What's new

Shaving Cream Banishment

How bad does a shaving cream have to be before you decide that you will never use it again?

For me, I can still tolerate a shaving cream that has a bad scent but good performance - however, it would have to have some pretty damn stellar performance to overcome a horrid scent! :tongue_sm

If the cream has neither, then I am in a tough spot - I hate having stuff lying around that I don't use, so I would probably PIF the cream or trade it in.

What would you guys do?

I haven't yet found a cream that I can't tolerate, although some are better than others, none that I'd be forced to get rid of.

The same can't be said for soaps. I had an awful reaction to Provence Sante. It smelled great, lathered up like crazy, but when I shaved with it, I got some bad irritation. I don't think it was from the blade or my technique, so it must have been the soap. I tried it two more times with the same result, so eventually, I had to throw it away. Its a shame, because I really wanted to like that soap, but it didn't like me.

I had some Caswell Massey 1752(?) that was so lame I tossed it, didn't even work that well for a superlather. I'd heard it was bad but it was 2/3 off at a closing store, so...

Don't think I'd use an ill-smelling cream to begin with. There are too many good creams, cheap, without that problem.

I haven't run into any creams that I hate to the point of throwing it away. Actually, maybe one - the Bath & Body Works shaving cream line was pretty bad. They were so bad that I felt bad about PIF'ing them to someone. Even then, I did not throw my 2 tubes away...I just superlathered them with a few soaps since the scent was decent.

I haven't run into any creams that I hate to the point of throwing it away. Actually, maybe one - the Bath & Body Works shaving cream line was pretty bad. They were so bad that I felt bad about PIF'ing them to someone. Even then, I did not throw my 2 tubes away...I just superlathered them with a few soaps since the scent was decent.
Are you talking about C.O. Bigelow Proraso? That's the only shaving cream I know of that B&BW carries. Or maybe they have another line that isn't as well known, or not available in all stores?

I'm considering super-lathering this crappy one with some Godrej Menthol Mist to form a menthol-eucalyptus mutant cream!

Are you talking about C.O. Bigelow Proraso? That's the only shaving cream I know of that B&BW carries. Or maybe they have another line that isn't as well known, or not available in all stores?

I love the C.O. Bigelow / Proraso cream they sell. However for a brief moment of time, BBW sold their own brand of shaving cream and aftershave balm. Both were terrible and a complete letdown. I am not sure how the two products made it past testing considering C.O. Bigelow is stocked 5 feet away and performs 1000x better --- You would think they would have compared the two at the same time during testing. In any case, the shave cream is not sold anymore in their stores or at their website. However, you can still find it on Amazon through various sellers:

http://www.amazon.com/Bath-Body-Wor...=8-2&keywords=bath+and+body+works+shave+cream

I guess I should mention that it was a brushless cream with 0 protection, 0 glide, and was difficult to wash off...

I've had a few creams that didn't make the cut. Simpsons was terrible. It smelled horrid, even though it was supposed to be unscented, and it burned my face. Dr. Selby's cream burned and so did Old Spice and Godrej. None of those last three smelled very nice either. Oh, I almost forgot: TOBS Jermyn Street burned like mad too. It smelled great though.

Anything with menthol. Just not for me. So Proraso green and white are out. Unfortunately, I bought all four of the Proraso types.
I also bought a tube of Burts Bees shaving cream. Put it on my brush, wouldn't lather even a little bit so I washed it off. Brought it back to Target for a refund.

KMF just did not work for me. Tried two scents.
I know others love it.
Took mine back to Whole Foods and they graciously accepted the return.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 170
I am a soap guy and cannot remember the last shave which I had with cream. In the course of giving my soap collection the 3017 treatment, I have discovered a couple which weren't worth using- on a performance and quality of shave basis. They had often been gifts but life is too short to shave with poor soap (or cream!)

There are too many great creams out there to put up with anything that you don't love using. I'm currently going through some of my products trying to decide if I love them or like them. If I just like them, they're gone.

While I haven't bought anything that I won't use, I have a couple TOBS creams and a couple DRH creams that don't see much use. The TOBS don't react with my face well, but the scents aren't bad. The DRH creams both perform great, but I get enough eucalyptus goodness from my COB, and the other is rose which I'm not the biggest fan of.

Top Bottom