What's new

Shaving bowls

I want to get a shaving bowl. I have been using a plastic tub that holds my samples, my hand or directly on my face. I don't like the face lathering. The hand lathering is not bad and I get a decent lather from it. The tub lathering is the longest time to get a good lather and I feel I use more soap than is needed.

Searching online and these forums I am wanting to find a bowl. I know I want it to have ridges, I also want it to be ceramic (they just look nice). Those who use them, how have you kept them steady while shaving? I am guessing a hand towel would be decent. What else can be done? I essentially would use the top of a toilet tank where i rest the my shaving equipment. Anyone use that sagra or whatever it is called?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
A location might be appropriate.. general location.. the States? the UK? the EU?... etc. because of shipping costs.

I prefer an unbreakable bowl; metal or plastic. A Captain’s Choice copper bowl is an excellent option; my favorite is the Obsidian. On the plastic end of the spectrum, I recommend the Pereira Shavery Unbreakable. Both of these bowls are held in the hand while building a lather and won’t damage your bathroom vanity or sink. You could certainly rest them on a towel or washcloth between passes, but I don’t find it necessary.

Good luck in your quest to find the perfect bowl!!

I highly recommend the Shave Nation ceramic bowl. I think it is the perfect shave bowl. It is smooth inside, but I think that ridges and bumps are overrated in my experience. I also have the Captain’s Choice copper bowl but I hardly ever use it. I create much better lather with the Shave Nation bowl even though the copper one has ridges.

903C78A1-3DAF-4F82-BE7E-FA2CA8432DB8.jpeg

Ceramic looks great, but…they chip, crack, and get broken. Sooner or later soapy hands, elbows, or a spontaneous movement will knock whatever you end up with over eventually. Happy hunting, lots of great choices available.

I don’t like to break things. My top three are: Pereria - super functional with brush holder handle -expensive for molded plastic, never going to be confused as art; Timeless - like crocs - functional foam; cheap; fits palm well; indestructible; likely to live at my locker at the gym; Cayuen - artisan made - can wind up or down with the ridges - not always availble - may need to special order - difficult to clean out - if you do that every shave (i don’t)

I don’t like to break things. My top three are: Pereria - super functional with brush holder handle -expensive for molded plastic, never going to be confused as art; Timeless - like crocs - functional foam; cheap; fits palm well; indestructible; likely to live at my locker at the gym; Cayuen - artisan made - can wind up or down with the ridges - not always availble - may need to special order - difficult to clean out - if you do that every shave (i don’t)
I am all in on the Timeless bowl - I have 2 and won’t give them up. It is the only bowl I use anymore.

I'm also a fan of unbreakable things. I'm accident-prone!

There were some good suggestions already. I really like the Pereira bowl which is a functional masterpiece. Some cheaper options include a Turkish copper bowl and a salsa bowl.

1653259840134.png

1653259959999.png

1653260025475.png

I am in the US. I just liked the look of ceramic bowls. Looking at the posted copper bowls, they look decent as well. I was looking at having ridges because my thinking is this, if lathering up in my hand gave me the best lather I can do and do it pretty quickly, I figure the ridges would give me the results I want/like.

I am in the US. I just liked the look of ceramic bowls. Looking at the posted copper bowls, they look decent as well. I was looking at having ridges because my thinking is this, if lathering up in my hand gave me the best lather I can do and do it pretty quickly, I figure the ridges would give me the results I want/like.
Having some texture will help you build lather faster, but most any bowl of the right size and shape will work all right. A rougher surface is enough.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My bowl is part of a Georgetown Pottery G12 scuttle. I love the warm lather.

It's small enough that I can comfortably hold it in my left had as I make lather with my right hand.

When I dry the scuttle I utilize a grip that doesn't allow for breakage: I put my fingers in the bowl and my thumb through the handle - very secure.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I want to get a shaving bowl. I have been using a plastic tub that holds my samples, my hand or directly on my face. I don't like the face lathering. The hand lathering is not bad and I get a decent lather from it. The tub lathering is the longest time to get a good lather and I feel I use more soap than is needed.

Searching online and these forums I am wanting to find a bowl. I know I want it to have ridges, I also want it to be ceramic (they just look nice). Those who use them, how have you kept them steady while shaving? I am guessing a hand towel would be decent. What else can be done? I essentially would use the top of a toilet tank where i rest the my shaving equipment. Anyone use that sagra or whatever it is called?

(1) You want a bowl that has ridges.... ☑️
(2) You want the bowl to be ceramic... ☑️

I suggest heading over to Captain's Choice website, go to shop all products, and scroll down till you see the lather bowls. The first ones in the list will be copper bowls, thats not want you want. Keep scrolling down and you will see the ceramic hand crafted sea-worthy lather bowls. Pick from any of those that tickles your fancy.

I have the Captain's Choice Seaworthy Starry Night lather bowl, have a look!

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Thank you for making my recommendation easy on me, and allowing me the chance to be your enabler for this evening. 😝

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
May i suggest getting a scuttle. Its ceramic, has ridges, and makes warm lather. Plus they look really nice.

I got mine from Georgetown pottery, they have them in several different color schemes.

A scuttle he says, well I just happen to got you covered there as well! 😁

Presenting, the one and only, the absolutely and positively gorgeous, Captains Choice Starry Night Scuttle!

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom