What's new

Shaving as a hobby is not expensive

After more than a decade of DE shaving, I've finally come to the point where I feel somewhat content with all my hardware and software. Over time I've purchased way too much stuff, sold some, and purchased more. I have found the razors, soaps, aftershaves, brushes, blades, bowls, etc that work well for me and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

Have I spent too much over the years...yes. Do I regret it...nope. I don't think I would be enjoying shaving or getting such great results if I hadn't explored so many options searching for what works. Will I spend more....definitely, but not in 2022 as I joined the Purchasing Sabbatical. Next steps are to sell some gear that I no longer use.

Shaving is so YMMV it is almost impossible to determine one's tastes without actually trying stuff, and that's how it gets spendy. Of course I could stop at "good enough" but what's the fun in that?

Flying, now there's an expensive hobby.

And girlfriends have to be the most expensive of all.

Happy new year everyone!

I cannot agree more with what it was said previously that you need to try a lot of things to see what works for you. This makes it somewhat expensive even if you are not collecting or seeing it a a hobby.

I don't look shaving as a hobby and I have no ambition to make a collection. However, since my main motivation to switch from cartridges was to get a better result without having to pay for disposable razors, I would naturally try a lot of things to see what works better for me.

I am shaving for ~4 months now and I believe I am doing well. I have found a cream that works best for me after purchasing 6 soaps+creams. Most of them were not very expensive so it wasn't a very big expense. I haven't found a satisfactory brush and I have 4 of them, with 3 of them relatively cheap. So some time in the future I will buy a brush. Finally in terms of razors I am still learning. I have figured out that I like to use something that is more efficient from what I have used so far. I have 3 razors in total, but I will refrain from buying anything new till I get used adequately to what I have. But it looks that in the future I will buy another razor as well. Razors look to me the most expensive item.

Well as long as you do not discover b&b it is. But so far my photography gear is still more expensive… however since usage and spending depends on holiday usage it is now slowly a covid related zero expense and shaving is more expensive.

It depends how deep you get into it. Compared to many other hobbies like cars, bikes, watches etc. it really is inexpensive, but some people spend at least or around $100 a month on shaving stuff, which if spend right are more than enough for the average shaver to buy a decent inexpensive razor, brush, lots of blades as well as a few soaps/creams and an aftershave that can be used for a very long time.

The other thing is that if a person earns a lot of money, a few hundred or even thousand $ a year for shaving gear wouldn't be considered expensive at all. If I had a lot of money, I would have bought quite a few of the high-end razors on the market just to see what's the fuss all about. I doubt that I would end up keeping all of them, but i'm sure at least one of them would blow me away in one way or another.

I have some stuff on the way and once they arrive I don't think i'm going to buy anymore vintage razors for sure and unless some groundbreaking and of course inexpensive modern razor is released, i'm probably going to pass as well. The only thing that I might get stocked up is blades and try a few new soaps from time to time. I also don't need more brushes.

This may be a means to rationalize spending money on gear I technically don't need but I put it to you that shaving as a hobby is not expensive. Even with razors that cost hundreds of dollars along with soaps and creams and aftershaves and balms and everything else. Compared to owning a boat or a motorcycle, or collecting other things like coins, stamps, and sports memorabilia, shaving is an inexpensive alternative. Sure, you can get well into the thousands of dollars but, even then, the gear itself has residual value unlike putting $150 worth of gas in your boat or paying for a track day where that money is just gone. I also like to use fancy coffee or eating at a restaurant comparison. Many of us routinely purchase expensive coffee or eat at a restaurant and pay many tens or hundreds of dollars without thinking about it yet we'll agonize over spending $25 on blades or soap or something.

So what do you think? Do you have more expensive hobbies? Do you spend freely on shaving supplies or do you agonize over purchase? Am I just trying to justify spending money? :barbershop_quartet_
We make it expensive by chasing the next best or new old stock

My last serious hobby was drinking alcohol - it cost me my dignity, self respect, car, driving license, job, partner, child, friends, and up to £1000 per month; it almost cost me my liberty, my home, and my life. I quit drinking almost six years ago and replaced it with a range of healthy activities and hobbies, including traditional shaving once my hands stopped shaking. Now I have back everything I lost, or rather everything I chose to give away, and a whole lot more besides. Compared with drinking, shaving is not only inexpensive it is practically free; in fact Simpson are almost paying me to use their brushes - almost 😂
Amen

I spent in this hobby in order to save. I’ve accumulated enough blades to last the rest of my life. My soaps and creams are set for a long time. I’ve got 2 brushes and several aftershaves. No more razors for me either. I’m quite content. So yes, I’m saving money!

