What's new

Shaving Attire?

Apparently at some time there was an item of a man's wardrobe called a "shave coat" or "shaving jacket". Near as I can figure with my rather weak Google-Fu it started out as a rather spendy item a Victorian dandy would own...Silk, elaborately lined, perhaps with cording and lapels and rather like a smoking jacket, but you wore it when shaving, an item completely separate from the pajamas, night gown, dressing gown, bath robe and whatever the heck else those guys had in those vast closets.

At some point this thing evolved and became a sort of short robe with pockets that was manufactured for the masses. Poking around on the innerwebs I've seen some short sleeved examples, and some long sleeved, but they are both called "shave coats". When I was a kid I remember my dad having something like this.

This got me thinking (uh-oh), and since we have discussed every other aspect of shave geekery, what about shaving attire?

For me, in the evening it's mostly strip to the waist and have at it, although the rarer morning or weekend shave sometimes gets done in a fleece robe, and now that I think about it it does add a certain leisurely air to the proceedings.

Does anybody out there give any thought at all shaving garb?

Is there a market for a modern day luxury shave coat, perhaps with a B&B logo?

What does any of this have to do with Williams or the Veg, anyway? :blink:

I have, incidentally, just purchased a vintage silk shaving robe.:biggrin1:
I'll post pictures when I get it back from the dry-cleaners.

Usually just a towel around the waist after a shower. If its a weekend I'll throw on my robe after and sip a glass of bourbon in my recliner.

Last edited:
I shave IN the shower, which makes the shaving jacket awfully heavy, but one must keep up appearances, mustn't one?

I shave right after a shower with usually just my towerl wrapped around my waist.

For some reason, when I hear(or read) the term "shaving coat" the first thing that comes to mind is that white robe thing Seraphim was wearing in one of his older stropping videos.

ETA::

This video:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnqXSCFwdSU[/YOUTUBE]

Shave straight after the shower. No need for a towel as I've dried myself by then.

The way I fling lather about, the birthday suit is best! The cat isn't offended.

Gareth

If Westie posts a full-frontal picture of himself shaving on photobucket.com, he will be banned under both his real name AND his preferred web nick-name. :(

I shave standing in a bathtub.

Most mornings I shave in my everyday work attire: jodhpurs and cavalry boots, a bandolier of 8mm Lebel ammunition slung across my bare chest, and a fez.

Shave straight after the shower. No need for a towel as I've dried myself by then.

The way I fling lather about, the birthday suit is best! The cat isn't offended.

Gareth

Custom Title!

I shave IN the shower as well, so lest we soon need gallons of eye bleach, 'nuff said.

Most mornings I shave in my everyday work attire: jodhpurs and cavalry boots, a bandolier of 8mm Lebel ammunition slung across my bare chest, and a fez.

Classic stuff. :lol: :thumbup1:

You get 50,000 bonus points for simply knowing that there is such a thing as 8mm Lebel ammunition.

He's doing it wrong. :001_rolle

The sleeves are too long. While I was trying to figure out what the heck a "shave coat" was, and seeing these short sleeved robe looking things, I thought to myself, short sleeved robes look kind of silly, wonder why they did that?

The answer came to me during last night's shave, as I was dunking the sleeves of my robe in the sink.

Still haven't figured out why most of 'em had pockets. Spare puck of Williams? Smokes? Styptic storage? Place to hold your drink?

Now, the penguin in RichGem's avatar has the right sort of shave garb. The muffs might make lathering around the ears iffy, so I'd recommend a brush with a short loft.

Top Bottom