What's new

Shaving bowl with a texture

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Hopefully it’s an easy one.

I looked at the art store this week and found some polymer clay that I can cook in the oven. It’s not very expensive and if it doesn’t work, it’s no big deal.

I don’t have a wheel to do pottery and I never made a pot out of clay before. But… trying new stuff is always fun. Even if it fails…

My plan is make a shaving bowl with a texture inside. I’ve been looking at pictures for a while now but I’m not sure if the texture is raised from the bottom of the bowl or if I will need to push and make a trench(let’s call it like that for now)? I don’t think it matters much (if it’s raised, pushed in or a combination of both) but who knows? I don’t want to break the space continuum…

I will post some results when I have them. Thank you all!

Luc

Staff member
Subscribed. Looking forward to seeing the end result.
I can promise it won't be pretty... but functional... or not... 🤣

So... 2 out of 3...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Sounds like a fun project. The polymer clay they have now is some amazing stuff.
I've done some stuff with Sculpey and it's great.

Reactions: Luc

Luc

Staff member
2x 2oz Sculpey polymer clay

The cup was a mold to shape the clay.

I promised it wouldn’t look good! Accomplished!

It’s in the oven right now. It may work. 275F for 15 mins.

There’s a cooling time after and then, test time!

2EF7FDF5-F815-4D39-9C79-C04305E6BC7A.jpeg
7D119278-3AA2-40BC-BA52-6CCD54BDDEAB.jpeg
9D29DA92-525C-49D4-874E-9F38228959C5.jpeg

Luc

Staff member
63D26B59-04EE-410D-91F5-8F8A924B74C3.jpeg
8A23A187-A87E-430C-810C-E1279E17EC68.jpeg

Cooked! And it works!

So, this is now hard but light. Since it’s polymer, it’s not hard like clay. Out of the package, it’s a bit harder than playdoh but soft enough to work with.

I did not apply any finish or sealer since this isn’t supposed to be porous. I will report back if anything changes while I use it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
View attachment 1343226View attachment 1343227

Cooked! And it works!

So, this is now hard but light. Since it’s polymer, it’s not hard like clay. Out of the package, it’s a bit harder than playdoh but soft enough to work with.

I did not apply any finish or sealer since this isn’t supposed to be porous. I will report back if anything changes while I use it.
The more you work it raw, the softer it gets.
Looks like a success story!

Reactions: Luc

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Interesting design Luc. Considering that you made it free hand with no potters wheel etc it turned out rather well. I am also interested to see how long it may last.

Luc

Staff member
Interesting design Luc. Considering that you made it free hand with no potters wheel etc it turned out rather well. I am also interested to see how long it may last.
First pot, zero experience with that (closest thing is playdoh or plumber putty), no wheel.

So far it’s holding no problems

Luc

Staff member
Just wondering how the Shaving bowl is holding up @Luc ? Still using it ?
Surprisingly yes! No issues at all! It’s holding up! No leaks or soft spots. I think it’s a nice little project that doesn’t cost much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    787 KB · Views: 12

Luc

Staff member
Any update on the shaving bowl @Luc? Just wondering how it is holding up?
I will try to get a picture. It's holding up. I have zero issues with it. I'm very surprised by it. I mean, it's not pretty but it works!

Top Bottom