What's new

Shaving by Candle light !

First winter weather issues of the season started yesterday and unfortunately due to an Auto accident my little community was without heating gas from 3 am Sunday morning till 10:30 pm Sunday night so I did not shave and just thought I would wait till this morning before work. Well, low and behold during the night a nice size thunderstorm came thru our area and knocked out electricity. I had hot water so I was able to locate one candle that was in my house and and a small battery operated light source and have a quick morning shave that was quite nice. Used the La Toja stick and the Muhle 41 as I had 4 day growth going. Now I realize I need to go out and purchase a few more candles, batteries and other emergency items because no one needs to shave in the dark!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I use small twisty flashlights that use a single "AA" battery.
I tail stand them and they light up an entire room.
The ones I use are the Olight EOS I2 and I3

We got nailed with 30-70cm of snow Saturday night. I had about 2 feet to deal with, shoveled for 8 hours. Then the plow came in the middle of the night and I had to shovel again at 5 am this morning. Still had running hot water and light, did a super lather with Palmolive stick (grated) and AOS Sandlewood. Great three pass shave.

Martym thanks for the tip and I will check those lights out. Driftwood , shoveling snow is something I have never really had to do here in Texas...I have shovelled a lot of things just never any snow. I will say a nice hot shave despite using a candle for light was still a great shave.

I feel for you. My furnace is out and it is no fun. Thankfully I do have electricity and can shave with the lights on.

If you ever want to experience snow shovel king your more than welcome to visit! It's not half as light as it looks in pictures.

Driftwood, several years back I decided driving a truck would be a good adventure. Not so much. Had a trip from Vancouver to Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina, back into the US at Pembina. This was 2007 or so and at Saskatoon the snow started coming down. Now, nothing against the great country of Canada but I was ready to get back to the states. With the blizzard conditions roads were closed everywhere. Luckily they just used barricades and I was able to go around. I didn't stop until I got to the boarder which was closed. Then just inside the US a few miles they had the gates closed on the interstate. I spent two nights at a truck-stop with no showers. I had more than enough snow that week to last a lifetime. I realized then I would never move farther north than I am right now in Arkansas. Canada is a beautiful country with some great people but you can keep the snow.

I'm a Canadian ex-pat living in Dubai. The weather here is fantastic, but I still miss the snow from time to time. Hearing about having to shovel snow for eight hours helps keep that madness at bay.

I know the feeling Tom. Last year when Hurricane Sandy hit I had no heat or power for 6 days. At the time I normally cold-water shaved, but after day 2 it got to be too much and I started growing a beard :wink2:

Now I realize I need to go out and purchase a few more candles, batteries and other emergency items because no one needs to shave in the dark!

Get yourself one of these LED lanterns http://www.homedepot.com/p/Energize...52WRH/202020734?keyword=FL452WRH#.UpPEluLAET0 and a couple of LED headlamps and extra batteries. You'll never want to be without them after you've had them around during a blackout.

A Kelly Kettle (the full kit) is a nice item to have as well, for hot water and cooking. http://www.kellykettleusa.com/KellyKettle

And hey, shaving in the dark is good for your technique :lol:

You could always skip the razors and multi-purpose the candles for beard waxing. I'm sure that would be just the thing to make a power outage more enjoyable. :lol:

Power outage would mean no hot water here, meaning no shaving.

Once I get my own house, I definitely want propane water heater. I'll have a backup generator, as well. Nice thing about town water is they rarely are out of power. Even if all else is down, I believe they have generators to keep the water pumping...

Back-up generators? Bah, for wusses!
Well, until the SWMBO decided she had to have hot water after hurricanes.
So, just for fun...

$candle light shave-5238s.jpg

Back-up generators? Bah, for wusses!
Well, until the SWMBO decided she had to have hot water after hurricanes.
So, just for fun...

View attachment 388205

Great pic and pretty dang close to yesterdays reality for me. I was pretty fortunate that we did have hot water as our Gas had been turned on the night before after an all day gas outage on Sunday. What was probably the hardest part was being without my morning cup of Joe, the shave however was perfect! Looks like many around the Mid West are having it a lot harder than I did with the Winter Storm. Everyone stay safe and remember when you do shave by candle Light make sure you don't lean to close into said Candle Light ...whiskers do burn. LOL!

thanks, and i'd recommend using a splash cologne, never a spray around the flame, imo.
hope you midwesterners get power back before the holiday.

Top Bottom