What's new

Shaving Brush Value

Good Morning,
Curiosity is getting the best of me.
I have been selling my 30 year hoarding collection of miscellaneous treasures (which my wife confuses with junk), so I recently listed a Rubberset Pure Badger 750 (see pics) for sale on Ebay with a Buy Now price of $33.33 then went to bed and it was snagged before I woke up a few hours later.

I was just asking myself, "Did I priced it too cheap?" and thought perhaps you folks could help me through my moment of extensive curiosity.

I researched Ebay before and after for comparisons and could find none matching exactly.

Did I just sell a rare one for pennies on the dollar or was it more a case of the guy/gal just happened to need that one to fill their collection and didn't feel like waiting?

Personal opinions are welcome. Thanks for your time and help.
20190607_001945.jpg

Attachments

• 20190607_002023.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • 20190607_002038.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 20190607_002101.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 20190607_002202.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Hi @LbrtyorDth -

Welcome to B&B. You may not have received a response to your question because the Terms Of Usage do not permit the discussion of valuation of items. (See Item 7.)

I will say that you did what I would have done - research past sales and give it my best guess. You never know with items that are thinly traded. It only takes one person who would be willing to pay whatever it takes because your brush looks exactly like the one used by the person's grandfather. That doesn't mean that the $500 the person would spend represents the market value of the brush.

Sorry to not be of more help.

I wouldn't worry to much on value. If you got what you believe it was worth, then that's all that matters. There are so many brush models out there that it's impossible to put a value on each one. I have a Ever-Ready 200W that I received from my Grandfather that I can not find any information on. Does that mean it rare? Possibly or it could mean no one has sold or written anything about it because it's unremarkable. I can say that it doesn't surprise me that brush went quick. It's unique and would make for a beautiful brush in anyone's collection. If you had posted it a month from now it could have sat there for weeks with no bites. Hard to say in the ebay world.

I was unaware of the value/appraisal policy, so my apologies for breaking the rules. Everything is good, as I had said, it was just curiosity. Thank you all for the responses.

Tom

I’ve had one of those brushes. As far as I know they’re not particularly desirable. Lately I have seen a handful of the less common everreadies rubber sets and similar fetch significantly more at auction than they would in the past, most likely you just got a buyer who likes the translucent handles. It’s also possible someone saw it and thought the top was real ivory, even though it’s not.

Good Morning,
Curiosity is getting the best of me.
I have been selling my 30 year hoarding collection of miscellaneous treasures (which my wife confuses with junk), so I recently listed a Rubberset Pure Badger 750 (see pics) for sale on Ebay with a Buy Now price of $33.33 then went to bed and it was snagged before I woke up a few hours later.

I was just asking myself, "Did I priced it too cheap?" and thought perhaps you folks could help me through my moment of extensive curiosity.

I researched Ebay before and after for comparisons and could find none matching exactly.

Did I just sell a rare one for pennies on the dollar or was it more a case of the guy/gal just happened to need that one to fill their collection and didn't feel like waiting?

Personal opinions are welcome. Thanks for your time and help.
View attachment 989231

WELCOME to B&B, Sir LnrtyDth!!

Tell us, where are you located???

I would say that you were lucky to get that much for it, but fortunately somebody wanted exactly what you were selling. If you had another it would likely not repeat that performance, but trends can change and something that was selling for $5 a few years ago can get hot and start selling for $100. Welcome to B&B!

Case in point. I sold a lot of handles when I stopped restoring/reknotting brushes back in the day. Was like 12 or 15 handles from EverReady, Rubberset, etc. I think I asked $20+ shipping for the whole lot.

There was a Rubberset #4 in it.

A year later, people were buying just the #4's on eBay for $100+... that handle went from worthless to hugely valuable overnight.

Top Bottom