What's new

Shaving brush not working out of box, help needed ...

Something doesn't sound right. i had a Jagger best badger brush and it never exhibited any of those problems. (The only reason I sold it is that I prefer a brush with more backbone). I would go ahead and give it a wash with either dish soap or shampoo, let it dry and then do a test lather with a cream or soap with a relatively strong scent. Rinse it and let it dry. If your still having problems the next few days after that, I would contact the vendor or Edwin Jagger about a replacement.

Strong odor from a badger is not unusual - it's just less common with some badgers than it is with some boars. Pure badger knots usually have a fair bit of 'funk' actually. Not everyone reads fragrance the same way so what is light to me might be heavy to someone else.
If you are getting brown out of the knot - wash it. If the brown doesn't go away after 1 wash, return the brush.
I have had dozens of knots that needed to be washed out first. I usually just lather on a puck I used for test lathering but shampoo can work fine too.
Lathering with a natural bristle is different than it is with a synthetic - so it might take a bit of learning to get the technique down pat.

Strong odor from a badger is not unusual - it's just less common with some badgers than it is with some boars. Pure badger knots usually have a fair bit of 'funk' actually. Not everyone reads fragrance the same way so what is light to me might be heavy to someone else.
If you are getting brown out of the knot - wash it. If the brown doesn't go away after 1 wash, return the brush.
I have had dozens of knots that needed to be washed out first. I usually just lather on a puck I used for test lathering but shampoo can work fine too.
Lathering with a natural bristle is different than it is with a synthetic - so it might take a bit of learning to get the technique down pat.
I agree

+1 more

My first pure badger smelled pretty god awful on first use and turned lather a bit murky brown. My solution was to lather it up and let it sit bristles down in a stand for a few hours then rinse out thoroughly and let dry overnight. On second use there was no discolouration and smell was much less. After a few uses the badger funk had gone completely

It also took a few uses before it stopped eating all the lather, though if you're used to synthetics it's going to require a little modification to how you use it perhaps

+1 more

My first pure badger smelled pretty god awful , though if you're used to synthetics it's going to require a little modification to how you use it perhaps

You can say that again! I used a badger about 3 days ago after having only used synths for 2 months straight. And i completely buggered up the lather with the badger. I did not start with the brush wet enough and loaded too much soap and the lather was pasty like pancake batter. The brush was all clumped up.

When you get accustomed to using the one it will spoil your skills on the other because the amount of water and when to add it is so much different between badger and synth.

Nowadays I only pull out my badger for a nostalgia shave. But I am a 95% synth user now. Like Chris Bailey on YouTube

Guys,

Sorry I haven't been able to post earlier. This week was busy and messy.

Thanks a lot for your posts, so much to know and learn, and immensely helpful. I think I am going to return my current brush if possible, and in any case order a new brush or two from Italian Barber or any of the other places that you suggest.

Thanks a lot again.

Badger funk and dirt on the first lathering happens from time to time even with brushes with a good pedigree. Sometime it washes out easy and sometimes it takes a while. Usually the dirt comes out with a few test lathers, but the funk aroma may take linger. As others have suggested, have a little patience. Sometimes a new brush is ready on the first lathering. On the dirty smelly ones I may lather them up while I'm showering for a week or two before putting them to use.

I have 2 cheap "pure badger" brushes. Both are likely cheaper than your EJ.

Both were smelling quite strong out. I didn't notice any dirt/color coming out on the lather, but it wouldn't discourage me.
What I did was to follow the advice of lathering and let the brush stand with the lather overnight.
I went with soaps and creams that are cheap, readily available and have a pleasant scent (to me). Set aside the GFT cream for now.
Next day I would rinse it in the morning, let it dry and re-lather and let sit overnight.
It took 7+ cycles to de-funk the most difficult of the two. There's still some smell.
Brushes are made with daily use in mind and they become better the more they're used.

I wouldn't think there's anything wrong with your brush.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Thanks, but is this something one has to do with all brushes?

It absolutely is not. I have 11 brushes and only one smelled - an Omega boar. None of my badgers smelled of badger funk. But I have not purchased a sub-$50 badger, so it's possible that funk removal is part of the higher fee (or better hair)?

You can certainly try a few cycles of washing, but Amazon has a very good return policy. Just sayin'.

When I tried to return a brush on Amazon they told me to just keep it for free. Its considered a hygene product

Top Bottom