Happy new year everyone!

I cannot agree more with what it was said previously that you need to try a lot of things to see what works for you. This makes it somewhat expensive even if you are not collecting or seeing it a a hobby.

I don't look shaving as a hobby and I have no ambition to make a collection. However, since my main motivation to switch from cartridges was to get a better result without having to pay for disposable razors, I would naturally try a lot of things to see what works better for me.

I am shaving for ~4 months now and I believe I am doing well. I have found a cream that works best for me after purchasing 6 soaps+creams. Most of them were not very expensive so it wasn't a very big expense. I haven't found a satisfactory brush and I have 4 of them, with 3 of them relatively cheap. So some time in the future I will buy a brush. Finally in terms of razors I am still learning. I have figured out that I like to use something that is more efficient from what I have used so far. I have 3 razors in total, but I will refrain from buying anything new till I get used adequately to what I have. But it looks that in the future I will buy another razor as well. Razors look to me the most expensive item.
Same to you guys

I'm brand new to this DE shaving thing, and perhaps naïve, but one of the things that appeals to me is how cheap it seems, at least at the top of the rabbit hole, compared to my other hobbies.

Little tweaks—new blades, soaps, etc.—are quite cheap. Bigger ones—brushes, new razors, etc.—aren't that much compared to comparable changes in other hobbies.

So coming from turntables and general audiophilia, I find even $400 for a top razor pretty light going. On other forums, people talk about $1200 moving-coil phono cartridges as "moderately priced," with the high end getting up to $5000 and more. Then you have phono stages, tonearms, turntables themselves, amplification, power conditioners, loudspeakers, etc., and best not even to bring up cabling, which can cost more than a boat and (to my poor ears) results in vanishingly small sonic improvements. And then there's records, records, records.

Give me a $30 soap or $40 for a hundred premium blades any day. And maybe less insanity, compared to psycho-acoustic madness ("I just got this $3000 power cable and the improvement is not subtle! Astounding!")? Maybe? I mean, you can actually feel and see the different results, right?

I'm brand new to this DE shaving thing, and perhaps naïve, but one of the things that appeals to me is how cheap it seems, at least at the top of the rabbit hole, compared to my other hobbies.

Little tweaks—new blades, soaps, etc.—are quite cheap. Bigger ones—brushes, new razors, etc.—aren't that much compared to comparable changes in other hobbies.

So coming from turntables and general audiophilia, I find even $400 for a top razor pretty light going. On other forums, people talk about $1200 moving-coil phono cartridges as "moderately priced," with the high end getting up to $5000 and more. Then you have phono stages, tonearms, turntables themselves, amplification, power conditioners, loudspeakers, etc., and best not even to bring up cabling, which can cost more than a boat and (to my poor ears) results in vanishingly small sonic improvements. And then there's records, records, records.

Give me a $30 soap or $40 for a hundred premium blades any day. And maybe less insanity, compared to psycho-acoustic madness ("I just got this $3000 power cable and the improvement is not subtle! Astounding!")? Maybe? I mean, you can actually feel and see the different results, right?
Welcome

Even better, most premium DE blades are anywhere from $7-$20 (USD) per 100. Many excellent soaps are about $15-$20.

it was expensive kinda when i first began chasing scents along with learning what soaps.gear worked best for me .my vaping costs more expense wise along with my tarantula keeping hobby :laugh: so long as i keep my addict brain mentality under wraps things dont get outta control

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have always approached interests that could turn into hobbies by acquiring the items selectively, usually only one, better than average by a good margin but far from the most expensive, and then using it and treasuring it forever. The approach has served me well, not just with my razor and two brushes, but with my pen, my guitar, and my cookware, even my apparel. To "Use it up, wear it out (if it is susceptible to wearing out), make it do" I would add "enjoy it and treasure it."

I have always approached interests that could turn into hobbies by acquiring the items selectively, usually only one, better than average by a good margin but far from the most expensive, and then using it and treasuring it forever. The approach has served me well, not just with my razor and two brushes, but with my pen, my guitar, and my cookware, even my apparel. To "Use it up, wear it out (if it is susceptible to wearing out), make it do" I would add "enjoy it and treasure it."
I like this approach and do the same myself. It’s more enjoyable to use decent gear from the start. You can develop your skills without the gear holding you back.

