What's new

Shaving bowls

Count me as another happy owner of a Captain's Choice ceramic lather bowl. I love my cobalt Seaworthy lather bowl. The base fits well in my hand and the interior of the bowl is large enough to build a good lather for (at least) three passes.

I'd recommend you check out the Captain's Choice website and get a bowl that meets your preferences. While you're at it, you may want to take a look at some of Scott's software. @Captain Pre-Capsize makes excellent shave soaps, creams, aftershave splashes, and aftershave balms in addition to his lather bowls.

F268B666-25A2-434A-88AE-C9E0891DF047.jpeg

Of course, if you really want to complete the set, you could also get a Captain's Choice mug and coaster.

3B91EF28-15E6-45E5-A9EA-013049CF3D42.jpeg

Some really great looking suggestions. I believe my first bowl will most likely be the Captain's Choice copper. I know it goes against kind of what I want in a bowl but then remembering I fall out of chairs while sitting still, it is best to wait on ceramic till I get a first bowl. Hopefully in the future I will add a Georgetown Pottery bowl or scuttle and then a Captain's Choice ceramic then I will be able to rotate.

Some really great looking suggestions. I believe my first bowl will most likely be the Captain's Choice copper. I know it goes against kind of what I want in a bowl but then remembering I fall out of chairs while sitting still, it is best to wait on ceramic till I get a first bowl. Hopefully in the future I will add a Georgetown Pottery bowl or scuttle and then a Captain's Choice ceramic then I will be able to rotate.

Falling out of chairs while sitting is quite a talent! I'm amazed by your skill of sillyness. Now, if you want a copper bowl instead, I say get either the Captains Choice deep copper bowl, or the Obsidian bowl.

I want to get a shaving bowl. I have been using a plastic tub that holds my samples, my hand or directly on my face. I don't like the face lathering. The hand lathering is not bad and I get a decent lather from it. The tub lathering is the longest time to get a good lather and I feel I use more soap than is needed.

Searching online and these forums I am wanting to find a bowl. I know I want it to have ridges, I also want it to be ceramic (they just look nice). Those who use them, how have you kept them steady while shaving? I am guessing a hand towel would be decent. What else can be done? I essentially would use the top of a toilet tank where i rest the my shaving equipment. Anyone use that sagra or whatever it is called?
Try a Japanese Suribachi bowl. They are the Japanese equivalent of a mortar and pestle. Bowl has built-in ridges for a great lather. Plus they are dirt cheap.

It's always bugged me that in any bowl the lather rides up the sides and over the edge.
So I created a DIY solution by cutting out the flat part of the lid from the 2-cup size (5" wide) Anchor Hocking glass bowl with lid. Lather doesn't ride over the edge. The tab on the lid makes a perfect thumb hold and the lid is soft plastic so there's no problem when you bang the brush handle against it. Less then $10. Perfect size and weight to sit in the hand.

Attachments

• DIY shave bowl.jpg
    DIY shave bowl.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Top Bottom