What's new

Shaving Cream Acquisitions

Had a very nice hot towel shave at Truefitt & Hill in London a couple of weeks ago before my students arrived. The barber used Apsley, which I really liked. I wish now I had bought some while I was there.

After the shave, I walked over to Taylor of Old Bond Street and went a little wild (for me) and bought tubs of Royal Forest, Sandalwood, and Avocado (x2), and a tube of Avocado for when I travel. Then I walked over to D.R. Harris and bought a stick of Sandalwood and a tube of Eucalyptus. I browsed a bit at Trumpers but didn't buy anything. I'm sure that will last me a year, and I'll be headed back again next May (it's an annual study abroad trip for my students) and I'll be able to resupply.

I'm just starting out compared to the collections I think many of the B&B members have. I really liked being able to wander around the stores and smell the various creams and soaps and after shaves. I found that some I thought would be good, given comments here, didn't actually smell nice to me, while others that I didn't think I would like (Avocado) smelled good. No guessing to get what I liked suited my sense of thrift. I do wish I had picked up some of that Apsley, though...

Had a very nice hot towel shave at Truefitt & Hill in London a couple of weeks ago before my students arrived. The barber used Apsley, which I really liked. I wish now I had bought some while I was there.

After the shave, I walked over to Taylor of Old Bond Street and went a little wild (for me) and bought tubs of Royal Forest, Sandalwood, and Avocado (x2), and a tube of Avocado for when I travel. Then I walked over to D.R. Harris and bought a stick of Sandalwood and a tube of Eucalyptus. I browsed a bit at Trumpers but didn't buy anything. I'm sure that will last me a year, and I'll be headed back again next May (it's an annual study abroad trip for my students) and I'll be able to resupply.

I'm just starting out compared to the collections I think many of the B&B members have. I really liked being able to wander around the stores and smell the various creams and soaps and after shaves. I found that some I thought would be good, given comments here, didn't actually smell nice to me, while others that I didn't think I would like (Avocado) smelled good. No guessing to get what I liked suited my sense of thrift. I do wish I had picked up some of that Apsley, though...

TOBS and DRH are excellent lines, have the Grapefruit from Tayloys and Eucalyptus from DR and they're some of my favorites

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have Palmolive and Omega and Bigelow on the way. Eventually I want to try Speik and Derby. I’ve used soap for years but now I’m leaning more into the cream camp because it seems slicker, more hydrating and more gentle on my skin.

I have Palmolive and Omega and Bigelow on the way. Eventually I want to try Speik and Derby. I’ve used soap for years but now I’m leaning more into the cream camp because it seems slicker, more hydrating and more gentle on my skin.

Out of all of those the Speick is my favorite, though I haven't tried the Derby yet. Palmolive is excellent performance and value but the scent isn't my favorite. Omega and Bigelow are basically Proraso in my experience, if you've tried that before.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Out of all of those the Speick is my favorite, though I haven't tried the Derby yet. Palmolive is excellent performance and value but the scent isn't my favorite. Omega and Bigelow are basically Proraso in my experience, if you've tried that before.
Actually, Palmolive is the only one I have experience with and that was in the late ‘60s and early ‘70s when it was made in the US. Soap scents don’t blow my skirt up one way or another so that doesn’t affect my preferences. After Bigelow, I’ll try Speik and likely leave it at that and pick a favorite from the four. Palmolive seems to out perform the soaps I currently use.

I think you'll find TOBS Avocado performs very well, particularity in "slickness", which I find to be my paramount parameter. For some reason, Avocado seems slicker than my other TOBS products.

TOBS and DRH are excellent lines, have the Grapefruit from Tayloys and Eucalyptus from DR and they're some of my favorites
I couldn't agree more with the DRH comment. Great performance, and great scents. I've just started exploring the line via samples, and my first up was Arlington, which immediately made it to my "purchase" list!

Just received my refill of Captain's Choice Bay Rum. Thanks @Captain Pre-Capsize It's such a pleasure doing business with good folks!
20190815_124815.jpg20190815_125139.jpg

I just ordered a tub of Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood yesterday, I was pif'd a sample of it when I got a brush reknotted and I was hooked after the first smell.

CF Cedarwood / Sandalwood arrived a week ago, so the great CF performance I've come to expect but sadly with the aroma of generic sawdust. And I have a good sense of smell and am familiar with both scents. Guess I should have tried the 1445 instead. Their Lime has been wonderful (2nd tub).

Just bought a tube of Palmolive Sensitive with aloe vera.
Silky smooth cream with a scent similar to the stick and not the classic cream. It has a I little aloe vera and it's sliiiick. Maybe the best in the Palmolive creams.
If you find some buy it. I paid 1,40€ which is less than 2$.

Recently picked up my first tube of Fine's cream; I hope eventually he will offer his other scents to the cream line up

proxy.php

Recently picked up my first tube of Fine's cream; I hope eventually he will offer his other scents to the cream line up

proxy.php
+1

I would be excited to get my hands on some Lavender pour homme in cream form, should he ever make it.[emoji846]

I just received, last weekend, a tube of Trumper Spanish Leather. Hopefully today my order of Proraso Blue will arrive. [emoji106]

Top Bottom