What's new

Shaving cream scents

I'm sorry in advance for the stupid question, what is the point of having a shaving cream that is scented? Once you apply aftershave you won't be able to smell your shaving cream anymore.

If I use a scented shaving cream will affect the smell of the aftershave after?

Sorry for the stupid question , I'm a newbie.

Some people use unscented balm, plain witchazel or an alum block for their aftershave, and others nothing at all, in which case some scents will linger on for a while I have found.

If you do use a scented aftershave I doubt that most of the relatively mild scents of shave creams would affect it as the strength of the parfum in it will be a lot stronger.

PS welcome to the club, this is a friendly place where well intentioned questions are never viewed as stupid :)

Most are scented anyway so I usually choose a soap or cream with a scent I really like and most likely I'll use the matching aftershave/balm

Scents make shaving much more enjoyable and not everyone uses an aftershave. Some can really linger. If I shave with Proraso Red (I shave in the evening) I can still pick up the sandalwood scent on my skin the next day.

The original purpose of scent was to mask any unpleasant odors in the soap or cream. Most shaving cream scents are there just to make shaving more enjoyable and don't linger after they are rinsed off.

The more modern hyper-scented products coming out of the artisans are a way for them to add value to a product with very inexpensive ingredients. IOW, mostly marketing. If you don't like hyper-scented soaps/creams, you can find unscented ones, or use old school products that don't have a strong scent.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I shave before I shower so really the scents are gone after shaving anyway. As mentioned before, it does make the actual shaving experience a little more exhilarating.

Some people use unscented balm, plain witchazel or an alum block for their aftershave, and others nothing at all, in which case some scents will linger on for a while I have found.

If you do use a scented aftershave I doubt that most of the relatively mild scents of shave creams would affect it as the strength of the parfum in it will be a lot stronger.

PS welcome to the club, this is a friendly place where well intentioned questions are never viewed as stupid :)

Thank you. I was wondering as well, if people try to match the shaving cream with the aftershave or vise versa.

Last edited:
When you say matching, do you mean the shaving cream and the aftershave have the same scent?
Yes, many producers offer a cream and/or soap for shaving with a matching Splash (Alcohol) and/or Balm and even an additional EdT.

What are you currently using?

It's down to product differentiation and enjoyment.

Some scents will linger. It doesn't even have to necessarily be a strong scent. And often times it can be paired with an aftershave, sometimes avalaible in the same fragrance, for a layered effect.

I like spreading stuff on my face that smells good. Sometimes I match the soap, aftershave and cologne to form a chord that works for me, sometimes I use the same brand/scent for all three. I like to smell nice stuff.

Top Bottom