What's new

Shaving Epiphany!

Today was the day! Thought I might share it with a sympathetic group.

I started shaving many decades ago with a DE razor, probably Gillette and shaving foam because that is what my father did. Continued until the cartridge razor marketing convinced me to convert. At the time life was busy and I wanted a quick convenient shave that didn't irritate my skin too badly. Fast forward name decades to several years post retirement and the realization I have the time to indulge myself and current cartridge technology gave me an acceptable shave but still some irritation.

After consulting with the B&B bible I dove in to purchase a Rockwell 6C, an Omega boar brush, and Proraso cream for sensitive skin (white tube). I have been experimenting now for 2 months with blades. Experimenting with blades has been interesting but I think I will simply commit to a 100 pack of Astras while I continue to refine my shaving technique. Once I have a handle on that I might retry other blades to see/feel the differences. So what is notable about today? My son purchased a little bottle of a preshave oil made locally (Victoria Grooming Co.) There may be better out in the market place but the improvement in comfort is a game changer! Up until today I could do 2 passes with some touch up and get an acceptable shave. It wasn't outstanding and almost always some irritation. I am using as much advice as I can glean from the forum and try to just use the weight of the razor, etc. Today with the preshave oil I did 3 full passes with a couple of touch ups. The shave was probably the closest I've ever had and no irritation.

I am hooked on shaving now. I can't wait until until the next shave. I look forward to more advice/suggestions from the forum and continue my journey in self indulgence.

Today was the day! Thought I might share it with a sympathetic group...

I am hooked on shaving now. I can't wait until until the next shave. I look forward to more advice/suggestions from the forum and continue my journey in self indulgence.
It's not all self-indulgence. Taking care of your appearance can improve your mood and the mood of the people around you. There is also something to be said for learning to do a task well and taking some pride in it.

Welcome to B&B
I have to agree with @FarmerTan on the Astra SS blades (blue pack)
Now you've discovered the difference a new product can make its time to get falling down those rabbit holes.

Today was the day! Thought I might share it with a sympathetic group.

I started shaving many decades ago with a DE razor, probably Gillette and shaving foam because that is what my father did. Continued until the cartridge razor marketing convinced me to convert. At the time life was busy and I wanted a quick convenient shave that didn't irritate my skin too badly. Fast forward name decades to several years post retirement and the realization I have the time to indulge myself and current cartridge technology gave me an acceptable shave but still some irritation.

After consulting with the B&B bible I dove in to purchase a Rockwell 6C, an Omega boar brush, and Proraso cream for sensitive skin (white tube). I have been experimenting now for 2 months with blades. Experimenting with blades has been interesting but I think I will simply commit to a 100 pack of Astras while I continue to refine my shaving technique. Once I have a handle on that I might retry other blades to see/feel the differences. So what is notable about today? My son purchased a little bottle of a preshave oil made locally (Victoria Grooming Co.) There may be better out in the market place but the improvement in comfort is a game changer! Up until today I could do 2 passes with some touch up and get an acceptable shave. It wasn't outstanding and almost always some irritation. I am using as much advice as I can glean from the forum and try to just use the weight of the razor, etc. Today with the preshave oil I did 3 full passes with a couple of touch ups. The shave was probably the closest I've ever had and no irritation.

Welcome to B&B and congrats!

Now let's dig into it:

Proraso white cream is "MEH" category at best, so that shave oil simply added the much needed lubrication, that the cream lacks.

You deserve better than that, a nice soap that will lubricate the skin throughout the shave and treat your skin post shave, all while smelling great. I'd have a look at this page. Pick the one (or two) you might be familiar with scent wise:

Scent Descriptions – Stirling Soap Company

You can thank me after your first shave 😉

Thank you all for the suggestions and encouragement. I have a growing list of items you've suggested I try. It appears to be a common affliction in one's shaving journey. I purposely have kept my software and hardware to a minimum trying to get a better handle on my technique. Since my epiphany day I've had good shaves and mediocre shaves. Clearly I need to practice!!

On another note:
I appreciate the friendliness and camaraderie amongst the B&B members. I frequent forums regarding other hobbies and they seem to attract more extreme views. Shaving is such a subjective experience that there will be differing opinions. The members here seem to accept it. I plan to hang around here longer. :thumbup:

Top Bottom