What's new

Shaving at Jay Gatsby’s mansion - first shave with Gillette New Deluxe Criterion

Gents, wanted to share my very first shave experiences with this most handsome razor.

After wetshaving with carts for 30 years I started with DE’s 3 years ago. Since then I’ve shaved with 100+ different vintage razors (I am firmly in the vintage camp) and I have identified my clear preferences: I want mild shaves, 3 nick free passes with a Feather blade, and preferably with a TTO and solid bar razor. There you go, short, sweet, clear: I am a softie :blush:

This razor has neither of these caracteristics. But still I have always admired its looks from afar. And as I have literally fewer and fewer vintages razor models to try out it stirred my interest when my good buddy Thomas (@It’s Hedley) suddenly posted a rave shave review of it here on B&B. Because I know from many good dialogues and various razor exchanges that Thomas and I are in the same shave preference ballpark.

So when this handsome and great condition example came up on the bay (I believe a 17 milimeter version as the baseplate measures 17mm between the teeth) I thought what the heck, I’m feeling adventurous, let’s give it a go!

THE SHAVE
And let me immediately conclude: I concur fully with Thomas’ findings: This puppy is a keeper. It is probably one of the most efficient razors I ever tried, but at the same time it is remarkably smooth and the blade feel is quite tolerable.

0D1A7A55-9794-4696-B4E7-D82F3E8A1F10.jpeg

But first things first, let’s take a closer look at it before shaving: In hand this Gillette is a beast, a lot heavier than you would think (it weighs in at 77 grams but feels even heavier) but it is definitely a gorgeous looking beast. That handle pattern is so artistic and unique and the chromium shines like the ballroom at Jay Gatsby’s mansion. Amazing really for a 90 year old razor.

I loaded it up with a Feather on its 2nd day and went to town. After the first couple of strokes WTG I stopped and reflected. Very very good start, smooth and the heft of the razor makes it natural to not apply any pressure. I experimented with angles and find that you get very different feel as you vary the angle, I need a few more shaves under my belt to hit the right angle right away.

First pass went like a charm, second pass also. The balance and grip of this razor is very good indeed. During the third pass I was thinking that this razor probably would benefit (on my face) on only doing 2 passes, as it started to feel pretty close. But still nice.

Final result: Extremely close shave, no nicks, redness, or anything negative. A bit of sting on the application of aftershave (I am a menthol nut also) but still nothing too bad. Very nice actually. As I write this I have a wonderful face feel.

In conclusion I really like this razor. It is definitely not mild as a Super-Speed, Rocket or Tech, not even as mild as my beloved first generation open comb British Aristocrats. And for my face it probably cuts too close to use it as a daily 3-pass driver. But smooth as an Aristocrat it definitely is.

I think (and it seems that Thomas would concur) that this is a perfect razor for that slow, wonderful, appreciative King Gillette weekend shave.

Happy shaves, fellas.

3AAAD581-EAED-484C-8CCC-F360E4BE0A60.jpeg
F57887C1-3E9E-466D-9A1F-9FBC2E467D85.jpeg

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Great review Peter and another fabulous acquisition, that is some collection you have my friend. Just when I think I am satisfied with my own razors you go and do this 😁

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Stellar review, as always, Peter. I’ve never owned the chromium version; but I did have a gold-plated version for a spell. A work of art, indeed! Congrats on a great score. I’ll be watching to see if this experience pushes you down an OC razor rabbit hole.

Great review and I am happy you too experienced similar results to my time with the Chromium NEW Deluxe. The NEW Deluxe, the New SC, and the #160 Goodwill are the best shaving vintage open comb Gillette razors for me personally, with the NEW Deluxe the more efficient of the three. All three smooth and effortless.

I hope you have many happy King Gillette Weekend shaves with your new toy! :thumbup:

Beautiful razor! Thanks for sharing the pics and the story of your first shave with it.

I had one of these but with a gold finish, and I also had the head of a 17 mm New Deluxe in the past. Sold both of them, but they were both nice razors. They just didn't make it into my regular rotation like I thought they would.

I remember a few years ago there was a lot of discussion about the 17 mm versus the 15 mm baseplate; some people were convinced the 15 mm was a slightly better shaver, but I don't think there was a consensus. My logical brain prevailed (for once) and I didn't go out and chase after a 15 mm version to do the comparison myself.

Now my tangential question for the razor experts on the board:
Do ALL the two-piece versions of this razor have 17 mm baseplates? Just curious.

Thanks so much for all your kind comments, gentlemen! - Nothing like shaving first time with a new-to-you vintage razor, right?

Tomorrow I am in for another such treat as I will be shaving for the first time ever with an early 1939-45 Canadian Tech Fat Handle, graciously bestowed upon me by our very own @kingfisher - thanks so much Randall!

Gonna pull mine out later this week. Pics coming up.

A razor I will probably never sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gents, wanted to share my very first shave experiences with this most handsome razor.

After wetshaving with carts for 30 years I started with DE’s 3 years ago. Since then I’ve shaved with 100+ different vintage razors (I am firmly in the vintage camp) and I have identified my clear preferences: I want mild shaves, 3 nick free passes with a Feather blade, and preferably with a TTO and solid bar razor. There you go, short, sweet, clear: I am a softie :blush:

This razor has neither of these caracteristics. But still I have always admired its looks from afar. And as I have literally fewer and fewer vintages razor models to try out it stirred my interest when my good buddy Thomas (@It’s Hedley) suddenly posted a rave shave review of it here on B&B. Because I know from many good dialogues and various razor exchanges that Thomas and I are in the same shave preference ballpark.

So when this handsome and great condition example came up on the bay (I believe a 17 milimeter version as the baseplate measures 17mm between the teeth) I thought what the heck, I’m feeling adventurous, let’s give it a go!

THE SHAVE
And let me immediately conclude: I concur fully with Thomas’ findings: This puppy is a keeper. It is probably one of the most efficient razors I ever tried, but at the same time it is remarkably smooth and the blade feel is quite tolerable.

View attachment 1064300

But first things first, let’s take a closer look at it before shaving: In hand this Gillette is a beast, a lot heavier than you would think (it weighs in at 77 grams but feels even heavier) but it is definitely a gorgeous looking beast. That handle pattern is so artistic and unique and the chromium shines like the ballroom at Jay Gatsby’s mansion. Amazing really for a 90 year old razor.

I loaded it up with a Feather on its 2nd day and went to town. After the first couple of strokes WTG I stopped and reflected. Very very good start, smooth and the heft of the razor makes it natural to not apply any pressure. I experimented with angles and find that you get very different feel as you vary the angle, I need a few more shaves under my belt to hit the right angle right away.

First pass went like a charm, second pass also. The balance and grip of this razor is very good indeed. During the third pass I was thinking that this razor probably would benefit (on my face) on only doing 2 passes, as it started to feel pretty close. But still nice.

Final result: Extremely close shave, no nicks, redness, or anything negative. A bit of sting on the application of aftershave (I am a menthol nut also) but still nothing too bad. Very nice actually. As I write this I have a wonderful face feel.

In conclusion I really like this razor. It is definitely not mild as a Super-Speed, Rocket or Tech, not even as mild as my beloved first generation open comb British Aristocrats. And for my face it probably cuts too close to use it as a daily 3-pass driver. But smooth as an Aristocrat it definitely is.

I think (and it seems that Thomas would concur) that this is a perfect razor for that slow, wonderful, appreciative King Gillette weekend shave.

Happy shaves, fellas.

View attachment 1064301View attachment 1064299
that's a beauty .still loving the popular.cheers Brit.:c2::c2:

Top Bottom