What's new

Shaving as an ASMR

It finally occurred to me why shaving is so appealing to me... among other things.. it's just a string of ASMRs... sights and sounds that elicit an emotional response... building lather in the bowl.. the feel of the brush and warm lather being applied to my face... and the best one... the sound of the blade as I shave... anyone else? thoughts?

It finally occurred to me why shaving is so appealing to me... among other things.. it's just a string of ASMRs... sights and sounds that elicit an emotional response... building lather in the bowl.. the feel of the brush and warm lather being applied to my face... and the best one... the sound of the blade as I shave... anyone else? thoughts?
It doesn't technically trigger an ASMR in me, but I can certainly see that it could do that for some people. All the elements are there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Interesting thought! You may be on to something here!

I’ll pay attention to whether my response is ‘emotional’ or a sense of accomplishment at a job well done.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
I like it when a razor is silent (or reasonably close) when I drag it across my skin. Smoooooth.

The fairly audible feedback from a Rockwell 6S is for some people one of its attractive characteristics, but I prefer a tactile form of feedback to auditory.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Never heard of ASMRs before, but I feel less emotionally invested than many here.

If I'm choosing not to be full bearded, then I need to shave. I simply want that shave to be efficient and comfortable, and not too tedious. I don't get off on scents, or aesthetics of kit and products. I'm not aware of any sensations, other than those directly involved in the experience. I don't feel elated opening a newly arrived package of stuff I don't need. Building lather is nothing more than necessary - a means to an end.

I do enjoy the feeling of a blade cleanly cutting through stubble, and the feeling of a stubble free face at the end. Everything else, is just there to enable that.

Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR)

A calming, pleasurable feeling often accompanied by a tingling sensation. This tingle is said to originate in a person's head and spread to the spine (and sometimes the limbs) in response to stimulation.

Although it has features that are bound to be asmr triggers for many people, and although I experience asmr, I never experience it during the shave. Sometimes I get asmr when I am rinsing out the brush after the shave is over.

Thankfully ASMR was explained above or I'd have to google it. At 57 years old, I don't think I've ever had ASMR.

I do enjoy a feeling of accomplishment when I get a great shave with minimal irritation. I consider myself a beginner at shaving so I'm still learning a new skill. I enjoy it but I don't tingle.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Finally following more and more instructions for non-damaging technique and one of them was to turn off the bathroom fan. Against the grain passes; especially ones done well; have a splorchy sound that seems ASMR-applicable.

People who vocalize in ASMR-friendly patterns are destroying their vocal folds. That constricted fry ain‘t fly, m’guy.

Finally following more and more instructions for non-damaging technique and one of them was to turn off the bathroom fan. Against the grain passes; especially ones done well; have a splorchy sound that seems ASMR-applicable.

People who vocalize in ASMR-friendly patterns are destroying their vocal folds. That constricted fry ain‘t fly, m’guy.
I hate vocal fry, but quite enjoy naturally husky voices. The difference is huge.

Also, generally I like soft speaking better than whispering. Turns out that whispering is actually harder on the vocal cords, in case anybody cares.

I don't know about ASMR and my shaves, but I do find something therapeutic about palm or bowl lathering just for the heck of it. I do that a few nights a week. I have more than enough soaps. I love the smell and it is really helping me with my lather technique.

Hi,

Not for me. Shaving is simply a daily chore.

For 20 years of my life it was shave every day or possibly risk death at some point during that day. In any event, there would be a time during a given day where having shaved was important. Even as a volunteer firefighter the days come where you have to enter the burning building and you have to wear SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus - a Scott Pak). If one hasn't shaved, one doesn't get a proper mask seal and many of those gasses in a fire are quite toxic.

Anyway, a daily chore. And, it still is. But, making that chore a bit less chore-like is what it is about for me.

Now, for ASMR, that comes at the race track. As an owner-driver. All the sights and sounds and smells. And, that is before strapping on the car and hitting the track. I especially like the smells. Race gas going in, race gas coming out, and tire rubber. :)

I like the smell of race gas enough to where I use it in my antique tractors. So, even mowing and working the garden has the same smells as at the race track. Well, not the rubber. No burning rubber on a tractor. Or, at least, there ought not to be! ;)

Stan

I've not come across the ASMR acronym before.
But for me shaving is many things.

A link to the past.
A bit of time to myself.
The feeling of a job well done afterwards when I can feel refreshed.
I love tactile feel of the blade cutting my whiskers.
Despite being mostly deaf the sound of whiskers being cut is pleasing to me.
The smells of soap and aftershave are pleasing.

I guess it's the combined effects of all these things that make it a great experience for me.

Top Bottom