grooming Co.) There may be better out in the market place but the improvement in comfort is a game changer! Up until today I could do 2 passes with some touch up and get an acceptable shave. It wasn't outstanding and almost always some irritation. I am using as much advice as I can glean from the forum and try to just use the weight of the razor, etc. Today with the preshave oil I did 3 full passes with a couple of touch ups. The shave was probably the closest I've ever had and no irritation.

Welcome to B&B and congrats!

Now let's dig into it:

Proraso white cream is "MEH" category at best, so that shave oil simply added the much needed lubrication, that the cream lacks.

You deserve better than that, a nice soap that will lubricate the skin throughout the shave and treat your skin post shave, all while smelling great. I'd have a look at this page. Pick the one (or two) you might be familiar with scent wise:

Scent Descriptions – Stirling Soap Company

You can thank me after your first shave 😉

Thank you all for the suggestions and encouragement. I have a growing list of items you've suggested I try. It appears to be a common affliction in one's shaving journey. I purposely have kept my software and hardware to a minimum trying to get a better handle on my technique. Since my epiphany day I've had good shaves and mediocre shaves. Clearly I need to practice!!

On another note:
I appreciate the friendliness and camaraderie amongst the B&B members. I frequent forums regarding other hobbies and they seem to attract more extreme views. Shaving is such a subjective experience that there will be differing opinions. The members here seem to accept it. I plan to hang around here longer. :thumbup:

Top Bottom