What's new

Shaving Disaster

A little over a month into straight shaving and I was reminded this morning that shaving is an art. It requires your focus and attention.

After a couple of weeks of nearly perfect shaves I experienced one full of nicks and weepers and razor burn.

It started off well. Lathered up, nicely sharp Dovo Inox slicing through the hairs and me going to that happy place where shaving achieves meditative bliss.

The first sign of trouble was a little slice on the chin, a momento from a brief wane of attention. What followed was a succession of nicks and weepers to teach me humility. It was like watching a figure skating routine where the skater has that first little trip or stumble and then proceeds to fall apart as the mistakes get bigger. Also, I've discovered that certain areas of my face are prone to producing rivers of blood when other areas just give the odd weeper.

This was capped off by the application of aftershave where I performed the dance of pain, complete with vocal accompaniment.

On a positive note, the next shave will be better.

Less cocky, more attention and slow down will be my mantra.

How about you? What was your shaving disaster. Share with us all so we may learn.

Last time I was pretty much at "meditative state" also, steel on face, and the :censored: bathroom door slammed just behind me.
It is not a nice thing to happen when shaving with a straight razor. Now I am aware to close all windows on windy days.

When the stars are aligned and the angels sing, nothing beats the feeling of a close shave from a straight. It requires zen master but the reward is beyond description. I have a couple of DE's too. They do an excellent job but the experience is less fulfilling. Not to put them down. They just don't give me the full experience a straight does when all is going well. YMMV.

Whatever your choice, I wish you a BBS.

Thanks for the reminder. No need to tense up, but also can't relax to a state of total brain disengagement, either. Just when you get too comfortable with a tool is when it will up and bite you.

Top Bottom