I’m the long run it’s much cheaper than starting too low or high. Most often the gear will be serviceable for many years and plenty good enough for your needs. If it turns out that you’re really into it you may well choose to buy the best. Your original gear will have some resale value if you choose to upgrade or cash out down the track.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I like this approach and do the same myself. It’s more enjoyable to use decent gear from the start. You can develop your skills without the gear holding you back.

I’m the long run it’s much cheaper than starting too low or high. Most often the gear will be serviceable for many years and plenty good enough for your needs. If it turns out that you’re really into it you may well choose to buy the best. Your original gear will have some resale value if you choose to upgrade or cash out down the track.
Amen! There may come a day (I doubt it) when I'll obsess over a Wolfman or a Blackbird or a Rocnel, but I doubt it. I absolutely love my Above the Tie Windsor and feel zero need to find something better. If I were ever to buy another razor it would not be for better but I could envision different, like a slant or SE, just to experience it...or not.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I started traditional wet shaving to save money was my thinking 4 years ago and it can be done even with a lot of shaving gear like I have now(I turned shaving into a small hobby). If a person shaves daily like myself for decades and also trims his hair like I do you can save money and pay for your shave gear & hair clippers.
My wife was suggesting that I shave my head and after some research said it's not for me because it takes experience & time and I still have a lot of hair so just bought some hair clippers and that really saved myself some good coin and folks really did not notice, actually they were jealous because folks could not go the the barber shop 2020 because of Covid 19 and my hair was groomed & they were asking who cut your hair.
I would go to the barber in the mall spend about $26 Canadian with a tip and burn about 4 dollars of gas to get there because you have to make a appointment for a certain time monthly. So 12 X 30 =$360 per year and when I was using cartridge razors with shave gel I think I spent $80 Canadian+ dollars a year. So with haircut savings and with Gillette fusion cartridges savings = $440 a year.
4yrs X $440=$1,760 Canadian dollars, So this year hopefully I stop buying shave gear because I have a lot of neat razors (vintage & modern)and brushes with enough software gear for years. I will buy a few items this year but not expensive stuff like soap and a adjustable razor possibly and be money ahead a the end of this year easily!
I had a few hobby's that cost $ like Scuba diving and vacations to Scuba dive + golf member ships and golf gear & driving all over the Northern Alberta to different golf courses and golf tournaments. Yes shaving can be inexpensive as a hobby I suppose but the best part for myself I learned how to shave properly and enjoyed buying stuff and communicating on the forums about shaving related subjects.
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I started to traditional shaving to save money was my thinking 4 years ago and it can be done even with a lot of shaving gear like I have now(I turned shaving into a small hobby). If a person shaves daily like myself for decades and also trims his hair like I do you can save money and pay for your shave gear & hair clippers.
My wife was suggesting that I shave my head and after some research said it's not for me because it takes experience & time and I still have a lot of hair so just bought some hair clippers and that really saved myself some good coin and folks really did not notice, actually they were jealous because folks could not go the the barber shop 2020 because of Covid 19 and my hair was groomed & they were asking who cut your hair.
I would go to the barber in the mall spend about $26 Canadian with a tip and burn about 4 dollars of gas to get there because you have to make a appointment for a certain time monthly. So 12 X 30 =$360 per year and when I was using cartridge razors with shave gel I think I spent $80 Canadian+ dollars a year. So with haircut savings and with Gillette fusion cartridges savings = $440 a year.
4yrs X $440=$1,760 Canadian dollars, So this year hopefully I stop buying shave gear because I have a lot of neat razors (vintage & modern)and brushes with enough software gear for years. I will buy a few items this year but not expensive stuff like soap and a adjustable razor possibly and be money ahead a the end of this year easily!
I had a few hobby's that cost $ like Scuba diving and vacations to Scuba dive + golf member ships and golf gear & driving all over the Northern Alberta to different golf courses and golf tournaments. Yes shaving can be inexpensive as a hobby I suppose but the best part for myself I learned how to shave properly and enjoyed buying stuff and communicating on the forums about shaving related subjects.
Have some great shaves!
Very well thought out

Top Bottom