What's new

Shaving disaster at my house!

Well, this morning was just about the worse shave ever. Two things happened at nearly the same instant to cause this. First, somehow my butter fingered self manage to drop and BREAK JCBB(Joel's Cool Blue Bowl). This is a disaster of the first order in and of itself! Of course when it fell, I tried to grab it in mid air. I was too slow. So, just as it hit and broke into two large pieces, it ricocheted off the counter and cut a nasty gouge in my right wrist. All this happened in a split second. What a bollocksed up morning. This was my second attempt at using my new jar of Charles Tyrwhitt shave cream. The first time I used way too much water and got watery lather and a lousy shave. This morning I had to break out the old straight sided bowl I used to use and lathered in it. I did not get great results. Yet again the lather was not "just right". I assign most of this to still being a bit shook up. I don't know, it's almost as if I'm not supposed to enjoy or get good lather from the Tyrwhitt. The most irritating thing was losing JCBB! This was gifted to me a few years ago by the man himself and I've used it daily since. It was almost perfectly sized. It fit superbly on top of my hot pot to make a fine double "warmer" not boiler. It had the nice concave sides to keep the lather worked back into the middle of the bowl, and it was just the right depth to allow lots of lather building without banging the brush handle on the sides. I have saved the parts and will find a local ceramic potter to make me a new one using this as a pattern. Alas, it will have to be in a different colour. To mimic the sky blue of the original JCBB would be ceramic plagiarism. Dang it fellas, this is a real bummer and I had to shed some blood over it as well. I await the well deserved verbal onslaught for allowing such an irriplaceable piece of shavingdom to be lost.

Regards, Todd

Sorry to hear about that Todd. Perhaps a period of morning is in order? Or one of penance? Ah penance! Yes, that's the ticket. Some act of self abnegation so horrible that all will consider it as expiation! I've got it! I've got it!
A weeks shave using a '40s SS and a Wee Scot! :wink:

Or, keeping in the spirit of hallowed B&B advice, you really should go out and buy yourself some new shaving toys!

Start small--go to Target and pick up a chili bowl as a temporary replacement for your lost friend, then wander over to the Proraso section and stock up on shave cream and after shaves.

After you're feeling a bit better--give it time. . .:wink: --get online and buy a new shave cream. . .Taylors avocado would make ME feel much, much better.

Hang in there!

Hi guys. Thanks for the condolences. No John, there's no gluing this one. There's about a quarter sized spot missing on the rim where I suppose it hit the counter. The rest is all there in two large pieces but the "hole" is big enough to leak all over the place.

Ron, I'm more than willing to do penance but with the wee laddy and a superspeed? Nearly capital punishment old boy. Oh well, buying up supplies is out too. The wife really raised and eyebrow when THREE packages showed up last week. I'd better not press it. I'll simply have to sulk til it passes over.

Regards, Todd

Todd,

Like the old saying goes..."sometimes your the windshield, sometimes your the bug!"

On the bright side, things can only get better!

Randy

Xert said:
A mach3 and some Barbasol for a week will cure his butterfingers.

While being sent back to a M3 could easily be seen as punishment (at least by those of us who dislike the cartridge razors - though, some do love them), I don't know that it would be a cure for a serious case of butterfingers. In my experience, using a M3 good technique or with poor technique will produce similar results - a poor but expensive shave. You could shave in the dark with loud music playing and not notice much difference. :001_rolle

Now, to cure a serious case of butterfinger syndrome I would suggest a frighteningly sharp straight (which I fear and do not own). This would inspire steady hands through fear (and if we have learned anything post 9-11, it is that fear is a powerful tool to inspire results)

NMMB said:
While being sent back to a M3 could easily be seen as punishment (at least by those of us who dislike the cartridge razors - though, some do love them), I don't know that it would be a cure for a serious case of butterfingers. In my experience, using a M3 good technique or with poor technique will produce similar results - a poor but expensive shave. You could shave in the dark with loud music playing and not notice much difference. :001_rolle

Now, to cure a serious case of butterfinger syndrome I would suggest a frighteningly sharp straight (which I fear and do not own). This would inspire steady hands through fear (and if we have learned anything post 9-11, it is that fear is a powerful tool to inspire results)

Ah, a Feather straight...NOW we're thinking boys!

Top Bottom