What's new

Shaving brushes - why just badger

What if other animals were used? Bear? Wolverine? What kind of difference would there be between a badger and it's cousin, the wolverine? And how cool would it be say that you shave with a brush made from wolverine or bear?

Just thinking out loud here, feel free to chime in :)

Well it isn't just badger. There is synthetic, boar, horse, mixes of all of them. I'd imagine the animals were either easier to farm or get a hold of when shaving brushes were starting to be made? Of course I have no facts on the matter, but...This actually really makes me remember how in another thread I posted about wanting to see a documentary on brushes being made from start to finish. There could be something in the process that just works better with the types of hair? Be interesting to see what others come up with here.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Wolverine and bear are both rarer than badger, which are considered a pest in China where most badger hair is harvested. I could see wolverine and bear going extinct if we started harvesting them for shave brushes.

The water retention capacity, smooth sensation on the face, and durability of badger hair are claimed to be unmatched by other synthetic or natural materials.

Synthetic bristle (usually nylon) has traditionally held much less water than badger hair (impacting negatively on it's effectiveness in producing lather).
Boar hair has a tendency to break more easily than badger hair and is associated with having a more prickly feel on the face.
Horse hair fell out of favour as a result of Anthrax back in the 1920's (although not an issue these days).

It would be cool to have a shaving brush made from your own hair. Sadly I don't have enough loft or I would try it! :lol:

I can't vouch for it's accuracy, but the line I've always read is that boar and badger are the two animals who's bristles are best at quickly absorbing water and then releasing it just as quickly. Other animals use their hairs to repel water, so they don't absorb it very well.

Horse hair fell out of favour as a result of Anthrax back in the 1920's (although not an issue these days).

Would horse hair make a cheaper, more viable alternative to badger hair now? Is there anybody producing horse hair brushes now?

I can't vouch for it's accuracy, but the line I've always read is that boar and badger are the two animals who's bristles are best at quickly absorbing water and then releasing it just as quickly. Other animals use their hairs to repel water, so they don't absorb it very well.

I've heard this too. Kind of makes you wonder ... If a badger falls into a pond, does he double his weight and drown?

Would horse hair make a cheaper, more viable alternative to badger hair now? Is there anybody producing horse hair brushes now?

Get your Vie-Long's from Gifts and Care (a vendor here on B&B). Juan is awesome to deal with and he definitely has the most Vie-Long's on any one site that I have seen.

Top Bottom