What's new

Shaving bowls

Count me as another happy owner of a Captain's Choice ceramic lather bowl. I love my cobalt Seaworthy lather bowl. The base fits well in my hand and the interior of the bowl is large enough to build a good lather for (at least) three passes.

I'd recommend you check out the Captain's Choice website and get a bowl that meets your preferences. While you're at it, you may want to take a look at some of Scott's software. @Captain Pre-Capsize makes excellent shave soaps, creams, aftershave splashes, and aftershave balms in addition to his lather bowls.

F268B666-25A2-434A-88AE-C9E0891DF047.jpeg

Of course, if you really want to complete the set, you could also get a Captain's Choice mug and coaster.

3B91EF28-15E6-45E5-A9EA-013049CF3D42.jpeg

Some really great looking suggestions. I believe my first bowl will most likely be the Captain's Choice copper. I know it goes against kind of what I want in a bowl but then remembering I fall out of chairs while sitting still, it is best to wait on ceramic till I get a first bowl. Hopefully in the future I will add a Georgetown Pottery bowl or scuttle and then a Captain's Choice ceramic then I will be able to rotate.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Some really great looking suggestions. I believe my first bowl will most likely be the Captain's Choice copper. I know it goes against kind of what I want in a bowl but then remembering I fall out of chairs while sitting still, it is best to wait on ceramic till I get a first bowl. Hopefully in the future I will add a Georgetown Pottery bowl or scuttle and then a Captain's Choice ceramic then I will be able to rotate.

Falling out of chairs while sitting is quite a talent! I'm amazed by your skill of sillyness. Now, if you want a copper bowl instead, I say get either the Captains Choice deep copper bowl, or the Obsidian bowl.

I want to get a shaving bowl. I have been using a plastic tub that holds my samples, my hand or directly on my face. I don't like the face lathering. The hand lathering is not bad and I get a decent lather from it. The tub lathering is the longest time to get a good lather and I feel I use more soap than is needed.

Searching online and these forums I am wanting to find a bowl. I know I want it to have ridges, I also want it to be ceramic (they just look nice). Those who use them, how have you kept them steady while shaving? I am guessing a hand towel would be decent. What else can be done? I essentially would use the top of a toilet tank where i rest the my shaving equipment. Anyone use that sagra or whatever it is called?
Try a Japanese Suribachi bowl. They are the Japanese equivalent of a mortar and pestle. Bowl has built-in ridges for a great lather. Plus they are dirt cheap.

It's always bugged me that in any bowl the lather rides up the sides and over the edge.
So I created a DIY solution by cutting out the flat part of the lid from the 2-cup size (5" wide) Anchor Hocking glass bowl with lid. Lather doesn't ride over the edge. The tab on the lid makes a perfect thumb hold and the lid is soft plastic so there's no problem when you bang the brush handle against it. Less then $10. Perfect size and weight to sit in the hand.

Attachments

• DIY shave bowl.jpg
    DIY shave bowl.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Any bowl can work. I've seen smooth stainless bowls that serve the function well. It takes a few seconds more with a smooth bowl, but it works fine.

I use a Georgetown G12 scuttle. I figure if you're going to use a bowl you might as well have lather that gets warmer with each pass, but that's just me.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
While I made lather on my face when only shaving my face; but I'm also need a lot of lather when shaving my head, so I'm also a fan of bowl.

I also tried various hardware store solutions at first, and was even happy to modify and make my own shaving bowl.
Later, I began to want a gorgeous feeling and try more changes, so I successively got Yanagi Sori, Timeless, Captain choice...; I even just ordered Cayuen recently, because holding universe will definitely make people shave like a dominate of cosmos.

Last edited:
I usually mug lather but when I want to bowl lather I use one of two oversized cups. One is just a very large oversized coffee cup my wife found. I like the pattern, sort of a soft floral thing. It looks good in the den and works well. The other is what might be a soup bowl. It is about the same diameter but shorter. It is a beautiful cobalt blue and looks good anywhere.

I much prefer either of them, even with their smooth sides, to my scuttle. First of all, they are larger and second of all, the ridges just seem to get in the way.

Some soaps just work better with a lather bowl, especially if you are using a very large brush.

By the way, I have some very large mugs too. I mostly use them with very large brushes.

You don't need to be fancy or spend a lot of money. the beautiful cobalt blue one was found in a dollar store and the one my wife found was from a thrift store.

I just realized that I never posted what I finally chose to get for a bowl. I ended up getting a Captain's Choice copper bowl, the aquamarine one. It is a wonderful bowl I have been getting great lather out of it. I also discovered if I loosely hold the bowl while whipping up lather when my brush hits the bowl it gives a sound kind of like a buoy bell.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I just realized that I never posted what I finally chose to get for a bowl. I ended up getting a Captain's Choice copper bowl, the aquamarine one. It is a wonderful bowl I have been getting great lather out of it. I also discovered if I loosely hold the bowl while whipping up lather when my brush hits the bowl it gives a sound kind of like a buoy bell.
Some people also find that it is possible to judge the finish of lather from the sound of the CC copper bowl.

A loud singing at the beginning, as the lather gradually finishes, the sound will also become solid.

I have been looking at both of these bowls. What makes you like the wooden bowl better?

On topic, can't speak for the wooden bowl, but I do have one of the Fine bowls and think it's a really good design. I hold it in the palm and put a thumb through the handle, which works well. Also, being ceramic, it retains heat if you put it in warm water.

Top Bottom