What's new

Shaving at sea?

On the way back from a holiday, I used a sleep over ferry on part of the trip. I did not have to shave that evening and the sea was calm so it would not have been especially difficult. However it got me thinking about those B&B members who spend a great deal of time at sea. How do you shave with a straight in rough weather? Do you just not shave and wait for a better opportunity? Do you use a less dangerous shaving apparatus?

The curious landcrab that I am is looking forward to some answers!

Legion

Staff member
I think Slash posted a video once with where he was shaving on a ship. If the sea was rough, I'd say most sailors would give shaving a miss. You are allowed a beard in the navy, after all.

You just get used to it. Ships roll around, but you go with it and adjust without giving it a thought. Never once did I not shave because my ship was rolling, or plowing up and down. You get your sea legs immediately after getting underway. For the record, I used an Atra, with Williams or Colgate mug soap, and some cheap synthetic brush I picked up at the Exchange.

Last edited:
I am not a straight razor user, but that would scare the heck out of me especially as I easily get motion sickness. I tip my hat to you gentlemen that can maintain the "zen" to shave with a straight.

Reminds me of a quote I read one time, something along the lines of "Anyone can shave on land, a real man can shave while underway."

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If you can eat or drink or shower or write or type or wipe your rear end or walk or talk or chew gum at sea, you can shave at sea. It really is not a big deal at all. I make and mod and hone razors at sea. Shave? I only skip when I want lots of whiskers for a shave test or something, or when I have been really short of sleep. It's only 10 minutes out of my day.

Beard? Navy? Maybe 2% of the world's seamen are in a Navy. I am one of the 98% who are not. FWIW I am not sure but I believe beards are no longer allowed in the U.S. Navy. One admiral says okay, the next one says not okay... politicians say yes, secretary of defense says no, lawyers and judges say yes, naval board of inquiry says no... I think they have changed that several times. I don't have to worry about it. If I ever meet anyone in the Navy, I will ask.

FWIW I am not sure but I believe beards are no longer allowed in the U.S. Navy.

If I ever meet anyone in the Navy, I will ask.

"Back in the day" beards sprouted on submariners while they were underway. I don't know if the custom is still followed. Probably one of those "what happens underway, stays underway" things.

FWIW we weren't allowed to use canned shaving cream either...

Ww

Got a nick the first time, it just took a little getting used to the motion. Afterwards, smooth sailing.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 138

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You just get used to it. Ships roll around, but you go with it and adjust without giving it a thought. Never once did I not shave because my ship was rolling, or plowing up and down. You get your sea legs immediately after getting underway.

This

If you can eat or drink or shower or write or type or wipe your rear end or walk or talk or chew gum at sea, you can shave at sea. It really is not a big deal at all.

And this.

US Navy does not permit beards except in special or extenuating circumstances.
And most US Navy ships are so bloody big that it's like being on land. A Destroyer can dance pretty well, but you get used to it. A Carrier is like a parking lot on a pond.

I was in the Navy from 1976-82. During that period, well-groomed and defined beards were permitted. It changed back to beardless sometime in the 1980s, I believe, and remains that way now.

I have a friend in Sweden who did his military service in a unit specially trained to cope with gas attacks. He claimed that they had to be clean shaved or else the gas masks and re-breathing equipment they used would not seal properly around the face.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That's nothing. I once shaved while I was fishing. Caught a BBS and a bluefish.

If you can eat or drink or shower or write or type or wipe your rear end or walk or talk or chew gum at sea, you can shave at sea. It really is not a big deal at all. I make and mod and hone razors at sea. Shave? I only skip when I want lots of whiskers for a shave test or something, or when I have been really short of sleep. It's only 10 minutes out of my day.

Beard? Navy? Maybe 2% of the world's seamen are in a Navy. I am one of the 98% who are not. FWIW I am not sure but I believe beards are no longer allowed in the U.S. Navy. One admiral says okay, the next one says not okay... politicians say yes, secretary of defense says no, lawyers and judges say yes, naval board of inquiry says no... I think they have changed that several times. I don't have to worry about it. If I ever meet anyone in the Navy, I will ask.

I saw your video shaving blindfolded on a boat and it looked like it would be no problem at all to shave with a straight if the water was calm.

As far as I can remember only 'special' people can have beards in the Aussie and Kiwi military.
never shaved on the water, never had to

I've used a DE with no issue on multiple deployments and months at sea. For heavy seas you shave with the your legs - they will tell you when to get the razor away from your face.

Top Bottom