What's new

Shaving bowl question

I purchased a ceramic shaving bowl that is glazed inside and out, the only part not glazed in the outside bottom. Is that a concern?
Thanks in advance for the help.

I purchased a ceramic shaving bowl that is glazed inside and out, the only part not glazed in the outside bottom. Is that a concern?
Not at all, that's pretty much how all bowls are being glazed as the un-glazed surface is the resting surface during the coating process, even though certain manufacturers go the extra mile. As long as the important 'working' surface is coated -it might even be crazed, though highly unlikely for a new bowl- it's all fine and dandy.

Last edited:
Not at all, that's pretty much how all bowls are being glazed as the un-glazed surface is the resting surface during the coating process. As long as the important 'working' surface is coated -it might even be crazed, though highly unlikely for a new bowl- it's all fine and dandy.
Ok thanks

I also found if the surface is rough you can use a piece of emery cloth to make it very smooth. I once got a Georgetown Pottery Scuttle in and the bottom was very rough. When I got done with it it was smooth as silk.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My face is my bowl now bit when I used a bowl, I grated my pucks and squashed them in the bowl to keep them from sliding about.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets

I have studied basic pottery.

Pottery is stacked in the process of making and kiln firing, so the bottom is usually not glazed to avoid sticking.
Certain techniques can be used to glaze the bottom, but additional support must be used to avoid sticking.

Top Bottom