What's new

Shaving before shower: aftershave a good idea?

As far as I remember, Grandpa shaved - some lukewarm water, shaving soap, aftershave. I also use this technique and it makes my neck very happy and the shave works perfectly for me :jump:

Last edited:
I usually shave in the evening, when I can relax and enjoy some lovely "solitude time," and I shower in the morning, so this is not an issue with me. However, on some weekend mornings when I do shave, it's always shave before shower, as the warm water of the shower always feels so nice on my freshly shaved face and neck. The A/S splash (usually Lucky Tiger after a shower) and balm are applied after my shower, which is after my shave, which is before my breakfast and coffee, which is before taking my dog Yogi for a walk, which is before deciding what afternoon cocktail will be paired with a late lunch, which is before my wife decides where we're going for dinner and which wine we'll be choosing. Wow ! that's a lot of stuff going on ! LOL ! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
(So sorry for the tongue-in-cheek rant, but I'm having a lot of fun with this post ! -- with all the craziness in today's world, we certainly need to take some time to laugh at ourselves and have some fun !)

Last edited:
I can remember the feeling of burn and sting as the Head & Shoulder shampoo slowly trickle from the dome to my face.
This is why I shave after..haha

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have always shaved before I showered. I still apply balms, lotions, colognes after my shower. I think it still helps my skin.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Not set in my ways on this one. Unlike other parts of my shave where I have lots of idiosyncratic ways when it comes to showers sometimes before sometimes after.
I use the left over lather from the shave to wash my face whatever.

Unless I misunderstand, the OP is not requesting advice on the merits of shaving before or after showering. He is asking whether, from a skincare perspective, there is any benefit to applying aftershave immediately after shaving, given that he now shaves before he takes a shower. I often do the same and my answer is no, I wait until after the shower.
Yes, that was what I was getting at. I get a nice sensation from the aftershave immediately post-shave, but then I am wasting the stuff -- which even at Proraso/Clubman prices is not free.

Top Bottom