What's new

Shaving cream reviews

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Yeah, just keep it rolling brother. I'm subscribed. I used to like Burt's Bees in my pre-DE days. But since learning to use a proper brush, I found it failed to satisfy. I ended up PIFing the tube to a guy who needed a brushless cream.

Say, is that big bottle of 4711? Hope there's a review coming of that juice.

Yeah, just keep it rolling brother. I'm subscribed. I used to like Burt's Bees in my pre-DE days. But since learning to use a proper brush, I found it failed to satisfy. I ended up PIFing the tube to a guy who needed a brushless cream.

Say, is that big bottle of 4711? Hope there's a review coming of that juice.

Thanks for the support. Yeah I'm gathering a bunch of stuff for a super PIF, mostly all the stuff I bought, tried, and didn't like. I figure someone else can give it a try and keep it or pass it along. As far as that bottle of 4711, yes it is a big bottle which I just so happened to pick up at the bed bath and beyond. That stuff is unique to say the least. I'll write a review just for you.

Today's shave cream was one I've been using for some time now. I found this stuff at a local grocery store and blindly bought it. It seemed good based on what I'd read on the container. I also like that each purchase plants a tree. I haven't followed up to see if it's true but I should.

The scent of this product is citrus which is very light while face lathering. It whips up a real nice lather with a moderate amount of product. Certainly nowhere near the 100 shave claim on the bottle but your mileage may vary.

This cream provides good lubrication while affording some moisturizing to the face. I like to follow up with a splash of HBG bay rum and Pacific shaving co. balm. Makes my face feel fine, no tightening and plenty of moisture.

Overall I highly recommend this product, I just wish it came in a larger size. They recently had a sale in which the purchase of two products netted a free product. Check to see if it's available before you buy.

As requested, a quick review on 4711.

I'd seen a photo of this stuff somewhere on this forum. Looked cool and what I read about it was nothing but praise. I found it at my local bed bath and beyond and pulled the trigger.

The scent out of the glass is pleasant, reminiscent of a mixture of floral and citrus. It's hard to describe for me. It doesn't really matter what it smells like in the bottle, it's all about how it smells once it's applied.

I splash this stuff on, breath in and relax, just like the bottle says. It works as far as I can tell, I always fell better after I do that. Once this stuff is on you the top notes are quite pronounced, what they may be exactly eludes me. After about seven to ten seconds the top notes fade and the heart notes emerge which are easily identifiable as citrus. I believe lemon and maybe orange. It's very pleasant for a moment as the heart notes fade into the light floral base notes. I'd say half an hour after application the scent calms down and you catch whifs of the citrus and florals throughout the day.

I recommend giving it a try. Just don't buy the giant 400 mL bottle like I did, in case you don't like it.

Attachments

• $IMG_20160329_191334.jpg
    $IMG_20160329_191334.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 69
  • $IMG_20160329_191424.jpg
    $IMG_20160329_191424.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 68
Today's shave cream was one I've been using for some time now. I found this stuff at a local grocery store and blindly bought it. It seemed good based on what I'd read on the container. I also like that each purchase plants a tree. I haven't followed up to see if it's true but I should.

The scent of this product is citrus which is very light while face lathering. It whips up a real nice lather with a moderate amount of product. Certainly nowhere near the 100 shave claim on the bottle but your mileage may vary.

This cream provides good lubrication while affording some moisturizing to the face. I like to follow up with a splash of HBG bay rum and Pacific shaving co. balm. Makes my face feel fine, no tightening and plenty of moisture.

Overall I highly recommend this product, I just wish it came in a larger size. They recently had a sale in which the purchase of two products netted a free product. Check to see if it's available before you buy.

As requested, a quick review on 4711.

I'd seen a photo of this stuff somewhere on this forum. Looked cool and what I read about it was nothing but praise. I found it at my local bed bath and beyond and pulled the trigger.

The scent out of the glass is pleasant, reminiscent of a mixture of floral and citrus. It's hard to describe for me. It doesn't really matter what it smells like in the bottle, it's all about how it smells once it's applied.

