What's new

Shaving brushes on the road

We are doing more traveling lately and have several extended trips planned as well as some shorter trips. I used to travel quite a bit for business and generally used a minimalist approach for the most part. I have decided not to go minimalist because I enjoy the variety of different products and see no reason not to continue that on the road. I have a few dedicated travel shaving brushes but I consider any brush a travel brush with the right vented container. My only rule is that I don't take any brush that can not be readily replaced.

This trip, which was fifteen days in duration, I took a Kent BK8, Vulfix travel brush in its case, Da Vinci travel brush and a rebuilt Made Rite 58 that I fitted with a TGN Super Silvertip knot. No real surprises with the BK8 that I used with cream, or the Vulfix because they performed as expected. The real surprise was the Da Vinci travel brush which, while I have used at home to break in, was on its maiden voyage. I only used it with shave sticks and this brush performed fabulously. I took La Toja, Irisch Moos and TOBS St. James sticks and this brush performed extremely well with all of them. Granted TOBS ST. James is such a great performer that I think you can get a great lather with a Q-tip but nonetheless the Da Vinci performed fabulously. Another great performer was the TGN knot. I used this brush when, because of time constraints, I knew that it would be put in its container with out being fully dried. It performed extremely well and came out of the trip with no adverse effects. As I gather more experience in putting together my brush rotation for future travel I think that I have found a few winners.

Regards,

Doug

I'd rather have my favorite with me on vacation. Who's to say the house won't burn down or get burgled if I leave my favorite at home. Come fall, I expect to bring my favorite Rover on vacation along with the Thater I'll have by then. This reminds me that I'll have to order an extra Muhle travel tube for it.

Top Bottom