I splash this stuff on, breath in and relax, just like the bottle says. It works as far as I can tell, I always fell better after I do that. Once this stuff is on you the top notes are quite pronounced, what they may be exactly eludes me. After about seven to ten seconds the top notes fade and the heart notes emerge which are easily identifiable as citrus. I believe lemon and maybe orange. It's very pleasant for a moment as the heart notes fade into the light floral base notes. I'd say half an hour after application the scent calms down and you catch whifs of the citrus and florals throughout the day.

I recommend giving it a try. Just don't buy the giant 400 mL bottle like I did, in case you don't like it.
Big fan of Pacific Shave Cream, although I usually use it as an additive.

How does that work? Do you use it as a lather booster, scent booster, moisture booster, glide/cushion booster?
lather booster for a stubborn soap. The scent is light enough it rarely intrudes. Most of the time I'm a solo soap user, but some of my soaps are harder to build a thick lather with than others.

Tonight I decided to try the shaving cream I got for my wife from Pacific shaving company. As I mentioned in my earlier review of Pacific shaving company shave cream for men, they had a buy 2 get 1 promo. With my free product I chose the women's version which comes in a nice lavender colored tube and looks exactly like the green men's version.

I was most curious to discover what the scent of the women's version was composed of. As I was shaving with this stuff I couldn't help but think, "wow this stuff smells like candy, maybe licorice." I had to read the ingredients to confirm my suspicions. It turns out it's very similar to the men's just with added lavender and licorice. It smells great just not my favorite.

As far as the quality of the shave this stuff produces. Well it turns out it's remarkably similar to the men's version I reviewed earlier.

Good to know the women get the same quality shave products we do. The way I see it, if I get bored with the citrus I have another option to use.

Coming up in my next few reviews are African soap cream, Ursa major cream (which is 21 bucks a tube! Crazy), and not a cream but Williams mug soap which came with an old spice shave mug I bought at an antique store.

Attachments

• $IMG_20160330_205744.jpg
    $IMG_20160330_205744.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 50
Tonight's shave cream is from a local company called Ursa Major based in Stowe, VT. I've seen this stuff on the shelves at my local co-op for 21 dollars which is very expensive for my use. Shaving everyday at that price, this stuff better be mixed with gold and diamonds.

Luckily I didn't have to blow a small fortune just to try this stuff out. I managed to snag some samplers at another local retailer for 50 cents.

The product states that each packet is good for three to four shaves but I didn't agree. Each packet was good for one good two pass shave. Like the other products I've reviewed, this was another latherless cream which is really no fun. This stuff was also very thick and lotion like, smelled mildly medicinal and was a tad more resilient during rinsing than other soaps/creams.

The shave was smooth and the cream provided good cushion and glide. I didn't get a chance to read the ingredients yet but something in there gave me a mentholated tingling sensation after the first pass. It went away shortly.

This cream was a bummer for me for so many reasons. No lather no fun. The scent is lackluster and wasn't enjoyable to smell throughout the shave. The overly thick, lotion like qualities are less than desirable for me. The increased difficulty in rinsing the product off my razor, hands and face, although slight, was still annoying enough for me to pass on buying.

Overall not worth the 21 dollar price tag in my humble opinion. There are cheaper, funner, better smelling options out there.

Hope that helps. Happy shaving.

So I just noticed the photo shows this stuff is Burlington, VT based. I checked. HQ is in Stowe and their second locale is Burlington.

Attachments

• $IMG_20160331_195734.jpg
    $IMG_20160331_195734.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
So today I decided to hop into a Kinney drugs that happened to be near by the Asian market we were shopping at. Good thing I did because that had an impressive selection of shaving creams and aftershaves. So I'll be reviewing two new creams. I'm pretty interested in the pine tar soap but that's not a cream and has recently been reviewed.

Attachments

• $IMG_20160406_204910.jpg
    $IMG_20160406_204910.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom